#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #DWTNCS #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo

Fabricio Werdum has his sights firmly fixed on the UFC heavyweight championship following a second-round submission of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in Saturday night’s UFC on Fuel TV 10 headliner.

“I’m very happy, because Nogueira is a legend in this sport. I like him, and he is my good friend, but he punches very hard,” Werdum told Fox Sports following his victory over “Minotauro” at Paulo Sarasate Gymnasium in Fortaleza, Brazil. “I tried to [keep him] on the ground, but he stood up fast. But when I saw the opportunity on the ground, I took the armbar.”

With his 2006 loss to “Minotauro” avenged, Werdum has posted three straight wins since returning to the UFC last year. However, if Werdum is to receive the next title shot, he will have to wait for it, as champion Cain Velasquez is already committed to defend the belt against Junior dos Santos in a forthcoming rubber match.

Werdum, who spent one year on the sidelines in order to shoot “The Ultimate Fighter: Brasil” Season 2 opposite Nogueira, did not appear enthusiastic about the prospect of another long layoff. However, if the price for inactivity is a title shot, Werdum said he is game.

“I’m just waiting, because the next fight is Cain Velasquez versus ‘Cigano.’ If the UFC gave me the opportunity, I would fight for sure,” Werdum said at the post-fight press conference. “I mentioned about doing an ‘Ultimate Fighter’ in Mexico. I’m a commentator for the UFC in Spanish, because I lived for many years in Spain. I don’t know if [Velasquez will] beat Cigano, but I’m going to be there observing both. I already spent a year without fighting because of ‘TUF,’ but if the UFC says wait to fight the champ, then I will wait and train hard.”

Galleries

Fabricio Werdum Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Arjan Bhullar wants to crack long-targeted India market for the UFC

UFC heavyweight Arjan Bhullar already has his sights set on behind the UFC’s first Indian champ after his first octagon win.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson's plan? It still involves Ray Borg – for now

Demetrious Johnson is waiting to see if his manager and the UFC can reschedule a fight with Ray Borg at UFC 216. But he can only wait so long. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 results: Rafael dos Anjos runs through Neil Magny to stake title claim

Former UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos may soon find himself challenging for a welterweight belt following an impressive first-round finish of Neil Magny.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Rafael dos Anjos' submission of Neil Magny at UFC 215

See how Twitter reacted to Rafael dos Anjos’ first-round submission of Neil Magny at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Walks Through Neil Magny (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos moved up to the welterweight division for his last fight after suffering back-to-back losses in the 155-pound division. He defeated Tarec Saffiedine in Ju read news >>

UFC 215 results: Amanda Nunes paces herself over 5, retains belt with spilt over Valentina Shevchenko

After five hard-fought rounds, UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes retained her belt by the narrowest of margins, earning a split-decision win over a game Valentina Shevchenko.Filed under: read news >>

Amanda Nunes Edges Out Valentina Shevchenko by Split Decision in UFC 215 Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes went five rounds for the first time in her career as she edged out No. 1 ranked contender Valentina Shevchenko to earn her second straight title defense as women's bantamweight champion read news >>

Twitter reacts to Amanda Nunes' narrow title defense vs. Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215

Here’s how Twitter reacted to Amanda Nunes’ split-decision title defense against Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Photo: Check out the scorecards from Amanda Nunes' razor-thin UFC 215 win over Valentina Shevchenko

After eight rounds together in a UFC octagon, it’s still incredibly hard to separate UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and a woman who was thus far proven her toughest challenge, Valenti read news >>

Amanda Nunes Beats Valentina Shevchenko by Split Decision at UFC 215

The Amanda Nunes era of women's bantamweight MMA continued at UFC 215 on Saturday. The Lioness defended her belt against bitter rival Valentina Shevchenko, winning by split decision in the main event read news >>