#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

Renan Barao won the UFC interim bantamweight title Saturday night at UFC 149, but the Brazilian did not win over the crowd.

While those in attendance at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, may have been influenced by the preceding two bouts on the card -- both of which went to the judges’ scorecards in unspectacular fashion -- boos nonetheless rang out among the 16,000-plus fans as Barao (Pictured, file photo) calmly controlled the cage in the evening’s headliner and stifled highly regarded opponent Urijah Faber.

Though UFC President Dana White defended the main event as a measured, technical battle that should not be grouped in with the aforementioned duo of disappointing pay-per-view bouts, Barao stated that he hopes to put forth a more fan-friendly performance in his next outing.

“I’m very happy. Faber is a great fighter and a great human being. I would like to thank him for speaking out my name to fight against him. I was a bit surprised [by the boos], but that’s a good message. Next time, I will try to play a different game,” Barao said at the post-fight press conference following his unanimous decision win. “I was trying to become the champ, so I was trying to be careful as well, but next time, I’ll try to play a different game to please the crowd a little more.”

Barao used his superior reach to keep Faber at bay while landing shots on “The California Kid.” Though Faber gamely attempted to navigate the long limbs of Barao throughout the five-round affair, the onetime WEC featherweight champion came up short in his second attempt at capturing UFC gold.

“My strategy was to keep my distance, because he has a really strong right hand and I had the reach advantage,” said Barao. “So, if I could keep my reach advantage and hit him and get out, it would be better for me. That’s why my coaches designed that strategy.”

With the interim title belt now securely around his waist, Barao appears poised to confront divisional ruler Dominick Cruz -- the man Barao replaced in tonight’s main event after “The Dominator” was forced to withdraw from his rubber match with Faber due to an ACL tear. Though Barao now stands just one fight way from being regarded by most as the best bantamweight on the planet, the Nova Uniao product did not call out Cruz following tonight’s victory. Instead, the Brazilian says he will take his cues from the UFC and his coaching staff.

“It’s not up to me to decide who I fight next. It’s up to the UFC, and I’m an employee of the UFC. I’ll fight anyone,” said Barao. “Dominick Cruz is a great champ and athlete, but my strategy will be up to my coach to decide. What I can say is that I will train as hard as I can, just like I did for this fight, so I can get a win.”

Galleries

Renan Barao Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC champ Max Holloway surprised his mom with a brand new truck

UFC featherweight king Max Holloway is sharing the wealth now that he’s earning championship payouts.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Robert Whittaker Breaks Down Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre (UFC 217) | MMAWeekly.com

Interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker shares his thoughts on the main event of UFC 217 between Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre is injured, but interim UFC titleholder Robert Whittaker is a patient man

UFC interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker is apparently a patient man.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Holding choke too long? UFC-Sao Paulo's Pedro Munhoz says he was instead just surprised

While it might have seemed like Pedro Munhoz held a choke too long, the UFC Fight Night 119 winner says looks can be deceiving. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC interim champ Robert Whittaker picked Michael Bisping, will wait for Georges St-Pierre

Robert Whittaker favored Michael Bisping to beat Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217, but it looks like he’ll fight GSP instead.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Robert Whittaker: Georges St-Pierre 'looked slower than he's ever been' at UFC 217

If UFC interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker gets the next crack at Georges St-Pierre, he feels good about his chances.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Volunteer list grows: UFC vet Shane Carwin interested in Bellator grand prix

Former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin, who’s previously flirted with the idea of an MMA return, is apparently interested again.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

UFC to review Colby Covington's 'uncalled for and inappropriate' insults against Brazil

Colby Covington’s first Brazilian outing ended with intense boos and flying objects. That might not be all the punishment coming his way.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 video highlights: Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price

Check out the UFC Fight Night 119 video highlights for Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 video highlights: Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Jack Marshman

Check out the UFC Fight Night 119 video highlights for Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Jack Marshman.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>