#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Justin Gaethje #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Alexander Gustafsson #Daniel Cormier #Nate Diaz #UFC New York #Israel Adesanya #Stipe Miocic #UFC 217 #Edson Barboza

Mueller believes she can be champ

As soon as Lauren Mueller’s Aug. 29 fight with Kelly McGill-Velasco was over, she knew she had it.

“I definitely knew I had it, for sure,” she said. “I was confident in getting my hand raised.”

We meant the UFC contract that she ultimately received on the eighth episode of Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series.

“Oh,” she laughs. “The contract.”

That took a little longer.

A pro since 2015, the 25-year-old from San Diego started training just four years ago, but it wasn’t a case of two days a week in the gym. It was more like two-a-days six days a week.

From the moment I stepped in the gym, I already had my mind set that this is what I was going to do,” she said. “I said, ‘I’m going to make a career out of this.’ I was training three hours in the morning and three at night every day except Sunday, and I’m still doing that, but I doubled that time.”

And once she entered the pro ranks, the Alliance MMA team member looked like a natural, as she ran up a 3-0 record. Yet beyond the skill set Mueller has, she’s also got a nice dose of mean, which was evident in the win over McGill-Velasco.

“I think that it’s something that’s just in you and that you’re born with,” she said matter-of-factly.

Her early success prompted her to try out for season 26 of The Ultimate Fighter, which would prompt a move from 135 to 125 pounds, but also provide the opportunity to compete in a tournament to crown the UFC’s first female flyweight champion.

Mueller got close, being chosen as an alternate for the show, but as she waited for the final call that the cast was set, she got another phone call.

“My ultimate goal was to get into the UFC, of course, and I kept training and training,” she said. “They didn’t end up needing me for TUF and I kind of had the Contender Series in the back of my head. It was just a thought I had and they called me about a last-minute fight. They said, ‘It’s up a weight class, would you be willing to take it?’”

She was, and soon she was in Las Vegas to face McGill-Velasco. Three rounds later, she had a unanimous decision victory. And about that UFC contract?

“Everything happened so fast,” she said. “I wasn’t thinking that I was gonna get it. I was just thinking there’s a fight in front of me right now, I need to take this fight, I need to show what I’m made of, (UFC President) Dana White’s gonna be there, this is a huge opportunity. So everything happened kind of super fast. I was so in the moment to show what I was made of, and when he called my name, I was in shock.”

Now Lauren Mueller is a member of the UFC roster. As for the weight class she’ll compete in…

“Flyweight,” she said. “For my size, that’s the weight class for me. Would I take fights at ’35? Absolutely. But when it comes to where I think I fit really well, flyweight is where I need to be, and I absolutely believe I’m ready for anybody in that division.”

Get ready for the “Princess Tiger.”

“I feel like I’m so blessed that I found MMA and realized this is my calling,” she said. “I feel like I’m not just gonna be good at this; I truly believe that I’m going to be great and going to be a champion.”

Watch Past Fights

Comments

Marlon Moraes: I don't care about division; I just care about Jimmie Rivera

Marlon Moraes believes he’s in his prime and his UFC Fight Night 131 meeting with Jimmie Rivera will be his best performance yet. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk's Coach Still Believes First Loss Was Primarily Due to Bad Weight Cut | MMAWeekly.com

? (Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) MMAWeekly's exclusive interview with Joanna Jedrzejczyk's trainer Mike Brown to talk about her preparation for her rematch with Rose Namajunas at UFC 223 and read news >>

Dana White on Conor McGregor: 'This is Criminal,' It's Way Bigger than Firing Him (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Damage control? No, UFC president Dana White had to immediately move well beyond damage control following Conor McGregor's thuggish actions following Thursday's UFC 223 Media Day. read news >>

Ed Ruth Believes 'Conditioning Will Play A Big Part at Bellator 196 Against Ion Pascu | MMAWeekly.com

Ed Ruth (4-0) will look to further showcase his development in his first fight of 2018 at Bellator 196 in Budapest, Hungary, against veteran Ion Pascu (17-7). read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov: Max Holloway has chance at UFC 223 for one round

UFC 223 headliner Khabib Nurmagomedov believes featherweight champ Max Holloway has one competitive round in him. read news >>

Khabib trumpets 'different mentality' than Holloway

Khabib believes that Holloway has never faced anyone like him in the past and won’t be able to rely on the same high volume output and break-neck pace that has become his trademark, claiming Max is " read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Believes Conor McGregor is Inevitable, but Wants to Fight Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov realizes Conor McGregor is more likely to be in his near future, but he would rather fight Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

'This is History' (UFC 223 Embedded) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) On Episode 2 of UFC 223 Embedded, former strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk learns of the change to the main event on her way to New York and weighs whether it's all an elabora read news >>

Max Holloway upon learning he'll replace Tony Ferguson: 'This is how legends are made'

Here’s what Max Holloway said when his manager said Tony Ferguson was out of his UFC 223 headliner against Khabib Nurmagomedov. read news >>

Dana White Believes Floyd Mayweather to the UFC is a Very Real Possibility | MMAWeekly.com

If all parties involved are to be believed, Floyd Mayweather's mixed martial arts debut may just be willed into reality. Mayweather has said that he is serious about taking a fight in the UFC. Most p read news >>

Dana White Believes Canelo vs. GGG 2 Will Happen Despite Drug Test Failure | MMAWeekly.com

Even though the boxing rematch between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin was put at extreme risk of happening once the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) filed a formal complaint against Alvar read news >>

Evan Dunham: 'We'll See Conor McGregor Back This Year' | MMAWeekly.com

No. 14 ranked lightweight Evan Dunham believes champion Conor McGregor will be back in the octagon this year. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Believes Floyd Mayweather Will Be Able to Handle Anyone in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley laid out a timeline to begin training Floyd Mayweather for his MMA debut, adding that he thinks the boxer will be able to handle anyone in the UFC. read news >>

Christian Aguilera Believes His Striking 'Will Pay Dividends' at LFA 36 | MMAWeekly.com

Christian Aguilera (10-4) will look for his third win in three months when he takes on Ricardo Seixas (4-0) in an LFA 36 main card 170-pound bout. read news >>

UFC's Joe Rogan wants to see 'win money' phased out of MMA payment structure

Joe Rogan believes dividing fighter payment in MMA into “show” money and “win” money is a dated idea which should be removed from the sport. read news >>

Felice Herrig Believes a Win over Karolina Kowalkiewicz Should Earn Her a Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Felice Herrig hopes to extend her division best win streak at UFC 223 while also hoping that a win over Karolina Kowalkiewicz will finally put her in line to fight for a title read news >>

Search for: