#Duane Ludwig #Ramsey Nijem #Julian Lane #Justin Buchholz #Conor McGregor #UFC 211 #Nate Diaz #Hayder Hassan #Dhiego Lima #Diaz vs. McGregor 2 #Bellator 179 #Rory MacDonald #TJ Dillashaw #Jon Jones #Jewels

Junior Assuncao has won six consecutive fights. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Armed with a six-fight winning streak and the invaluable experience that comes with having dealt with adversity, Junior Assuncao wants a second crack at UFC glory.

The 30-year-old lost two of his three fights in the Octagon between October 2006 and September 2007 and readily admits he was ill-prepared for the challenges he faced at the time. A first-round submission defeat to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 11 cost him his spot on the UFC roster, but Assuncao, not easily dissuaded, has gone 7-1 since.

“When I first fought in the UFC, I was 4-1 with [only] one amateur fight,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I think I’ve improved a lot. I had a full-time job then, so I think my first stint in the UFC was a little premature. I didn’t really know how to fight. Nowadays, I’m a full-time fighter, so that’s all I do.”

Since leaving the UFC, Assuncao has captured the vacant Xtreme Fighting Championships lightweight crown and competed for six different promotions. He last fought in March, when he submitted Cage Rage veteran Wesley Murch with a rear-naked choke in just 92 seconds at Recife Fighting Championship 4 in his native Brazil. Assuncao believes he has what it takes to succeed in the UFC.

“The UFC is a great organization with tons of good fighters,” he said. “I can guarantee I’ll contribute to great fights for the fans. There are other great organizations out there, but I have unfinished business with the UFC. When I left the UFC, I was 30 percent of the fighter I am now. It has been almost four years, so I have also matured a lot.”

Assuncao (12-4), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and skilled capoeira practitioner, recently relocated to the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., where he trains under Adam Singer and his brother, UFC veteran Rory Singer.

“I have known these guys for a long time,” Assuncao said. “We belong to the same jiu-jitsu bloodline -- Roberto Traven -- so it was an easy transition. I’ve been there for about seven months now.”

Assuncao has finished his last three foes inside one round as part of his career-best six-fight winning streak. His list of victims includes International Fight League veteran and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 alum Mark Miller, whom he knocked out under the Recife Fighting Championship banner in December. Assuncao has tried to cover all his bases and even turned over his students to younger brother Freddy Assuncao, in order to dedicate himself fully to training. His other brother, 29-year-old Raphael Assuncao, currently competes in the UFC’s featherweight division.

“All of my energy is focused on training and staying in shape, so I can take a fight on short-notice if I have to,” he said. “I have been training full-time when I’m not supporting my brothers with their fights. I think I finally feel comfortable in the cage.”

Demian Maia Split Decisions Jorge Masvidal, Earns Title Shot (UFC 211 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia extended his winning streak to seven consecutive fights on Saturday by defeating Jorge Masvidal by split decision at UFC 211 in Dallas, Texas. read news >>

Glover Teixeira's KO of the Night Win Over Ryan Bader (UFC Stockholm Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Glover Teixeira started his UFC career winning his first five bouts including this Knockout of the Night victory over Ryan Bader in 2013. read news >>

Video: Before UFC 212, watch Max Holloway's bonus-winning submission of Cub Swanson

Max Holloway is on one of the best tears in the sport right now, and in less than two weeks he has the biggest fight of his life.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Stipe Miocic, Joanna Jedrzejczyk and UFC 211's other winning fighters?

After every event, fans wonder whom the winners will be matched up with next. And with another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it's time to look forward, put on a pair of Sean Shelby and read news >>

Frankie Edgar Wants to Stay Winning at UFC 211 | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar wants to continue his winning ways when he takes on Yair Rodríguez on the UFC 211 main card on Saturday. TRENDING > Injury Forces Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pet read news >>

UFC heavyweight Todd Duffee seeks November comeback after more than 2-year layoff

Todd Duffee hasn’t been seen in a UFC fight since a first-round knockout loss to Frank Mir in the UFC Fight Night 71 headliner nearly two years ago. He hopes for that to change in the coming months, read news >>

Watch Junior dos Santos Flatten Gabriel Gonzaga (UFC 211 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Junior Dos Santos face Gabriel Gonzaga during his 9-fight win streak to start his UFC career. Dos Santos faces Stipe Miocic in the main event at UFC 211. read news >>

UFC 211 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 211 pay-per-view event in Dallas, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check them out.Fil read news >>

Daniel Gallemore Confident in His Abilities Against Daniel James at Victory FC 57 | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Gallemore (6-3) will seek to keep his winning streak going when he takes on Daniel James (6-2-1) in the Victory FC 57 main event on Friday. read news >>

'Everything is possible' to Francis Ngannou, maybe even a UFC title shot this year

LAS VEGAS – UFC heavyweight contender Francis Ngannou doesn’t have a fight lined up. First thing’s first – he needs to get acclimated.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>