#UFC 220 #Francis Ngannou #Stipe Miocic #Daniel Cormier #Volkan Oezdemir #Bellator MMA #Rory MacDonald #Chael Sonnen #Quinton Jackson #Douglas Lima #Rob Font #Thomas Almeida #Calvin Kattar #Shane Burgos #Holloway vs. Edgar

Mueller believes she can be champ

As soon as Lauren Mueller’s Aug. 29 fight with Kelly McGill-Velasco was over, she knew she had it.

“I definitely knew I had it, for sure,” she said. “I was confident in getting my hand raised.”

We meant the UFC contract that she ultimately received on the eighth episode of Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series.

“Oh,” she laughs. “The contract.”

That took a little longer.

A pro since 2015, the 25-year-old from San Diego started training just four years ago, but it wasn’t a case of two days a week in the gym. It was more like two-a-days six days a week.

From the moment I stepped in the gym, I already had my mind set that this is what I was going to do,” she said. “I said, ‘I’m going to make a career out of this.’ I was training three hours in the morning and three at night every day except Sunday, and I’m still doing that, but I doubled that time.”

And once she entered the pro ranks, the Alliance MMA team member looked like a natural, as she ran up a 3-0 record. Yet beyond the skill set Mueller has, she’s also got a nice dose of mean, which was evident in the win over McGill-Velasco.

“I think that it’s something that’s just in you and that you’re born with,” she said matter-of-factly.

Her early success prompted her to try out for season 26 of The Ultimate Fighter, which would prompt a move from 135 to 125 pounds, but also provide the opportunity to compete in a tournament to crown the UFC’s first female flyweight champion.

Mueller got close, being chosen as an alternate for the show, but as she waited for the final call that the cast was set, she got another phone call.

“My ultimate goal was to get into the UFC, of course, and I kept training and training,” she said. “They didn’t end up needing me for TUF and I kind of had the Contender Series in the back of my head. It was just a thought I had and they called me about a last-minute fight. They said, ‘It’s up a weight class, would you be willing to take it?’”

She was, and soon she was in Las Vegas to face McGill-Velasco. Three rounds later, she had a unanimous decision victory. And about that UFC contract?

“Everything happened so fast,” she said. “I wasn’t thinking that I was gonna get it. I was just thinking there’s a fight in front of me right now, I need to take this fight, I need to show what I’m made of, (UFC President) Dana White’s gonna be there, this is a huge opportunity. So everything happened kind of super fast. I was so in the moment to show what I was made of, and when he called my name, I was in shock.”

Now Lauren Mueller is a member of the UFC roster. As for the weight class she’ll compete in…

“Flyweight,” she said. “For my size, that’s the weight class for me. Would I take fights at ’35? Absolutely. But when it comes to where I think I fit really well, flyweight is where I need to be, and I absolutely believe I’m ready for anybody in that division.”

Get ready for the “Princess Tiger.”

“I feel like I’m so blessed that I found MMA and realized this is my calling,” she said. “I feel like I’m not just gonna be good at this; I truly believe that I’m going to be great and going to be a champion.”

Watch Past Fights

Comments

Makenzie Dern: 'I Think I'm Ready to Go to the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

Unbeaten submission ace Makenzie Dern believes that she's ready to take the next step in her career and move from Invicat FC to the UFC. read news >>

Being a fighter is what Condit is here for

“I’m excited to come back and fight again. This is what I love to do, honestly.” Carlos Condit fights for the first time since 2016 when he takes on Neil Magny this Saturday at UFC 219 on Pay-Per-Vie read news >>

Dana White: If Holly Holm Beats Cris Cyborg 'She's the Greatest Female Fighter of All Time' | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White believes Holly Holm has reached greatest of all time status with a win over Cris Cyborg read news >>

No matter the opponent, Khabib's style remains the same

“This is not about ‘Now I have this opponent and now I have to break him.’ This is my style. It doesn’t matter who my opponent is – Edson Barboza, Tony Ferguson; it doesn’t matter. I’m going to keep read news >>

Yoel Romero Meets David Branch at UFC on FOX 28 in Orlando | MMAWeekly.com

Yoel Romero has finally found a willing opponent as David Branch will step into face the former middleweight title contender at UFC on FOX 28 from Orlando on Feb. 24. UFC officials confirmed the matc read news >>

Miocic unfazed by underdog snub; Ngannou believes champ intimidated

The heavyweight title is on the line in Boston when Stipe Miocic and Francis Ngannou meet in the main event of UFC 220. The two exchanged words at the official pre-fight press conference in Las Vegas read news >>

Carla Esparza Feels She Should be Part of the UFC Championship Conversation | MMAWeekly.com

Carla Esparza believes that she proved at UFC 219 why she should still be a part of the UFC strawweight title picture. read news >>

UFC Exec Believes Nick Diaz Wants to Fight, but He Remains Under USADA Suspension | MMAWeekly.com

Nick Diaz is well clear of any substance-related UFC Anti-Doping Policy violations, but remains under a USADA issued suspension. read news >>

Injury-free Bellator champ Douglas Lima wants to prove place at top, knock out Rory MacDonald

If Rory MacDonald truly believes he’s “one step ahead of the division,” Douglas Lima is ready to make him rethink that at Bellator 192.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Ex-NFL player: How Conor McGregor can flex collective bargaining power

Ex-Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk believes Conor McGregor is the only man who could really demonstrate the power of collective bargaining for UFC fighters. Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>