#Brock Lesnar #Francis Ngannou #UFC 223 #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Paige VanZant #Demetrious Johnson #Conor McGregor #ONE FC #Alain Ngalani #Hideki Sekine #Darren Till #Fight Night London #TJ Dillashaw #Miesha Tate

Michael Bisping Admits Ego Got the Better of Him, but Will He Walk Away? | MMAWeekly.com

Sometimes, promoters and regulations are in place to protect fighters from themselves. Sometimes, that fails to happen.

A recent example of the system’s failure is Michael Bisping being allowed to fight Kelvin Gastelum in China just three weeks after being finished inside of three rounds by Georges St-Pierre in New York.

Yes, Bisping made the choice to fight. Yes, he cleared medical requirements. And yes, the New York State Athletic Commission approved releasing him early from his 30-day medical suspension.

Gastelum knocked Bisping out 2:30 into their fight.

While Bisping blames no one else for the loss or for allowing him to fight, he now admits that his ego got the better of him.

Michael Bisping UFC 217 post“I felt great going into that fight, I did. Looking back in hindsight, was I overtrained and emotionally and physically tired? Yes, I was, but the problem with having a (expletive) huge ego and thinking you can still beat people is that I knew that, but I still thought I could beat Kelvin Gastelum,” Bisping said on his “Believe You Me” podcast.

“That fight was me trying to exorcise some inner demons and try and get back in the win column ASAP. As I said, it was a huge gamble and for many reasons it was the wrong move, but I don’t regret it. If you look at the grand scheme of things . . . I can see that it was the wrong move, but at the time it felt right, so I don’t regret it.

“I’m not trying to be the champion again. I had that, that was fun. It was a nice time in my life. I can always claim to have had that title, and now it’s time to move on with my life.”

While Bisping has closed the curtain most of the way on his career, he doesn’t want to walk away off the first back-to-back losses of his career.

“I’m 38 years old. I’ve got a wife and kids. I’ve got other things I want to focus on in life. Will I do one more fight? Yeah, probably.”

A return to the Octagon in London in March has been talked about, though it’s not yet clear if that is going to come to fruition. It normally wouldn’t be that quick of a turn around, but after Bisping having fought twice in three weeks, he might need a little more time.

But it doesn’t sound as if he’ll give up on his one last fight and walk away after having lost to Gastelum.

“I’ve had a great career. I’ve had many records. I’m happy with what I achieved. But like I said, I’ll probably do one more fight.”

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Cris Cyborg Reveals She Initially Shot Down UFC 222 Over Weight Concerns | MMAWeekly.com

? (Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) When Cris Cyborg was initially asked about fighting at UFC 222 she shot the idea down cold. Coming off of her win over Holly Holm on Dec. 30 to close out 201 read news >>

Luke Rockhold, Michael Bisping Get Into Another Expletive Filled War of Words | MMAWeekly.com

Longtime rivals Luke Rockhold and Michael Bisping were firing shots at each other once again on Tuesday night with the two former middleweight champions exchanging several expletive filled messages o read news >>

Luke Rockhold: 'I Could Beat Michael Bisping's Ass If I Modeled 365 Days a Year' | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold fires a shot at Michael Bisping in an ongoing war of words as the two rivals continue to hint at a third fight against each other. read news >>

Michael Bisping Reveals Serious Injury He Suffered Days Prior to Facing GSP | MMAWeekly.com

• 2 hours ago

No fighter steps into the cage 100-percent healthy but it turns out Michael Bisping probably should have bowed out of his title fight against Georges St-Pierre last November after suffering an injury read news >>

Josh Barnett Free to Fight After Receiving Reprimand from USADA Following Arbitration | MMAWeekly.com

• an hour ago

Josh Barnett is free and clear to return to action in the UFC. The former heavyweight champion has been sidelined since Dec. 9, 2016 when USADA officials announced that an out of competition drug tes read news >>

Daily Debate: Which Bellator signing will UFC regret most? Larkin, MacDonald, Mitrione or Mousasi?

We asked our readers and MMAjunkie Radio listeners which Bellator signing the UFC would most regret: Larkin, MacDonald, Mitrione or Mousasi? read news >>

Michael Bisping again teases trilogy fight with fellow ex-UFC champ Luke Rockhold

Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold keep dancing around the possibility of a trilogy fight. Is it going to happen? read news >>

Reece Mclaren Scores Second Round Submission Win at ONE: Visions of Victory | MMAWeekly.com

Reece Mclaren looks set for a second ONE Championship title shot after choking out Gianni Subba in Kuala Lumpur on Friday night (local time). The contest at the Axiata Arena was very even until the A read news >>

Tyron Woodley Says He is Training Floyd Mayweather for Possible UFC Debut | MMAWeekly.com

Despite most writing off Floyd Mayweather's MMA interest as a tease, UFC champ Tyron Woodley said that he is preparing to train Mayweather in mixed martial arts. read news >>

Jared Vanderaa Plans to Get First of at Least Four Wins in 2018 at LFA 35 | MMAWeekly.com

Following a disappointing 2017, Jared Vanderaa is aiming to get a quick win at LFA 35 to kickstart at least four wins in 2018. read news >>

Rampage Jackson Thanks Manager, Surprises Him with Expensive Car (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

What better way to say thank you for your new contract than to drop an expensive new car on your manager? read news >>

Mairbek Taisumov Out of UFC 223 Fight Against Evan Dunham | MMAWeekly.com

Mairbek Taisumov will have to wait for another card to make his return to action as the Russian lightweight has been pulled from his upcoming matchup against Evan Dunham at UFC 223. Taisumov has stru read news >>

Nick Newell Wants His Shot in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

It has been more than two years since one-handed fighter Nick Newell set foot in the cage to compete, but now he's back with renewed vigor, ready to show the world that he belongs in the UFC, the big read news >>

UFC Connected: The UK MMA Scene Featuring Darren Till | MMAWeekly.com

With the Octagon returning to London in March 2018 UK MMA is in the spotlight once again. In this episode the focus is on the sports history in England. read news >>

LFA 35 Results & Highlights: Nick Newell Returns with a Vengeance | MMAWeekly.com

After two years off from mixed martial arts, Nick Newell (14-1) didn't waste any time submitting Sonny Luque (10-7) at LFA 35 on Friday night. read news >>

Conor McGregor Gets Into War of Words with Rapper 50 Cent | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor still doesn't know his exact timeline to return to the UFC but in the meanwhile he's happy to engage in a war of words with rapper 50 Cent. The origins of this conflict goes back to Mc read news >>

Search for: