#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Ovince St. Preux #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Roy Nelson #Javy Ayala #Benson Henderson

Mike Guymon at UFC 121Following his release from the UFC in early 2011, former King of the Cage welterweight champion Mike “Joker” Guymon decided it was time to step away from the sport. A year later, he felt amiss in his decision to retire, and decided to return to MMA.

As Guymon explains, “I didn’t want to go out the way I did. I feel like I cheated everyone: the UFC, my friends, my fans, my training partners and myself. (By the time I had reached) UFC Fight Night for the Troops, it was like a shadow of me; it wasn’t me at all.”

After troubles maintaining a healthy medicinal balance for his battle with depression, Guymon was able to right himself. And with his mental wellbeing in check, it was time to make a comeback.

“I took a fight with BAMMA (in March), coming back at 155 pounds and fought Cris Leyva and I felt great,” Guymon told MMAWeekly.com. “I had that fire back in me. Just everything that was missing before, I had that back.”

Then this past Friday, Guymon’s triumphant return continued, as he took a unanimous decision over Xtreme Couture prospect Mike Dizak at BAMMA’s latest installment in Commerce, Calif.

“This was probably the toughest out of all my fights because I did it with a fractured shoulder,” said Guymon. “So to fight someone like Dizak and come out on top with the adversity I went through is something I’m still, like, tripping on.

“It’s not the way of winning a fight that I’d like, but it got the job done and to get the ‘W’ under conditions like that, I’m pretty ecstatic. I used every little bit for this fight – even cutting weight, all the veteran things, the little things – the small things are what got me through this fight.”

Sporting back-to-back wins for the first time three years, Guymon is eager to step back into the cage and work his way back to the UFC to rectify his earlier misstep.

“I think there’s a couple of things that need to be done on my shoulder, but I want to get back in there,” he said. “I want to work my back into the UFC and show people what I can do.

“I’d love to do it this year, but I think it’d be unrealistic to think I could pull off a huge string of victories quick by the end of this year with the way my physicality is now. I’m thinking that at the very first part of next year, I’d love to have that position where I’m back in the UFC and I’m fighting at 155 pounds.”

As Guymon points out, the clock isn’t necessarily in his corner, so if he’s going to make one last run, it’s going to have to materialize in the near future.

“I don’t have many big windows of opportunity,” he said. “If I’m going to do this, it’s going to be now or never. It’s basically that simple.

“I’m 37 years old, and this sport every day is getting younger, stronger, better, badder, faster, everything. There’s so much that comes into play that if I’m going to do that, I can’t wait because Father Time is coming quick.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Bisping vs. St-Pierre and Garbrandt vs. Dillashaw Official for UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre is now official, taking the UFC 217 headlining slot. read news >>

Fans outraged as Mayweather-McGregor demand causes PPV providers, UFC Fight Pass to crash

Things got off to a rocky start for many people wanting to watch “The Money Fight.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Says He Will Return to UFC After TKO Loss to Floyd Mayweather

UFC fans rejoice: Conor McGregor is apparently coming back to your sport. Floyd Mayweather Jr. handed McGregor a defeat via technical knockout Saturday in Las Vegas in the latter's first professional read news >>

Dana White Says He Is 'So Proud Of' Conor McGregor After Floyd Mayweather Fight

Dana White, president of the UFC, told reporters he's "so proud" of Conor McGregor after the 29-year-old Irish star of the Octagon lasted 10 rounds against Floyd Mayweather Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena read news >>

Dana White: 'Not the Fight I was Expecting' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White felt like the fight that Conor McGregor fought against Floyd Mayweather was something different than he expected. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Beats Conor McGregor by TKO (Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) Check out some of the best action from the megafight between UFC champion Conor McGregor and unbeaten boxing legend Floyd Mayweather. TRENDING > Conor McGregor Only Won 1 Round Agai read news >>

Dana White proud of Conor McGregor after Floyd Mayweather fight, but wants him back in UFC

“I’m ready to get back to the UFC and do what I do,” said Dana White, who prefers to bring back Conor McGregor with him.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After loss to Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor says he's free agent, open to boxing and MMA

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor held off on committing to a return to the octagon, declaring “I have many options.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Says He Is 'So Proud Of' Conor McGregor After Floyd Mayweather Fight