#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Bellator MMA #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Conor McGregor #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley

Chris WeidmanSometimes the hardest thing to overcome when facing an iconic figure in fighting is their mystic.

Chris Weidman (9-0) takes on UFC middleweight champion and pound-for-pound best Anderson Silva (33-4) in the UFC 162 main event on July 6, and believes Silva defeats many of his opponents before they even step into the cage.

“I think he (Siliva) definitely, obviously has a strong mental game.  I think a lot of the guys he kind of beats before they walk into the octagon.  Not really because of his mental game, it’s more the performances that he’s put on.  Guys go in there unsure of themselves,” said Weidman on a UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman media conference call on Tuesday.

“I think his performances speak for themselves and are kind of drawn into the minds of the guys going to walk into the cage with him if you’re not mentally prepared and truly confident in yourself.  I think the main thing is to have confidence in there and the best guy is going to win,” added the 29-year-old middleweight contender.

Weidman enters the fight as an underdog, and rightfully so.  Silva is much more experienced.  Weidman’s been out of action for nearly a year, but he doesn’t let those things enter his mind.

“I think if I let all of that stuff get inside my mind, and I was thinking about that stuff, that might get to me.  But I’m just really focused on this fight.  I don’t need a mental coach.  If I had a mental coach I guess it would be Ray Longo,” said Weidman.

“I have a psychology degree, so I think that might help a little bit.  But I know what type of mindset I need to have to walk into the cage.  I vision the fight every day and all day long.  The biggest thing is to stay confident and stay relaxed and make sure I dictate my fight once I get in there.  I’m not worried about any of that other stuff. I’m pretty good with having a strong mindset and not letting things get to me,” added the challenger.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 7 months ago

Chris Weidman Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Jon Jones issues cryptic tweet one week after second drug fail

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is facing a potential four-year suspension and the loss of his undisputed title. But to read his Twitter feed on Sunday, you’d think he had not a care in the read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Faces Rose Namajunas at UFC 217 in New York | MMAWeekly.com

The rich get richer with UFC 217 in New York adding a third title fight. Strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk will put her title up for grabs as she faces former "Ultimate Fighter" season 20 final read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier Headlines UFC Fight Night 120 | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Anthony "Showtime" Pettis faces No. 8 ranked Dustin Poirier in the UFC Fight Night 120 main event on November 11. UFC officials announced the headlining bout for the Norfo read news >>

John Dodson Faces Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night 120 | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of top 10 ranked bantamweights will meet at UFC Fight Night 120 on November 11. No. 8 ranked John Dodson and No. 10 ranked Marlon Moraes will square off inside the octagon. UFC officials annou read news >>

3 bouts featuring Brazilian fighters official for UFC Fight Night 119 in Sao Paulo

The UFC has added three local faces to its return to Brazil, set to take place at Ibirapuera Gymnasium on Oct. 28.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Shogun' Rua Out, Ovince Saint-Preux Now Faces Yushin Okami at UFC in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Less than a week away from the UFC's return to Japan, the event has a brand new main event. Former light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua has suffered a knee injury, which forced him out of read news >>

Thunder Seven - Defining Yushin Okami

At UFC RIO on August 27th, history could be made as Yushin Okami faces longtime middleweight king Anderson Silva in an opportunity to become the first Japanese champion in UFC history. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Has New Weapons for Rose Namajunas | MMAWeekly.com

UFC strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk promises some new weaponry when she faces Rose Namajunas. read news >>

Video: Ex-champ Anderson Silva, Kelvin Gastelum face off for UFC Fight Night 122

• 19 hours ago

Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum face off for the first time ahead of UFC Fight Night 122 on Nov. 25. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>