#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #Saturday Night Fights #David Branch #Nate Diaz #GGG #DWTNCS #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

Junior Assuncao has won six consecutive fights. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Armed with a six-fight winning streak and the invaluable experience that comes with having dealt with adversity, Junior Assuncao wants a second crack at UFC glory.

The 30-year-old lost two of his three fights in the Octagon between October 2006 and September 2007 and readily admits he was ill-prepared for the challenges he faced at the time. A first-round submission defeat to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 11 cost him his spot on the UFC roster, but Assuncao, not easily dissuaded, has gone 7-1 since.

“When I first fought in the UFC, I was 4-1 with [only] one amateur fight,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I think I’ve improved a lot. I had a full-time job then, so I think my first stint in the UFC was a little premature. I didn’t really know how to fight. Nowadays, I’m a full-time fighter, so that’s all I do.”

Since leaving the UFC, Assuncao has captured the vacant Xtreme Fighting Championships lightweight crown and competed for six different promotions. He last fought in March, when he submitted Cage Rage veteran Wesley Murch with a rear-naked choke in just 92 seconds at Recife Fighting Championship 4 in his native Brazil. Assuncao believes he has what it takes to succeed in the UFC.

“The UFC is a great organization with tons of good fighters,” he said. “I can guarantee I’ll contribute to great fights for the fans. There are other great organizations out there, but I have unfinished business with the UFC. When I left the UFC, I was 30 percent of the fighter I am now. It has been almost four years, so I have also matured a lot.”

Assuncao (12-4), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and skilled capoeira practitioner, recently relocated to the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., where he trains under Adam Singer and his brother, UFC veteran Rory Singer.

“I have known these guys for a long time,” Assuncao said. “We belong to the same jiu-jitsu bloodline -- Roberto Traven -- so it was an easy transition. I’ve been there for about seven months now.”

Assuncao has finished his last three foes inside one round as part of his career-best six-fight winning streak. His list of victims includes International Fight League veteran and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 alum Mark Miller, whom he knocked out under the Recife Fighting Championship banner in December. Assuncao has tried to cover all his bases and even turned over his students to younger brother Freddy Assuncao, in order to dedicate himself fully to training. His other brother, 29-year-old Raphael Assuncao, currently competes in the UFC’s featherweight division.

“All of my energy is focused on training and staying in shape, so I can take a fight on short-notice if I have to,” he said. “I have been training full-time when I’m not supporting my brothers with their fights. I think I finally feel comfortable in the cage.”

Comments

Pedro Munhoz vs. Rob Font added to UFC Fight Night 119 in Brazil

Pedro Munhoz will look to extend his winning streak in a hometown fight in Sao Paulo against Rob Font.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tony Martin Looking to Crack the Lightweight Rankings at UFC Pittsburgh | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Martin puts his winning streak on the line against Olivier Aubin-Mercier in a 155-pound bout at UFC Fight Night 116 on Saturday. read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Alexander Volkov and UFC-Rotterdam's other winning fighters?

MMAjunkie’s Mike Bohn plays matchmaker for the UFC Fight Night 115 main card winners from Rotterdam, Netherlands.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Luke Rockhold and UFC Fight Night 116's other winning fighters?

Take a look at what’s next for the winning fighters of Saturday’s thoroughly entertaining UFC Fight Night 116 event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Check out the reactions of the winning and losing fighters, as well as their teammates, on social media after UFC 215.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115 post-event facts: A late finish, a KO streak, a rare sub and more

The facts, figures and footnotes from UFC Fight Night 115, which saw Alexander Volkov beat Stefan Struve in the main event. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Nunes Seeks 2nd Title Defense vs. Shevchenko in UFC 215 Main Event

Two months after title fight was cancelled the morning of the fight, Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko are finally ready for their rematch with the women's bantamweight championship on the line i read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko will ask UFC for third fight with Amanda Nunes

UFC women’s bantamweight title challenger Valentina Shevchenko seeks a third fight with champ Amanda Nunes after a split decision loss at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Check out the social media reactions from the winners and losers at UFC-Pittsburgh from this past Saturday, including ER visits.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Why Michel Prazeres isn't mad about UFC champ Conor McGregor's absence

Looking to add a fifth win to his current winning streak on Saturday, lightweight Michel Prazeres has his sights on a rematch with contender Kevin Lee.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>