#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #DWTNCS #UFC 215 #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #Golovkin vs. Canelo #Conor McGregor

Renan Barao won the UFC interim bantamweight title Saturday night at UFC 149, but the Brazilian did not win over the crowd.

While those in attendance at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, may have been influenced by the preceding two bouts on the card -- both of which went to the judges’ scorecards in unspectacular fashion -- boos nonetheless rang out among the 16,000-plus fans as Barao (Pictured, file photo) calmly controlled the cage in the evening’s headliner and stifled highly regarded opponent Urijah Faber.

Though UFC President Dana White defended the main event as a measured, technical battle that should not be grouped in with the aforementioned duo of disappointing pay-per-view bouts, Barao stated that he hopes to put forth a more fan-friendly performance in his next outing.

“I’m very happy. Faber is a great fighter and a great human being. I would like to thank him for speaking out my name to fight against him. I was a bit surprised [by the boos], but that’s a good message. Next time, I will try to play a different game,” Barao said at the post-fight press conference following his unanimous decision win. “I was trying to become the champ, so I was trying to be careful as well, but next time, I’ll try to play a different game to please the crowd a little more.”

Barao used his superior reach to keep Faber at bay while landing shots on “The California Kid.” Though Faber gamely attempted to navigate the long limbs of Barao throughout the five-round affair, the onetime WEC featherweight champion came up short in his second attempt at capturing UFC gold.

“My strategy was to keep my distance, because he has a really strong right hand and I had the reach advantage,” said Barao. “So, if I could keep my reach advantage and hit him and get out, it would be better for me. That’s why my coaches designed that strategy.”

With the interim title belt now securely around his waist, Barao appears poised to confront divisional ruler Dominick Cruz -- the man Barao replaced in tonight’s main event after “The Dominator” was forced to withdraw from his rubber match with Faber due to an ACL tear. Though Barao now stands just one fight way from being regarded by most as the best bantamweight on the planet, the Nova Uniao product did not call out Cruz following tonight’s victory. Instead, the Brazilian says he will take his cues from the UFC and his coaching staff.

“It’s not up to me to decide who I fight next. It’s up to the UFC, and I’m an employee of the UFC. I’ll fight anyone,” said Barao. “Dominick Cruz is a great champ and athlete, but my strategy will be up to my coach to decide. What I can say is that I will train as hard as I can, just like I did for this fight, so I can get a win.”

Galleries

Renan Barao Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Kevin Lee: Conor McGregor is a Paper UFC Lightweight Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee fights for the interim lightweight title against Tony Ferguson at UFC 216 and says the bout will crown the real lightweight champion. read news >>

Tickets on sale this week for UFC 216 in Las Vegas, and here's the latest card

Tickets go on sale this week for UFC 216 in Las Vegas with an interim lightweight title on the line between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Smiling Tony' is enjoying training for Lee

“The theme for this camp is ‘Smile Tony,’” laughs the man challenging for the interim UFC lightweight title at T-Mobile Arena on Oct. 7. “Because when I smile in my fights, you have the fights like E read news >>

Did Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee's UFC Interim Title Fight Just Lose 10 Pounds? | MMAWeekly.com

A fight between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee has been booked for UFC 216. The bout is supposed to crown an interim UFC lightweight champion. According to a Las Vegas billboard, however, it appears the read news >>

UFC 216 lineup set with interim lightweight title headliner in Las Vegas

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return to its Las Vegas home base next month with an interim title at the top of the bill.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Here's the official poster for UFC 216, featuring Tony Ferguson looming over Kevin Lee

Check out the official poster for UFC 216, featuring an interim lightweight title affair and a heavyweight co-headliner.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Ferguson-Lee interim title fight takes UFC 216's top billing over Johnson-Borg

• a day ago

Based on a new event poster and the UFC.com bout listing, longtime UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson’s attempt at one of MMA’s most prestigious records will be relegated to co-main-event stat read news >>

Carlos Condit Ready to Book His Return Fight to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

• 20 hours ago

Carlos Condit is looking for a fight. The former UFC interim welterweight champion, who has been out of action since August 2016, dropped a message on Twitter to matchmaker Sean Shelby letting him kn read news >>

Return of 'The Natural Born Killer': Carlos Condit lobbies for UFC fight in December or January

• 20 hours ago

Former interim welterweight champ Carlos Condit emerged on Twitter with a request for UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Get To Know TUF Cast: Lauren Murphy

• a day ago

Lauren Murphy, a former Invicta FC bantamweight champion with four UFC fights to her name, didn’t feel like an MMA veteran earlier this year. Then she joined the cast of The Ultimate Fighter and ever read news >>