#Bellator 185 #UFC Fight Night 118 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator MMA #Kristina Williams #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Heather Hardy #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #Conor McGregor

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

Galleries

Vitor Belfort Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC's Henry Cejudo details escape from California wildfires: I was 'literally in a ring of fire'

Henry Cejudo feels grateful to be alive after jumping from his second-floor hotel window to escape raging wildfires.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Darren Till's simple plan? Be the 'greatest fighter that ever fought in MMA'

Darren Till’s immediate plans? To knock out Donald Cerrone in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 118 headliner. After that? “I want to be remembered as the greatest fighter that ever fought in MMA.”Filed und read news >>

Donald Cerrone Couldn’t Pick Darren Till Out of a Line-Up, but He’ll Gladly Knock Him Out

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone plans on giving undefeated British phenom Darren Till a reality check when they square off in the 5 round main event at Fight Night Gdansk read news >>

Jordon Larson Heads into LFA 25 Shaping His Plans for UFC or Bellator

Jordon Larson (8-3) will look to get a more productive win when he returns to the LFA on Friday to take on Kassius Holdorf (10-4) in a170-pound bout in Omaha. read news >>

Vitor Belfort announces fight vs. Uriah Hall for January 2018

Vitor Belfort says he’s signed a bout agreement and thanked Uriah Hall for accepting the fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Vitor Belfort Announces Next Fight Against Uriah Hall in 2018 | MMAWeekly.com

Vitor Belfort flirted with retirement but it appears the 'old lion' is not going anywhere any time soon. On Thursday, Belfort took to Instagram where he announced his next opponent and the date for t read news >>

Adam Piccolotti Plans To Put It All Together Against Goiti Yamauchi at Bellator 183 | MMAWeekly.com

On September 23, Adam Piccolotti (9-0) will step into the cage for the first time in 10 months when he takes on Goiti Yamauchi (21-3) at Bellator 183. read news >>

Claudia Gadelha has 'no excuses' for UFC-Japan loss, plans for time off

Claudia Gadelha plans to take a hiatus from competition following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 117. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Matchmaker Says Khabib Nurmagomedov Was Offered Tony Ferguson at UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby reveals plans were in motion for Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov in November read news >>

Matt Brown: 'It's Time for Diego Sanchez to Retire and I Think I'm Going to Retire Him' | MMAWeekly.com

Matt Brown plans on two UFC careers coming to an end in November read news >>