#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #GSP #Conor McGregor #Fight Night Sydney #Ben Askren #Shinya Aoki #Rose Namajunas #TJ Dillashaw #ONE FC #Cody Garbrandt

When the UFC called K.J. Noons to let him know he’d be fighting Donald Cerrone in his promotional debut at UFC 160, the Strikeforce veteran immediately liked the matchup.

“I thought right away it’s a great matchup, great fireworks,” Noons told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I’ve got a lot of respect for the guy as a fighter … . He’s very well versed. He’s a very well-rounded fighter. He likes to stand and bang, and he can mix it up anywhere.”

The lightweight bout will take place Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Noons enters the fight having lost four of his last five, but his last defeat in particular was controversial. Many observers believe he defeated Ryan Couture, though the judges gave Couture a split decision.

“I’m not making excuses for my losses, but the last five fights, the first loss was to Nick Diaz, which was a very close fight in a weight division which I don’t even fight in,” Noons said. “I did that for the organization because they asked me to. … I did lose to [Jorge] Masvidal, so we can say that’s a loss. Came back and won a fight after that, and then I fought Josh [Thomson] and he just laid on me like a human blanket. I kind of look at that like he was pretty scared to fight. I guess it wasn’t even really a fight, and then last fight, the judges gave it to [Couture]. Like I said, I’m not trying to make a lot of excuses, but it’s just kind of where the cards fell.”

In Noons’ view, the UFC brought him over from Strikeforce because he’s an entertaining fighter who deserved the nod against Couture.

“Stylistically, I believe I still have a lot of fights left,” Noons said. “I’m an exciting fighter. I think that has a lot to play in what the UFC decides. … I’m pretty confident that my style of fighting is pretty exciting and people like to watch it. That’s what the UFC likes. They like exciting fights and what people want to see.”

Cerrone is also known as an exciting fighter. On paper at least, the matchup looks to be a barnburner assuming both fighters are willing to trade on the feet. Noons isn’t so sure Cerrone will look to stand, though.

“There’s only been one person that’s stood and banged with me,” he said. “It was Nick Diaz. I don’t know if that’s the smartest thing … . I train for every aspect of the game because it’s MMA. It might look like it’s going to be a standup war, but people want to put it wherever it’s going to be the most to their advantage. I feel like the biggest advantage for me is standing. He’s probably going to be wanting to take it anywhere, make my hands tired, make legs tired. I’m ready for wherever the fight goes. I think it’s going to be exciting anywhere.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:25:39).

Galleries

Donald Cerrone Fights

• a year ago

Comments

History Will Remember Michael Bisping Kindly, Even If UFC Fans Don't

Michael Bisping isn’t here to make friends. Aside from pure longevity, perhaps the current middleweight champion’s biggest strength throughout his 11-year, 26-fight career in the Octagon has been an read news >>

Watch Dana White goof on the tattoos of Conor McGregor, Brock Lesnar, Alan Belcher

UFC President Dana White says he isn’t really a tattoo guy, which might be surprising for an MMA promoter. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

How will Paul Felder stay unbiased calling teammate Anthony Pettis at UFC-Norfolk? Let him explain

Paul Felder discusses the challenge of doing commentary for teammate Anthony Pettis, who meets Dustin Poirier in UFC Fight Night 120’s main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Back from long layoff, Tatiana Suarez wants to take scenic route to UFC title

Tatiana Suarez isn’t looking to rush into a UFC title shot after returning from a long layoff at UFC Fight Night 120.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Michael Bisping agrees to fight Kelvin Gastelum at UFC-Shanghai just 3 weeks after title loss

Michael Bisping isn’t wasting any time trying to erase the memory of his UFC middleweight title loss to Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC vet Thompson knows he has to continue to evolve

"To stay at the top of the game, especially with the new up and comers coming up, you gotta keep evolving. You’ve got to think that you can do better. That’s the mentality you have to have," Thompson read news >>

UFC 217 – Fight by Fight Preview

Take a dive into the entire UFC 217 fight card with this fight-by-fight preview. read news >>

Brown: 'I'm going to change Gall's life'

Randy Brown shared some strong opinions on his UFC 217 opposition, Mickey Gall, at Wednesday's Media Day at Madison Square Garden. Brown believes the Dana White: Lookin' For a Fight star hasn't earne read news >>

With UFC 217 on deck, NYSAC adopts ABC's loss of bodily fluid recommendation

If a competitor “visibly loses control of a bodily function (vomit, urine, bowels),” the fight will be declared a TKO.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Rose Namajunas Engage in Chilling Staredown During Fiery UFC 217 Face Offs! (Video) | MMAWeekly.c

No one was immune from the final moments of mental warfare at the UFC 217 Face-Offs; even Joanna Jedrzejczyk put her fist in Rose Namajunas' face. read news >>