#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nick Diaz #Darren Till #Michael Bisping #Anderson Silva #Holly Holm #Donald Cerrone

Marcus Davis and Jeremy Stephens at UFC 125Over this past year, former UFC welterweight Marcus “Irish Hand Grenade” Davis has overcome an issue with weight, which he feels cost him in his time with the promotion.

Previously having had to cut down from over 200 pounds, Davis discovered medical issues which kept him heavy going into fights, and having since worked to overcome those issues, things have gone much better for him.

“It’s been since about September 2012 since my health really turned around and I haven’t had any relapse of the issues I’ve had since then and I haven’t been above 185 pounds since then,” he said. “It’s a huge difference to have that 30-40 pound difference of weight to walk around at.”

In three fights since getting his issues under control, Davis has won two (with one no contest) in dominating fashion.

“When I fought David Bielkheden, I went into his hometown and dropped him three times in the first round and then I took him right to the ground and beat him the whole time on the ground,” said Davis. “It showed how good my jiu-jitsu defense and my wrestling have become; I got every takedown on him and dominated him.

“Against Darrius Heylinger, I’ve always had problems against guys over six feet, but I was able to work out a very good game plan against him and out-struck him and out-wrestled him, and once again won every round.”

Davis (22-9) is feeling so good these days that he’s made the decision to drop down to 155 pounds and will make his debut at the weight in the opening round of this season’s Bellator lightweight tournament on Friday against top Russian fighter Alexander “Tiger” Sarnavskiy (23-1).

“(Sarnavskiy) is going to be taller than me, but his reach is only like two inches longer than mine, so I don’t think that’s going to matter much in the fight,” said Davis. “I know everybody talks about how strong this kid is, but I guarantee he’s not going to be as strong as I am.

“I have strength and experience on my side, so I’m looking forward to this fight.”

In the past, Davis admittedly has gotten caught up in trying to make a fight as exciting as possible and gotten into exchanges he probably should have. For this fight and tournament in general, Davis told MMAWeekly.com that he’s going to avoid such tactics and fight as intelligently as possible.

“I don’t think it’s going to be a slugfest, or at least I don’t intend it to be,” he said. “When I fought in the UFC, I did fight to entertain and I did take it to the point to where the UFC was giving huge (finish) bonuses, so I got into this groove where I was paid to do that, and that’s what I did.

“I’m fighting, in my opinion, the most dangerous guy in the tournament stylistically, so I’ve got to go out there, be smart, not get hit a lot and look to finish this kid any way that comes up.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

Zach Makovsky doesn't have plan beyond ACB 72 headliner vs. Yoni Sherbatov

Former UFC veteran and Bellator champion Zach Makovsky isn’t sure what his fighting future holds.Filed under: News, Radio, Videos read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator 183 pre-event facts: Roy Nelson moves to Bellator with several UFC records in hand

For more on the numbers behind the fights, check below for 30 pre-event facts about Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Roy Nelson: Bellator 'Actually Loves MMA…Reminds Me of the UFC 10 Years Ago' | MMAWeekly.com

It's been eight years since Roy Nelson last competed in a promotion other than the UFC but on Saturday night he will officially make his debut with Bellator MMA. Nelson, 41, didn't exactly have the b read news >>

Scott Coker knows plenty about those comparisons to the UFC ahead of Bellator 183

Scott Coker knows a few things about having his promotion compared to the big guns at the UFC. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 183 results: Roy Nelson falls back on grappling to best Jay Ayala

Veteran heavyweight Roy Nelson got a run for his money against Jay Ayala in his Bellator debut. So he fell back on his grappling to take home the win.Filed under: Bellator, Featured read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 medical suspensions: No tapping gets Yushin Okami 45 days

UFC veteran Yushin Okami didn’t appear to have much choice in the matter, but his lack of tap against Ovince Saint Preux brings a 45-day suspension.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Sept. 26: Does Jessica Andrade deserve another title shot?

With both the UFC and Bellator in action over the weekend, plenty of fighters had a chance to make a statement, but perhaps none did more so than Jessica Andrade.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, read news >>

Scott Coker: Chuck Liddell would need 'battery of tests' before fighting in Bellator

UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell is talking like he’s about to make a comeback in the Bellator cage, but it won’t be as simple as signing a fight deal.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

The MMA Road Show with John Morgan No. 131 – Las Vegas: UFC, Bellator recap, featuring Carano, Werdum, Ferguson

Episode No. 131 of “The MMA Road Show with John Morgan” podcast is now available for streaming and download.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>