#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

After claiming both “Submission of the Night” and “Fight of the Night” on Saturday at UFC on Fox 4, Joe Lauzon became the undisputed king of UFC post-fight bonuses with 11 total.

He also added a win to his record when he tapped Jamie Varner with a triangle choke, but getting his hand raised was not Lauzon’s main goal.

“Honestly, winning and losing doesn’t matter to me as much as having an exciting fight, a fight that I would want to watch,” Lauzon told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I think there’s a lot of other guys that they’ll win pretty much every single time out, but they have boring fights most of the time. I don’t want to have that. Win, lose, regardless, I want to have exciting fights. The bonuses just come as a result.”

Lauzon’s two bonuses Saturday earned him an additional $100,000. At this point, he more or less anticipates a bonus every time he fights.

“I think it’s because I put myself out on a limb a lot of times,” Lauzon said. “I really, really want to get that finish. I really want to hurt people. Sometimes I go out too far and they end up cutting the branch out from under me, but I set out to finish someone every single time. I’m not even thinking about trying to win a decision when I fight. Every single time I’m out there, I’m trying to finish the guy. I’m trying to really hurt the guy. I feel like a lot of other guys aren’t doing that. It’s more like a point fight to them. Like, ‘Oh, we won the first round. We won the second round. OK, we’ll coast through the third.’ That’s not me. My coaches were telling me in the third, ‘Push, push, push.’”

That’s when Lauzon got the finish, catching Varner with the choke 2:44 into the final period. It was only the second time in his UFC career that he went past the second round.

“For the most part I push really, really hard, and sometimes that push ends partway through the first or early in the second and then I can’t recover,” Lauzon said. “But I’m working on getting better at that. There were a couple of times in this fight where I was getting a little bit tired, but I took a second and got my breath a little bit. Before I would have just pushed on mindlessly and then had a really tough time recovering.”

Lauzon has now won three of his last four in the UFC. He might emphasize entertaining over winning, but he’s still winning and he still believes a UFC title run is in his future.

“I definitely have some great momentum,” he said. “Some people are saying crazy talk, like title implications, like I’m going to be fighting for a title soon and they’re Tweeting at me and Dana [White], saying give me a title shot. It’s like, ‘Guys, you’ve got to relax.’ I had a good fight. It was an exciting fight, but I’ve got to put a few more wins together and I know that. It’s not a case of getting two wins together. It’s going to be three or four. I’ve still got to put away some good guys.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:27:22).

Comments

Joe Lauzon knows you want 'Fight of the Night' for him and Clay Guida, but he won't chase it

Joe Lauzon remembers the MMAjunkie headline when his fight vs. Clay Guida was announced in August: “Write the bonus check now,” it declared.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Providing for daughter is Junior Albini's 'greatest pleasure' since life-changing UFC debut

After impressing in his UFC debut and winning the hearts of many with his life story, Junior Albini views the added pressure of his second octagon outing in a positive light.Filed under: Featured, Ne read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Tatiana Suarez dominates in return, overwhelms Viviane Pereira

Sixteen months after winning “TUF 23,” Tatiana Suarez looked like she hadn’t missed a beat, absolutely dominating Viviane Pereira.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Clay Guida dominates Joe Lauzon, calls for meeting with Dana White

In a battle of two veteran brawlers, Clay Guida turned in one of the best performances of his career, battering Joe Lauzon for a quick win.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Clay Guida Demolishes Joe Lauzon with Vicious First Round TKO | MMAWeekly.com

Clay Guida isn't known as a knockout artist but he got a huge TKO against Joe lauzon on Saturday read news >>

Clay Guida Quickly Crushes Joe Lauzon (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Clay Guida's crushing knockout of Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Dustin Poirier and UFC Fight Night 120's other winning fighters?

See who Dustin Poirier should fight next after his victory over Anthony Pettis at UFC Fight Night 120.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 187 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from Bellator 187 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC Fight Night 120 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Watch Tim Means Flatten John Howard (UFC KO of the Week) | MMAWeekly.com

Tim Means faces off against Belal Muhammad in an important welterweight match up at Fight Night Sydney on Saturday, November 18 live on FS1. read news >>