WEC fighter Joseph Benavidez

Joseph Benavidez is looking to add to his career accolades. He’s already been a top title contender, a male model, and now he’s looking to add author to that list as well.

Before ever fighting Wagnney Fabiano in November, the Team Alpha Male fighter declared quite prophetically that he eats black belts for breakfast. He then promptly submitted Fabiano, who happens to be a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, in the second round of their match-up at WEC 52.

Following the fight, Benavidez mentioned that it was “joe-jitsu” that got him through the fight, and now he’s decided to coin the phrase officially as he works on his new book, “A Complex Living, Breathing Guide to Joe-Jitsu.”

The lifestyle guide as Benavidez describes it, will have belt levels and a path for all those who aspire to become experts in Joe-Jitsu. All jokes aside however, Benavidez isn’t sure why he’s matched up with so many black belts, but if that’s what the UFC has in store for him, he’s happy to notch a few more wins on his belt.

“My last four wins have been against black belts,” Benavidez told MMAWeekly Radio. “It’s cool cause even though I’ve been matched up with black belts my last four fights, my last four wins, looking back basically I’ve demolished anyone that’s not named Dominick Cruz, that doesn’t like run around from me. So I just beat them and they just happened to be black belts.”

Before his fight with Fabiano, like many WEC stars, Benavidez was hesitant to talk too much about a UFC future simply because without a win he may not have had a UFC future. Now he knows for sure he’s making the transition and he’s already in the ear of matchmaker Sean Shelby to get him a fight.

“Now my next fight’s in the UFC, I’m excited for it. I don’t have anything to say as far as opponents. There’s a lot of tough dudes out there and I’ve been trying to get in Sean Shelby’s ear and my manager’s to try and find something out, but I’m kind of in a different position right now where I just fought for the title, and I feel I’ll beat anyone else there is, so I’m just waiting,” said Benavidez.

As far as where and when he wants to fight, Benavidez, who has fought in Japan before, hopes to travel abroad for the UFC. Some fighters shy away from traveling long distances for fights, but Benavidez is hopeful to end up on one of the UFC cards with some international flavor to it.

“I’m going to ask to travel and fight on one of these international shows, just to get the experience,” Benavidez stated. “I’m hoping for March. March is a good month for me, it’s a lucky month for me. That’s when I fought Miguel Torres last year, and I believe there’s also three shows in March so I’m really hoping to get on one of those.”

There has been no word on potential opponents for Benavidez, but as a Top 10 ranked bantamweight, there is no shortage of possibilities for him. Also keep an eye out for Benavidez’s book of Joe-Jitsu coming very soon to retailers everywhere.

Holm vs. De Randamie: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 208

The UFC will add a new champion to the fold when Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie close out UFC 208 on Saturday, February 11, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The main event features read news >>

Inside the impressive career facts and figures for UFC 208 co-headliner Anderson Silva

Former longtime pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva once again returns to the octagon on Saturday when he takes on Derek Brunson in the UFC 208 co-main event. Get a look at his impressive career numb read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2384 with Joseph Benavidez and Todd Grisham

Stream or download Tuesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Joseph Benavidez and Todd Grisham.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Anderson Silva Wins, Decisions Derek Brunson (UFC 208 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champion Anderson Silva picked up his 34th career win on Saturday when he defeated Derek Brunson by unanimous decision at UFC 208. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Informs UFC of Retirement from MMA, Removed from Drug Testing Pool

Brock Lesnar's mixed martial arts career appears to be over. A UFC spokesperson on Tuesday told MMA Fighting's Marc Raimondi the former UFC heavyweight champion informed the company of his retirement read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

Germaine de Randamie Looking to Solidify Fighting Career with UFC Title | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC will crown its first female 145-pound champion at UFC 208 on Saturday. Either Germaine de Randamie or Holly Holm will make history. read news >>

UFC boss Dana White had Derek Brunson over Anderson Silva in UFC 208 co-main event

Add UFC President Dana White to the list of people who scored the UFC 208 co-main event for Derek Brunson.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-champ Johny Hendricks promises rebirth of fallen career at UFC Fight Night 105

HALIFAX – Johny Hendricks has a pep in his step that he said has been absent for several years as he approaches Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 showdown with Hector Lombard.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>