Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

UFC on FOX 23's Jason Knight plans Caceres KO, new contract and callout of 'The Korean Superboy'

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Don’t accuse Jason Knight for being one of those UFC fighters who doesn’t think ahead each time he enters and exits the octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jarod Trice Plans to Test Kevin Woltkamp's Chin at Bellator 171 | MMAWeekly.com

After fighting his debut at 205 pounds, Jarod Trice (1-0) steps up to heavyweight in a preliminary card bout at Bellator 171 against Kevin Woltkamp (1-2). read news >>

CM Punk Plans to Fight Again Whether It's in the UFC or Elsewhere | MMAWeekly.com

Despite losing in his UFC debut, CM Punk is determined to fight again whether it's in the UFC or not. read news >>

Brendan Allen Plans to Put Jon Kirk Away at LFA 3 | MMAWeekly.com

On Friday, Brendan Allen seeks to add to his winning streak when he takes on vet Jon Kirk in the 185-pound co-main event of LFA 3. read news >>

Lineup, broadcast plans set for Sunday's UFC Fight Night 105 – with lone UFC Fight Pass bout

Ten of 11 bouts at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 event will air on FS1, with just one preliminary-card bout streaming on UFC Fight Pass.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Speed Bag: UFC champ Germaine de Randamie's plans? Yeah, that's not how you do this

New UFC women’s featherweight Germaine de Randamie’s short title reign has already been a curious one – mostly of her own doing.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sheymon Moraes says WSOF will neither book nor release him: It feels like 'the days of slavery'

Eight months after his last WSOF bout, one-time title challenger Sheymon Moraess is injury-free and hungry to get back into action. But, unable to get booked or released from his current contract, he read news >>

Erick Gonzalez Plans To Push Danny Ramirez 'To His Limits' at Combate Americas 11 | MMAWeekly.com

Erick Gonzalez will look to carry his momentum into his first fight of 2017 when he takes on Danny Ramirez in a main card 155-pound bout at Combate Americas 11. read news >>

Travis Browne: 'Ignorant' Derrick Lewis will be 'held accountable' at UFC Fight Night 105

HALIFAX – Travis Browne plans to put a halt to Derrick Lewis’ growing momentum as a future UFC heavyweight contender at UFC Fight Night 105.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Travis Browne Plans to Start Title Run Starting with Derrick Lewis (UFC Halifax Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Ninth-ranked heavyweight Travis Browne is ready to get back to his winning ways at UFC Halifax, but he has to go through eighth-ranked Derrick Lewis. read news >>