#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Dustin Poirier #Anthony Pettis #Fabricio Werdum #Cody Garbrandt #Colby Covington

Alistair Overeem knew it was coming.

The hulking former Strikeforce heavyweight champion stopped Brock Lesnar Friday night at UFC 141, sending the onetime UFC king into retirement at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

During Friday’s post-fight press conference, “The ‘Reem” stated that he foresaw the exact way the fight would go down on the day prior to his showdown with Lesnar.

“The funny thing was I predicted the [fight’s finish] the evening before, to my fiancé,” Overeem explained. “I said, ‘First I’m gonna do this, then I’m gonna do that, and I’m gonna finish it with a liver kick.’ I don’t know if it’s luck or if it’s strategy, but it just turned out that way, and I’m happy that it did.”

Overeem appeared slightly tentative in the early going, and Lesnar was equally cautious. Rather that rushing the K-1 grand prix champion, Lesnar looked to establish his standup by throwing a pair of low kicks and pawing with a jab.

“[Lesnar] hasn’t fought in a long time, so I think he upgraded his game. That is what every fighter should do,” Overeem said. “He was getting predictable only going for the takedowns. I was ready for whatever he was gonna throw at me.”

Apparently unconcerned with Lesnar’s standup arsenal, Overeem continually walked forward, meeting Lesnar with punches and knees to the body, discouraging his massive foe from shooting in for a takedown. His foe reeling, Overeem landed a perfectly placed round kick to the liver, doubling the Minnesotan over and finishing the job with punches against the cage.

“After one of the first knees ... he didn’t come for the takedown, as [I knew] he would,” said Overeem. “After that, we would come in the clinch and he would disengage. Usually, Brock is a guy that comes straight forward, but he was not doing that. Then I knew that the knees bothered him.”

Leading up to the bout, Overeem was forced to split training time between Las Vegas and the Netherlands in order to be close to his mother, who is suffering from cancer. Distractions aside, Overeem credits his camp for aptly preparing him for such a tough test.

“I get my confidence from training. Training, despite the distractions, was going good,” said Overeem. “Guys couldn’t take me down, so I felt good and I felt confident even though Brock is a big, strong guy. I just felt that I was going to beat him up.”

With his conquest of Lesnar, Overeem earned a shot at Junior dos Santos and the UFC heavyweight championship in 2012.

“Junior dos Santos is a very different fighter [than Lesnar], so the game plan will be very different. But both are very aggressive, and I like to be aggressive. I just like to be dominant. I don’t like to be going backwards, waiting. Sometimes you have to, but I prefer to go in there and beat the opponent up.”

While an exact date for Overeem’s collision with dos Santos has not yet been set, “The Demolition Man” said that fighting for the UFC belt will be a career highlight.

“I’m very excited to be fighting for the title. It’s my goal and, at this point, the highest achievement for every martial artist in the world,” said Overeem. “My experience [with] the UFC is huge; I think it’s 100 times bigger than Strikeforce. K-1 is big, but [the UFC] is even a lot bigger than K-1. I was a little bit blown away with all the fans and when you walk in [the Octagon]. It’s crazy. I loved it, every second of it.”

Galleries

Alistair Overeem Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Francis Ngannou roasts Alistair Overeem for Instagram photo to hype UFC 218 fight

Alistair Overeem will not be playing with “a baby animal in the petting zoo” when he steps inside the cage with Francis Ngannou.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Andrei Arlovski staves off retirement, outworks Junior Albini

With five consecutive losses, Andrei Arlovski knew the importance of his bout with Junior Albini.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum not so sure Alistair Overeem-Francis Ngannou winner deserves UFC title shot

• a day ago

Fabricio Werdum makes his case for why he deserves the next shot at Stipe Miocic with a win at UFC-Sydney.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Episode No. 10 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'

• a day ago

MMAjunkie recaps Episode No. 10 of “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which crowns the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Colby Covington, Fabricio Werdum get into ugly altercation outside UFC-Sydney hotel

• a day ago

Colby Covington crossed paths with Fabricio Werdum, and the result was an expletive-filled altercation with at least one homophobic slur caught on video.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Colby Covington, Fabricio Werdum Involved in Heated Altercation in Australia | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum and top five ranked welterweight Colby Covington were involved in a physical altercation in Australia in the early morning local time on Thursday. Ther read news >>

Marcin Tybura Wants Title Shot With a Win Over Fabricio Werdum | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Marcin Tybura wants a title shot if he gets past Fabricio Werdum at UFC Fight Night 121 in Australia. read news >>

Belal Muhammad comfortable in UFC, ready to announce himself as true contender

• a day ago

Belal Muhammad wants you to start taking his nickname literally. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Fabricio Werdum tired of trash talk culture with Conor McGregor copycats

• a day ago

Former UFC champion Fabricio Werdum is getting tired of everyone trying to do bad Conor McGregor impressions when it comes to trash talk.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 121 Preview: 3 Can't-Miss Fights from Sydney Fight Card

• a day ago

If you come from a land down under, where fighting men throw thunder, you better get ready to be torn asunder. You better run. You better take cover. I spent three hours writing that. But it's the be read news >>