#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Nate Diaz #GGG #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #Jon Jones

The last time Ivan Menjivar (Pictured) fought in the UFC, he was competing two weight divisions heavier than his current home at 135 pounds. Despite the disadvantage, though, “The Pride of El Salvador” went the distance against future UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra, who was fighting at 155 then.

That’s the story of Menjivar’s career thus far: fighting, and often beating, bigger opposition. He dropped a decision to Serra in their bout at UFC 48 in June 2004, but his entertaining performance continued to stir speculation over how good he could be if the UFC had a bantamweight division.

Now it does, and nearly seven years later, Menjivar will return to the Octagon on Saturday in his home of Canada, at his natural weight of 135.

“In the beginning I was dreaming for the sport to become big like [this],” Menjivar said recently on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “In the next five years, this sport should be better and bigger. But for right now, it’s a great, great moment for us.”

Menjivar has fought just twice since returning to MMA after a three-and-a-half-year hiatus. He had left the sport in November 2006 to tend to a knee injury and spend time with his family.

“That was a good time for me to take a break to focus on my family and myself,” he said. “When I saw ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ coming out, I realized, oh, this is going to be big and people are going to love it. I realized it was a bad moment to take a break, but life is like that.”

Menjivar submitted Aaron Miller with a triangle choke last June in his return bout. In December he debuted in the WEC, dropping an entertaining decision to Brad Pickett.

“I enjoyed the fight,” Menjivar said. “It was fun to fight with him. He’s strong. He punched me and I punched him, but I made mistakes. I didn’t [follow] my strategy much, my plan much, and he took me down. That’s why I lost.”

The back-and-forth bout likely helped Menjivar work out the kinks of his comeback, however. He’ll need to be sharp at UFC 129, when he takes on Charlie Valencia.

“I know he has good wrestling and good submissions,” Menjivar said. “I’ll have to [be careful] and don’t let him play the game. … I’ve seen his last three or four fights. I studied him with my partners and coach. We studied him to not make bad mistakes. We have a secret strategy to confuse him and play with him and to give a good fight at the same time.”

Putting on an exciting fight seems to be of the utmost importance for Menjivar. He has a reputation as an entertainer, and he’ll have the biggest audience of his career with the UFC already selling 55,000 tickets for the event. It’s an enormous stage for a fighter who has long waited his turn. He plans on giving fans their money’s worth whether they’re inside the Rogers Centre in Toronto or watching on pay-per-view.

“Everybody can see us in Australia, everywhere -- China, Japan, they’re watching us,” Menjivar said. “That’s why my only goal is to go in there 100 percent and give them the best fight they’ve ever seen before.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 43:10).

Comments

Dana White: 'Not the Fight I was Expecting' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White felt like the fight that Conor McGregor fought against Floyd Mayweather was something different than he expected. read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Joby Sanchez Has Fought His Way Back To The UFC | MMAWeekly.com

After being released from the UFC following The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale in late 2015, flyweight Joby Sanchez has fought his way back to the organization. read news >>

UFC and Kitman Labs Launch Innovative Sports Science Program

UFC® and Kitman Labs® today announced a multi-year partnership to deliver an innovative sports science and medicine program to all athletes competing under the UFC banner as they visit the UFC Perfor read news >>

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding to fight Gilbert Melendez at UFC 215

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding, which is why he hopes to make Gilbert Melendez’s first night as a featherweight miserable.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Just 1 year into pro career, UFC's Cynthia Calvillo looks for perfect 5-0 calendar year

A year into her pro MMA career, Cynthia Calvillo is already making a splash in the UFC. She hopes to conclude 2017 with a perfect 5-0 mark.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Lopez completes destiny with UFC contract

Benito Lopez fought the fight of his life on Aug. 22, but even with that gritty 3-round split decision on the 8th week of the Contender Series, Lopez didn’t know if it was enough to earn a UFC contra read news >>

UFC Veteran Mark Hunt Discusses Slurred Speech, Memory Loss

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for Pla read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Gregor Gillespie taps out Jason Gonzalez in absolute barnburner

Gregor Gillespie kept his career record perfect, but Jason Gonzalez didn’t make it easy.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>