#UFC Fight Night 126 #Conor McGregor #UFC on Fox 28 #Donald Cerrone #UFC on FOX 17 #UFC 221

Paige VanZant: 'I've Passed Out in My Bathroom' Cutting Weight for UFC Fights

SACRAMENTO, CA - DECEMBER 17: Paige VanZant warms up backstage during the UFC Fight Night event inside the Golden 1 Center Arena on December 17, 2016 in Sacramento, California. (Photo by Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

Paige VanZant has always inhabited a somewhat strange place in the UFC.

Part company spokesmodel, part fringe strawweight contender, she walks a tightrope between in-cage legitimacy and out-of-the-cage marketability. While she has struggled with that first part as of late, she's still done a decent job of balancing the two.

Speaking with Ariel Helwani on Monday's installment of The MMA Hour, VanZant discussed why she is ditching her division to move up to the newly christened UFC women's flyweight division.

"It's a big cut for me. I'm a lot heavier than people realize," she said (via MMAFighting.com's Marc Raimondi). "I was honestly killing myself for this sport. In my last I want to say two fights or three fights, I've passed out in my bathroom. This last one, I passed out and had the doctors almost not cleared me for the fight."

VanZant lost her last fight to Michelle Waterson last year.
VanZant lost her last fight to Michelle Waterson last year.Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

These sorts of stories are common in mixed martial arts, where competitors go through extreme diets and massive dehydration to make weight. Many fights have been cancelled over recent years due to weight-cutting issues, from the dregs of the undercard to main event championship bouts. Despite the long-term health risks, the competitive rewards are huge, especially for grappling-focused fighters like VanZant.

Still, cutting weight becomes more difficult with time. For VanZant, who began competing at 115 pounds at the age of 18, it wasn't sustainable.

"I'm a big advocate for body positivity, and I was putting myself through an eating disorder to make weight," she said, via Raimondi. "And it became not fun for me anymore. I hate cutting. I hated the process. Obviously, passing out on your bathroom floor is not fun, because you're dying in a bathtub."

VanZant faces Jessica Eye in her flyweight debut next month.
VanZant faces Jessica Eye in her flyweight debut next month.David Dermer/Associated Press

VanZant is slated to make her flyweight debut at UFC 216 in October opposite Jessica Eye. While the inaugural UFC women's flyweight champion will be determined through the current season of The Ultimate Fighter, the newness of this division gives the fight major title implications.

If VanZant defeats Eye in impressive fashion, don't be shocked if she challenges for the title in early 2018.

Galleries

Paige VanZant Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC on FOX 27 discussion thread

UFC on FOX 27 takes place today in North Carolina, and you can discuss the event here. read news >>

'Jacare' Souza Earns $50,000 Bonus for First Round KO Against Derek Brunson | MMAWeekly.com

Here are the post fight bonuses for UFC on FOX 27 from Charlotte read news >>

Bektic, Price among Charlotte prelim highlights

Read on for UFC Fight Night Charlotte prelim results... read news >>

Gritty main card yields wins for Fili, Gillespie and Dober in Charlotte

Read on for UFC Charlotte main card results... read news >>

UFC strawweight Paige VanZant announces engagement to fighter Austin Vanderford

UFC strawweight Paige VanZant is off the market. She announced her engagement to fighter boyfriend Austin Vanderford. read news >>

After first UFC win, Ji Yeon Kim now hopes for fight closer to Korea

Ji Yeon Kim took her first trip to the U.S. for UFC on FOX 27, beating jet lag and time adjustments en route to a split-decision win over tough Justine Kish. read news >>

Derek Brunson: First 'Jacare' Souza fight was too soon, but I'm ready for UFC on FOX 27

As far as Derek Brunson is concerned, the timing was off the last time he fought Ronaldo Souza. read news >>

FS1 broadcast plans set for UFC Fight Night 125, with Fitzgerald and Felder on the call

Commentary and analysts plans are set for UFC Fight Night 125, which takes place Saturday in Belem, Para, Brazil. read news >>

Marlon Vera ready for UFC-Belem bout with Douglas de Andrade, the 'generic John Lineker'

Marlon Vera is fighting Douglas de Andrade on Saturday in Brazil, not John Lineker in a rematch. But he might as well be ... sort of. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125: Machida vs. Anders Full Results & Live Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC Fight Night 125: Machida vs. Anders full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 7 pm ET / 4 pm PT on Saturday. read news >>