#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Frankie Edgar #Cub Swanson #Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 57 #Anthony Ferguson #UFC 223

Overeem Predicted Liver Kick Finish of Lesnar at UFC 141

Alistair Overeem knew it was coming.

The hulking former Strikeforce heavyweight champion stopped Brock Lesnar Friday night at UFC 141, sending the onetime UFC king into retirement at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

During Friday’s post-fight press conference, “The ‘Reem” stated that he foresaw the exact way the fight would go down on the day prior to his showdown with Lesnar.

“The funny thing was I predicted the [fight’s finish] the evening before, to my fiancé,” Overeem explained. “I said, ‘First I’m gonna do this, then I’m gonna do that, and I’m gonna finish it with a liver kick.’ I don’t know if it’s luck or if it’s strategy, but it just turned out that way, and I’m happy that it did.”

Overeem appeared slightly tentative in the early going, and Lesnar was equally cautious. Rather that rushing the K-1 grand prix champion, Lesnar looked to establish his standup by throwing a pair of low kicks and pawing with a jab.

“[Lesnar] hasn’t fought in a long time, so I think he upgraded his game. That is what every fighter should do,” Overeem said. “He was getting predictable only going for the takedowns. I was ready for whatever he was gonna throw at me.”

Apparently unconcerned with Lesnar’s standup arsenal, Overeem continually walked forward, meeting Lesnar with punches and knees to the body, discouraging his massive foe from shooting in for a takedown. His foe reeling, Overeem landed a perfectly placed round kick to the liver, doubling the Minnesotan over and finishing the job with punches against the cage.

“After one of the first knees ... he didn’t come for the takedown, as [I knew] he would,” said Overeem. “After that, we would come in the clinch and he would disengage. Usually, Brock is a guy that comes straight forward, but he was not doing that. Then I knew that the knees bothered him.”

Leading up to the bout, Overeem was forced to split training time between Las Vegas and the Netherlands in order to be close to his mother, who is suffering from cancer. Distractions aside, Overeem credits his camp for aptly preparing him for such a tough test.

“I get my confidence from training. Training, despite the distractions, was going good,” said Overeem. “Guys couldn’t take me down, so I felt good and I felt confident even though Brock is a big, strong guy. I just felt that I was going to beat him up.”

With his conquest of Lesnar, Overeem earned a shot at Junior dos Santos and the UFC heavyweight championship in 2012.

“Junior dos Santos is a very different fighter [than Lesnar], so the game plan will be very different. But both are very aggressive, and I like to be aggressive. I just like to be dominant. I don’t like to be going backwards, waiting. Sometimes you have to, but I prefer to go in there and beat the opponent up.”

While an exact date for Overeem’s collision with dos Santos has not yet been set, “The Demolition Man” said that fighting for the UFC belt will be a career highlight.

“I’m very excited to be fighting for the title. It’s my goal and, at this point, the highest achievement for every martial artist in the world,” said Overeem. “My experience [with] the UFC is huge; I think it’s 100 times bigger than Strikeforce. K-1 is big, but [the UFC] is even a lot bigger than K-1. I was a little bit blown away with all the fans and when you walk in [the Octagon]. It’s crazy. I loved it, every second of it.”

Galleries

Alistair Overeem Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Alex Oliveira: Carlos Condit went to sleep, woke back up before finish in UFC Glendale co-headliner

Alex Oliveira knew opponent Carlos Condit was struggling in the waning moments of their fight, but he had no intentions of letting go of a choke that left his opponent fighting off unconsciousness. read news >>

Rose Namajunas: Exclusive UFC 223 Extended Video Interview

Ahead of her UFC 223 rematch with Joanna Jedrzejczyk, UFC strawweight champion Rose Namajunas sat down for an extended, exclusive interview with Ken Pishna. read news >>

UFC Announces Return to Hamburg for July 22

The world famous UFC Octagon® will touch down in Hamburg, Germany for the second time on Sunday, July 22. read news >>

Here's video of Jon Jones showing off his assault rife skills

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has a way of pushing buttons – and pulling triggers apparently. read news >>

UFC 223's Brandon Moreno focused on Ray Borg but hopes for Sergio Pettis rematch

After bringing a tired, injured body into a losing battle with Sergio Pettis, Brandon Moreno feels like a “new guy” heading into a UFC 223 meeting with Ray Borg. read news >>

How Michael Chiesa thinks he factors into top of lightweight division before UFC 223

Michael Chiesa’s goal is to finish 2018 undefeated and as the No. 1 contender, and it starts with taking down Anthony Pettis. read news >>

Michael Chiesa Fires Back at Critics of Ronda Rousey After She Left the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Chiesa fully supports Ronda Rousey's decision to change career as she leaves the UFC and embarks on a new journey as part of World Wrestling Entertainment. In fact, Chiesa was ringside the ni read news >>

How Josh Barnett's USADA arbitration could be a game-changer for UFC fighters

Josh Barnett may have run afoul of USADA, but 15 months after his positive drug test, an arbitrator ruled that the “meticulous” heavyweight bore the minimum degree of fault. His defense provides a bl read news >>

Once tortured by pressure of weight and wins, Daniel Sarafian finally happy in post-UFC life

How teaching and moving up in weight helped once-miserable Daniel Sarafian find the fun in fighting again. read news >>

Before UFC 223, watch Khabib Nurmagomedov's first UFC knockout win

Khabib Nurmagomedov is undefeated in his six-year UFC tenure, and this was the fight that earned him his first knockout win in the promotion. read news >>

Ricky Simon says he signed UFC deal after LFA 36 main-event title defense

The UFC’s bantamweight roster appears to have a new addition: LFA champion Ricky Simon. read news >>

Amanda Nunes and Raquel Pennington Put Friendship Aside for UFC 224 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

UFC women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and her UFC 224 challenger Raquel Pennington are friends, but that isn't going to get in the way of their goals. read news >>

Jessica Aguilar vs. Jodie Esquibel slated for UFC Fight Night 131 in Utica

June’s UFC Fight Night 131 lineup has a new women’s strawweight bout: Jessica Aguilar vs. Jodie Esquibel. read news >>

Watch Tony Ferguson and Rafael Dos Anjos Go to War (UFC 223 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

On Nov. 5, 2016, former UFC lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos faced Tony Ferguson in the main event of The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale in Mexico City. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Explains Floyd Mayweather's Route to UFC Success | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley recently spoke at length about how he could prepare Floyd Mayweather for a successful trip to the UFC Octagon. read news >>

With 'championship language' in new UFC contract, Dustin Poirier ready for title run

Dustin Poirier has a new UFC contract in hand, and it’s the most important one of his career so far. read news >>

Upcoming Fights