#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Rizin 7 #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping

Liz Carmouch kicking Marloes CoenenAfter winning five straight fights to start out her career, Liz Carmouche suffered setbacks last year when she lost back-to-back bouts.

According to Carmouche, changes needed to be made. “The harshest critic I know is myself. Even if I win, if anything, I’m harder on myself. I see more holes in my game with a win than I do with a loss. Having two losses definitely made me look at myself and how I was training and has made me work that much harder wanting another win.”

Having high profile fights with Marloes Coenen and Sarah Kaufman may lead people to forget that Carmouche has just a little over two years of experience in the sport.

“I’m really new to it,” said Carmouche. “I’m going up against people who decades of experience of fighting, and I’m still learning as a go.

“I’ve definitely made a lot of changes. My schedule’s a lot different and it allows me to concentrate on every aspect of MMA, to commit the time I need to it.”

With Strikeforce’s schedule cut in half for 2012, Carmouche was more than happy to hear that she’d be allowed to fight for Invicta FC on April 28 in Kansas City, Kan.

“It’s been almost a year now since I’ve had a fight, and while I’ve trained the whole time, it’s different when you don’t have that pressure and end goal, so just have that opportunity alone, I’m happy for,” she said.

“To work with people who really want to build up women’s MMA is just wonderful. These are people who had previously worked for Strikeforce, so they definitely know what they’re doing, so I’m really looking forward this.”

Carmouche is scheduled to face Ashleigh Curry on Invicta’s inaugural show. It’s a fight that Carmouche is not taking lightly.

“I know she doesn’t necessarily have a lot of MMA experience, but she’s an athlete all-around,” said Carmouche of Curry. “She went from basketball to boxing and has 10 boxing matches, so she’s by no means inexperienced.

“She’s five-foot-nine and I’m five-foot-six, so just trying to get in and get away from the exchanges is going to be difficult enough in itself. Because of her reach (I’m) practically running to try to get in there.”

With women’s fights at a premium, Carmouche knows it’s not just enough to win, but she must win in impressive fashion to not only keep herself busy, but the sport as a whole alive.

“As much as I’d like to think it’s not constantly nagging me, we have to prove ourselves and show that we have just as much a right to be there as the men,” she said.

“We have to have a great show that leaves a mark in everyone’s minds. It’s not just go out there and give your best performance, it’s go out there and give a performance that they will remember.”

Invicta FC 1 streams live for free on Saturday, April 28 at InvictaFC.com

Comments

Rematch to determine inaugural women's flyweight champion at Bellator 186

Bellator will crown its first female 125-pound champion at Bellator 186 with Ilima MacFarlane vs. Emily Ducote.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Episode No. 4 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'

MMAjunkie recaps episode No. 4 of “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which crowns the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

MMA's week out of the cage: Jedrzejczyk's multiple magazine covers, Conor Jr.'s custom kicks

Check out the best social media posts from fighters and their lives outside of the cage in the past week.Filed under: News read news >>

Episode No. 5 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'

MMAjunkie recaps episode five of “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which crowns the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Alexis Davis, Liz Carmouche Meet at Flyweight in Rematch at UFC Fight Night in Fresno | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of past title challengers will meet in a rematch at 125 pounds when Alexis Davis faces off with Liz Carmouche on Dec. 9 at UFC Fight Night from Fresno, Calif. UFC officials announced the match read news >>

Alexis Davis vs. Liz Carmouche rematch among UFC-Fresno fight-card additions

December’s UFC Fight Night 123 event has a slew of new additions, officials today announced.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

MMA's week out of the cage: Mourning Hugh Hefner, Benson's new arrival, more

Check out the best social media posts from fighters and their lives outside of the cage in the past week. 1 2 …3Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Episode No. 6 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'

MMAjunkie recaps episode six of “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which crowns the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

MMA's week out of the cage: Mourning Tom Petty, Manuwa breaks punching machine, Gracie walks on water

Check out the best social media posts from fighters and their lives outside of the cage in the past week. 1 2 …3Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

MMA's week out of the cage: Jon Jones and Ronda Rousey resurface, Cerrone's rattlesnake, more

Check out the best social media posts from fighters and their lives outside of the cage in the past week. 1 2Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>