MENU
#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt #UFC 207


Junior dos Santos

UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos is likely to get a new opponent for his planned May 26 title defense at UFC 146 in Las Vegas, and he’s finally talking about it.

His original opposition, Alistair Overeem, failed a surprise drug test following last week’s UFC 146 kickoff press conference. Overeem, along with dos Santos and the four other fighters taking part in the promotional junket, were surprised immediately after by Nevada State Athletic Commission officials demanding a urine sample for screening.

Overeem was the sole fighter of the six tested to return a positive result. His testosterone to epitestosterone ratio measured 14 to 1, according to NSAC executive director Keith Kizer. The allowed limit in Nevada is 6 to 1.

Overeem has the right to request his “B” sample, a second sample taken at the time of the test, be measured to try and refute the “A” sample results, but if history is any indicator, his “B” sample is unlikely to return a significantly different result.

Though he has yet to go before the commission, Overeem is currently unlicensed in Nevada and this test result is expected to result in a denial of license with the inability to re-apply in that state, likely for the next year. A final determination won’t come until the Nevada commission reviews his case.

Nearly everyone even remotely involved, save for Overeem and dos Santos, quickly went on record with their thoughts.

Former champion Frank Mir, who is slated to fight in a No. 1 contender’s bout against Cain Velasquez on the UFC 146 fight card, immediately threw his name in the hat to be considered should Overeem be unable to fight.

UFC president Dana White was beside himself.

“I am beyond pissed about this,” White told theStarPhoenix.com. “The worst part is that he sat in front of us and lied to us.

“How (expletive) stupid do you have to be? Seriously dumb. Anybody who’s using right now is an absolute (expletive) moron.”

While dos Santos was quiet for the first few days following the reports, he took to his official Twitter account on Thursday to comment.

“I am professional and I’m champion without ever having used anything for better performance. When you guys see me fighting, that’s really me,” he wrote.

“About what happened to Overeem, I don’t know anything more than you guys know and for me it’s between him and the Nevada Athletic Commission.”

Thus far, all the pundits, MMAWeekly.com included, believe that Frank Mir is the leading candidate to replace Overeem should he be precluded from fighting, and in all likelihood, he will be precluded from fighting on May 26.

dos Santos doesn’t know what the future holds, but said that his training camp is still focused on fighting Overeem. That is likely to change rather quickly, unless Overeem’s case takes a surprising turn in the opposite direction.

Until things shake out, dos Santos will continue training, planning for a fight against… someone, taking care of the one thing he does know about.

“I know a lot about me, that’s it!”

Follow @KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken Pishna.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Galleries

Junior Dos Santos Fights

  • 5 months ago
  • 1149 views

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

UFC-Japan opened with 2 guys doing major damage to each other's face

  • 27 days ago
  • 62 views

The curtain-jerker at UFC Fight Night 117 turned out to be bad news for faces.Filed under: Blue Corner, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 winner John Moraga has fought top guys for pennies, now wants to get paid

  • 7 days ago
  • 34 views

When John Moraga knocked out Magomed Bibulatov with a thunderous left hook, he was purging months – and perhaps years – of dissatisfaction.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Veteran UFC lightweight Michael Johnson wants top guys if he moves to featherweight

  • 8 days ago
  • 4 views

Michael Johnson, now 31, doesn’t have time to waste if he moves down to featherweight.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Reveals Text Messages from Vince McMahon About Conor McGregor

  • 8 days ago
  • 31 views

On Thursday, UFC President Dana White shot down rumors that Conor McGregor was in negotiations to appear at WrestleMania 34 in New Orleans. Appearing on Good Day New York (h/t Corey Jacobs of Wrestli read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier now targets 2018 for title defense against Volkan Oezdemir

  • 8 days ago
  • 15 views

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier expects to defend his title in early 2018, facing upstart Volkan Oezdemir in his first challenge since being re-crowned as the titleholder.Filed under: N read news >>

UFC 215 and UFC 216 Pay-Per-View Numbers Reportedly Bottomed Out | MMAWeekly.com

  • 8 days ago
  • 131 views

While 2016 was a banner year for UFC Pay-Per-View events, 2017 has seen a tremendous reverse in fortunes. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Deserves Seven-Figure Payday to Move Up for Superfight

  • 8 days ago
  • 10 views

At UFC 216, Demetrious Johnson became the most successful champion in UFC history. By defeating Ray Borg via suplex armbar, Johnson notched his 11th title defense, breaking the record set by Anderson read news >>

Dana White Claims He's Only Saving Mark Hunt from Himself | MMAWeekly.com

  • 7 days ago
  • 170 views

Dana White says he yanked Mark Hunt from UFC Fight Night headliner to save him from himself. read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: UFC's decision to sideline Mark Hunt against his will is a tricky one

  • 7 days ago
  • 15 views

Can the UFC sideline a fighter for writing about symptoms of brain trauma? What precedent does that set? That and more in Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre Toronto Press Conference Live Stream | MMAWeekly.com

  • 7 days ago
  • 93 views

Watch the UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre Toronto Press Conference Live Stream on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>