Felice Herrig

Felice Herrig

After a disappointing start to her MMA career, Felice Herrig has persevered and now she’s on the verge of quite possibly her biggest year yet.

Already a familiar face on the combat sports circuit, Herrig lost her first two bouts by split decision. Being the determined person she is, she recognized her problems and has won four of her last five fights.

“I was frustrated,” admitted Herrig. “I was already a pro kickboxer/Muay Thai fighter when I entered MMA, and already had a name from ‘Fight Girls,’ so a lot of girls already knew how to fight me, how to beat me.

“All the girls did was push me up against the cage (in my first two fights), and I knew that it was just a matter of time (before I adjusted). I know the kind of athlete and the kind of person that I am, and I have that no quit attitude.”

With the help of Team Curran, Herrig has become a complete fighter out of necessity in order to succeed in MMA.

“Girls don’t want to strike with me, so I knew what I needed to be good at was my wrestling and jiu-jitsu; my grappling,” she told MMAWeekly.com. “The rate that I’ve been growing at (with Team Curran) has just been crazy.

“I just needed somebody to actually teach me and here, every single day, I have an opportunity to train day and night. People think of me mainly as a striker, but now I’m well-rounded and I can call myself an MMA fighter.”

Herrig was able to display her evolution with a dominant win over Nicaldi Rivera-Calanoc at XFO 39 on May 13.

“The fight wasn’t even close, actually,” stated Herrig. “She tried to pin me up against the cage, wrestle me, and take me down; that was her game plan, and I beat her at her own game.

“I beat her in the clinch, I took her down every single round, and I was in dominant positions the whole time. I got the better of the striking, and everything I threw landed. The fight wasn’t even close. It was 30-27 on all the judges’ scorecards in my favor.”

Not only inside the cage is Herrig excelling, but she’s also about to invade the video game world as a part of Supremacy MMA for PS3 and Xbox 360.

“Michelle (Gutierrez) and I are the first real female fighters to be featured in an MMA video game,” commented Herrig. “It’s scheduled to come out in June and it’s going to be great.”

With her hectic schedule, Herrig is going to take a break before returning to action later this year.

“I’ve been doing so much for this video game that it’s hard to do all these things while you’re doing training camp, so I kind of want to be a person for a little bit,” she said.

“I’ve been fighting for eight years now, and I average five to six fights a year, so I want to take some time off, but after that I’ll start taking offers.”

Herrig’s recent success continues to prove that it’s not how you start something, but how you end it that counts.

“Basically, if you don’t know me now, over this next year you’re going to get to know me real quick, because I’m going to be everywhere.”

Felice Herrig full media scrum ahead of UFC Fight Night 104

HOUSTON – After an impressive “Performance of the Night” win this past summer, veteran strawweight Felice Herrig is getting back to business.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Felice Herrig's journey to the depths of depression and back

When strawweight Felice Herrig stepped into the Octagon at Chicago's United Center in July to the poppy chorus of Rachel Platten's "Fight Song," she did so as an MMA veteran with everything to prove. read news >>

Alexa Grasso vs. Felice Herrig: UFC Houston Joe Rogan Preivew | MMAWeekly.com

UFC commentator Joe Rogan previews the Fight Night Houston co-main event between strawweights Alexa Grasso and Felice Herrig. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Felice Herrig's upset of Alexa Grasso at UFC Fight Night 104

Marquee strawweight prospect Alexa Grasso was handed her first career loss on Saturday when she was beaten by Felice Herrig in the UFC Fight Night 104 co-main event at Toyota Center in Houston.Filed read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 results: Felice Herrig's striking on point to shut down Alexa Grasso

HOUSTON – Felice Herrig came in as a heavy underdog, but you wouldn’t have known it from the way she fought against Alexa Grasso.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Felice Herrig v2.0 Puts First Blemish on Alexa Grasso's Record (UFC Houston Results) | MMAWeekly.com

A new and improved Felice Herrig took a unanimous decision over Alexa Grasso at UFC Fight Night 104 on Saturday in Houston. read news >>

Grasso vs. Herrig Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 104

Felice Herrig warned before UFC Fight Night 104 that she would be more than just a measuring stick for up-and-coming strawweight star Alexa Grasso, per Fox Sports' Damon Martin. Saturday night during read news >>

Felice Herrig Shucks Underdog Role to be the Bulldog (UFC Houston Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Felice "Lil Bulldog" Herrig, as she upsets highly favored Alexa Grasso at UFC Fight Night 104 in Houston. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 video highlights: Felice Herrig vs. Alexa Grasso

Felice Herrig thought she was being overlooked going into her fight with Alexa Grasso. She took care of that fairly decisively. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Felice Herrig hopes UFC 'does the right thing' and gives her VanZant or Waterson

HOUSTON – The way UFC women’s strawweight Felice Herrig sees the situation, the promotion kind of owes her one when it comes to her next fight. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>