#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Rizin 7 #Michael Bisping

Jon Jones UFC 145UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was by far the most talked about athlete heading into Saturday night’s UFC 152 card for a myriad of reasons.

At the top of the list were the questions about Jones turning down a short-notice fight with Chael Sonnen at UFC 151, an event that was ultimately cancelled when no main event could be retained for the show.

But prior to UFC 152 on Saturday, commentator Joe Rogan sat down with the 205-pound king to discuss another matter – his arrest and conviction earlier this year on charges of driving under the influence.

Jones was arrested on May 19 for suspicion of driving while intoxicated, and ultimately led to the New York native being fined $1,000 and having his driver’s license suspended for the next six months.

Looking back on the situation, Jones says that the DWI was a wake-up call, but mostly served notice that he wasn’t perfect and showed everyone he was capable of making mistakes.

“I believe in some cases MMA fans, and just fans of sports in general, have short memories. I actually believe my DUI set me free in some ways. It set me free from a lot of fan expectation. I was definitely coming into a sport as a young man trying to be perfect for people, and that’s why people call me fake. I wasn’t doing myself justice at all,” Jones said when speaking to Rogan during the UFC 152 prelims on FX.

“I was kind of living miserably trying to be the golden boy for the UFC. So my DUI, it was terrible to get behind the wheel of a car while I was already under the influence, it was a bad decision, but it set me free. Now people know, yeah, I will drink on occasion, and I am a 25-year-old guy who does dumb stuff.”

Jones admits that the end result of driving drunk could have been deadly for others as well as an obvious danger to his own health, but he tries to turn the whole ordeal into a positive.

Now, Jones looks back on his DWI as a way to grow as an adult and he’s looking forward to pressing through the adversity as he heads into his next fight on Saturday against Vitor Belfort at UFC 152.

“I guess the biggest thing I learned from the situation is how things could have gone wrong. I could have hurt someone; I could not be sitting here right now. I could be dead and I’m blessed that didn’t end up happening. My life, I’m doing so well at a lot of things and you can find yourself becoming bored in a way. Bored with such a routine in life and everything,” said Jones

“So to go through such struggle and have so many people criticizing me, whether it’s about the (UFC 151) cancellation or the DWI, it’s all a blessing. It’s another opportunity to grow as a man.”

For more news about UFC 152 make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Daniel Cormier Tells TMZ He Wants to Fight Jon Jones Again

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier revealed he would be happy to fight Jon Jones for a third time. Jones was stripped of the title he won against Cormier at UFC 214 after the bout was rule read news >>

Daniel Cormier Still At Odds with Being Handed the UFC Belt Jon Jones Took From Him | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally. read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with Jon Jones (not that one), Joe Lauzon, Eric Nicksick, Jason Buchamer

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Jon Jones (not that one), Joe Lauzon and Eric Nicksick.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2530 with Joe Lauzon, the other Jon Jones, Eric Nicksick

Stream or download Friday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Joe Lauzon, Jon Jones and Eric Nicksick.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Jeff Novitzky Debunks Jon Jones Controversy | MMAWeekly.com

Following claims that he declared Jon Jones innocent, UFC exec Jeff Novitzky debunked the controversial reports. read news >>

MMA's week out of the cage: Jon Jones and Ronda Rousey resurface, Cerrone's rattlesnake, more

Check out the best social media posts from fighters and their lives outside of the cage in the past week. 1 2Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Jon Jones Could Have Been UFC Heavyweight Champion | MMAWeekly.com

• 22 hours ago

Dana White hasn't talked to former champ Jon Jones since his failed UFC 214 drug test, but believes Jones could have been the greatest ever. read news >>

Dana White Doubts There Will Be Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor Rematch

• 21 hours ago

While Floyd Mayweather's victory over Conor McGregor surpassed many fans' expectations in terms of entertainment value, UFC President Dana White is skeptical about the odds of a rematch between the t read news >>