#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #Stipe Miocic #Max Holloway #GSP

Sometimes, promoters and regulations are in place to protect fighters from themselves. Sometimes, that fails to happen.

A recent example of the system’s failure is Michael Bisping being allowed to fight Kelvin Gastelum in China just three weeks after being finished inside of three rounds by Georges St-Pierre in New York.

Yes, Bisping made the choice to fight. Yes, he cleared medical requirements. And yes, the New York State Athletic Commission approved releasing him early from his 30-day medical suspension.

Gastelum knocked Bisping out 2:30 into their fight.

While Bisping blames no one else for the loss or for allowing him to fight, he now admits that his ego got the better of him.

Michael Bisping UFC 217 post“I felt great going into that fight, I did. Looking back in hindsight, was I overtrained and emotionally and physically tired? Yes, I was, but the problem with having a (expletive) huge ego and thinking you can still beat people is that I knew that, but I still thought I could beat Kelvin Gastelum,” Bisping said on his “Believe You Me” podcast.

“That fight was me trying to exorcise some inner demons and try and get back in the win column ASAP. As I said, it was a huge gamble and for many reasons it was the wrong move, but I don’t regret it. If you look at the grand scheme of things . . . I can see that it was the wrong move, but at the time it felt right, so I don’t regret it.

“I’m not trying to be the champion again. I had that, that was fun. It was a nice time in my life. I can always claim to have had that title, and now it’s time to move on with my life.”

While Bisping has closed the curtain most of the way on his career, he doesn’t want to walk away off the first back-to-back losses of his career.

“I’m 38 years old. I’ve got a wife and kids. I’ve got other things I want to focus on in life. Will I do one more fight? Yeah, probably.”

A return to the Octagon in London in March has been talked about, though it’s not yet clear if that is going to come to fruition. It normally wouldn’t be that quick of a turn around, but after Bisping having fought twice in three weeks, he might need a little more time.

But it doesn’t sound as if he’ll give up on his one last fight and walk away after having lost to Gastelum.

“I’ve had a great career. I’ve had many records. I’m happy with what I achieved. But like I said, I’ll probably do one more fight.”

Galleries

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Relive Michael Bisping's TKO Win Over Cung Le (UFC Shanghai Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Take a look back at Michael Bisping's TKO win over Cung Le. Bisping steps in on short notice to face Kelvin Gastelum in the main event of Fight Night Shanghai. read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum Sees Himself 'Demolishing' Michael Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

Hear from Kelvin Gastelum before he takes on former middleweight champion Michael Bisping this Saturday at Fight Night Shanghai. read news >>

Michael Bisping: 'I'm Fighting Myself in this Fight' | MMAWeekly.com

Less than three weeks removed from a disappointing title fight at UFC 217, Michael Bisping is grateful for the opportunity to get back in the Octagon. read news >>

Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum Hit the Mark, While One UFC Shanghai Fighter Misses Weight | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC Shanghai main event between Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum got the green light at Thursday's weigh-in, but it wasn't without hesitation. read news >>

Breaking Down Michael Bisping's Quest for Redemption at UFC Shanghai | MMAWeekly.com

Dan Hardy dissects the UFC Fight Night Shanghai main event between No. 2 ranked Michael Bisping and No. 9 ranked Kelvin Gastelum. read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum and Michael Bisping UFC Shanghai Octagon Interviews | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Kelvin Gastelum and Michael Bisping in the Octagon after their UFC Fight Night 122 main event fight in Shanghai, China. read news >>

Joe Rogan Criticizes Michael Bisping Being Allowed to Fight Three Weeks After Loss to GSP | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping is not the kind of guy to live with regret. The former UFC middleweight champion suffered a brutal first round knockout to Kelvin Gastelum this past weekend in China, just three weeks read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum Flattens Michael Bisping with Vicious First Round Knockout | MMAWeekly.com

Kelvin Gastelum needed less than three minutes to lay waste to former middleweight champion Michael Bisping in the main event from UFC Fight Night in Shanghai, China on Saturday. Gastelum was facing read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum Earns $50,000 Bonus for His Knockout Against Michael Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

Kelvin Gastelum is going home to the United States with a first round knockout against former middleweight champion Michael Bisping as well as a $50,000 bonus for 'Performance of the Night'. Gastelum read news >>

Fighters React to Kelvin Gastelum's KO of Michael Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champion Michael Bisping stepped up on short notice to replace Anderson Silva against Kelvin Gastelum in the UFC Shanghai main event. read news >>