#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Frankie Edgar #Cub Swanson #UFC Fight Night 57 #Corey Anderson #Patrick Cummins #Siyar Bahadurzada #Luan Chagas #Aljamain Sterling #Brett Johns #David Branch #Thiago Santos #Chase Sherman

Ex-UFC champ Lyoto Machida talks pressure, support ahead of big return on home turf

On the lead-up to this month’s UFC Fight Night 119, the main narrative has been around headliner Lyoto Machida and his long-awaited return to competition.

Machida (22-7 MMA, 14-7 UFC), who was issued an 18-month suspension by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency after admitting to taking a banned substance ahead of a scheduled UFC on FOX 19 bout, will end a more than two-year layoff when he meets fellow middleweight Derek Brunson (17-5 MMA, 8-3 UFC) on Oct. 28.

The last time the UFC’s former 205-pound champ and onetime middleweight title challenger was seen in action was in June 2015, when a knockout loss to Yoel Romero added to a two-fight skid.

Neither the time away nor the consecutive losses, however, seem to have diminished Machida’s prestige – at least not in Brazil. After all, not only does he get to come back as a headliner, he gets to do it in his native country, at Sao Paulo’s Ibirapuera Gymnasium.

When it comes to such a high-stakes comeback, does being at home make the situation easier – or does it only add more pressure?

“Both,” Machida told MMAjunkie Radio. “There is a lot of pressure, of course, because I’m going to fight in my country. But on the other hand, I have a lot of support. I can feel that through social media and through interviews that I’ve been doing.

“I can feel that I have a lot of support in Brazil. At the same time, a lot of pressure, but I have to handle that, just do my best and just keep my focus on what I have to do there.”

At 39, Machida has seen his share of action throughout a decade-long UFC run that started on an eight-fight winning streak – including a huge title win over Rashad Evans and a historic, closely contested defense over Mauricio Rua. He’s retired a legend in Randy Couture, tried his hand against Jon Jones and challenged for titles three times, in two separate weight divisions.

Amid his lengthy record, the karate-based Machida can point to quite a few wrestlers, as well. And, given the outcomes against the likes of Couture, Ryan Bader, Mark Munoz and Dan Henderson, it’s safe to say he’s not exactly unequipped to deal with the dangers they present.

That will certainly come in handy against the 33-year-old Brunson, who also comes from a wrestling background. But, considering the five first-round knockouts that Brunson carries on his octagon record, Machida is probably wise in not reducing his opponent to a “wrestler” label.

“He’s a complete fighter,” Machida said. “He’s well-rounded. He drops people with hands, too. Of course, his background is in wrestling. But, with the camp that I’ve been doing here, I believe that I can stop his takedowns.

“And my background is in karate, and (as a) standup fighter, so I believe I can stop Derek Brunson and bring this victory to my team and my country.”

That doesn’t mean Machida is sleeping on Brunson’s wrestling. But, other than his experience, the former UFC champion is confident in the work he put in to handle it, with the guidance of wrestling coach Eric Albarracin and even former opponent Munoz.

Other than the fight-specific preparation, which Machida says was mostly conducted at Rafael Cordeiro’s Kings MMA, he’s had quite some time to make tweaks in his game. Which is why “The Dragon” tries not to view his somewhat harsh suspension as entirely bad.

“I used this break to put some different tools, and I incorporated different techniques,” Machida said. “Improved a little bit more, evolved a little more my overall style, My karate and my standup fighting.”

Even for the experienced Machida, the return after such a long gap feels like a beginning of sorts.

“But I know as soon as I step in the octagon, I’ll realize that I already did this before,” Machida said.

For more on UFC Fight Night 119, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Galleries

Lyoto Machida Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Watch ex-UFC champ Ronda Rousey tear down the house at WrestleMania 34

The Ronda Rousey Era officially is underway in the WWE. read news >>

Ronda Rousey: 'I don't need anyone else's approval to be proud of myself'

Former UFC champ Ronda Rousey reveals the time where she was looking for an “honorable way out” of her UFC career, and why she’s still proud of her accomplishments. read news >>

Frankie Edgar set to join B.J. Penn as UFC rematch record holder

When Frankie Edgar’s UFC Fight Night 128 bout with Cub Swanson rolls around, he’ll have as much rematch experience as anyone in UFC history. read news >>

Who's the best UFC champ in history: Demetrious Johnson or Georges St-Pierre? See the results of your vote

Our 32-fighter tournament picking the best champions in UFC history is in the books, and you’ve voted for the top titleholder of all time. 1 2 3 4 5 …6 read news >>

UFC Champ Max Holloway Needs to Cut an Unhealthy Amount of Weight…in 6 Days

Max Holloway earned respect from MMA fans for having the moxy to accept a UFC 223 fight against lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagomedov on short notice after Tony Ferguson withdrew ... read news >>

Unfiltered: Dana White Talks UFC 223 and Brian Ortega Joins In-Studio

UFC President Dana White joins the show and discusses UFC 223: Khabib vs. Holloway, Tony Ferguson's injury, Conor McGregor & more. Also, #1 UFC Featherweight Brian Ortega joins Jim and Matt in-studio read news >>

UFC Champ Conor McGregor Storms UFC 223 Presser, Wreaks Havoc Backstage

Pre-event UFC media days are typically humdrum, with most fighters too drained from their weight cut to really talk and little to no drama to be had. Every once in a while, though, something interest read news >>

Conor McGregor Charged with Assault Following UFC 223 Bus Attack Incident

While Conor McGregor wasn't set to compete on Saturday night's UFC 223 event, the lightweight champion became the star of the show on Thursday after a violent incident outside a pre-fight media e read news >>

UFC champ Conor McGregor charged with multiple assault counts, one count of criminal mischief

Conor McGregor has been charged with multiple counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief for his involvement in a bus attack. read news >>

For UFC champ Rose Namajunas, serenity over hate

“To me, fighting for love and goodness and the positive things in life is more powerful than fighting with hate in your heart.” read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Leon Edwards official for UFC Fight Night 132 in Asia

It’s official: Donald Cerrone and Leon Edwards are set to headline the UFC’s return to Asia. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Becomes UFC Champ, Not with a Bang but with a Whimper

After the wildest week in UFC history, it felt good to regain some sense of normalcy. Khabib Nurmagomedov beat Al Iaquinta in the main event of UFC 223 . He's the new UFC lightweight champion.. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov to Conor McGregor after UFC 223 win: 'Beg me' for title shot

New UFC champ Khabib Nurmagomedov is ready to fight Conor McGregor, but “The Notorious” must fulfill one request first. read news >>

MMA community reacts to Ronda Rousey's in-ring debut at WrestleMania 34

Former UFC champ Ronda Rousey made her professional wrestling in-ring debut at WrestleMania 34. See how the MMA community reacted to it. read news >>

Nick Diaz Hints at Return to UFC Ahead of Reinstatement

Nick Diaz is set to be reinstated from his suspension later this month, and the MMA star and former Strikeforce welterweight champion hinted at a return to the UFC in an Instagram post... read news >>

Opening odds: New UFC champ Khabib Nurmagomedov favored over Conor McGregor (and Tony Ferguson)

Whether you’re looking at the rankings or the opening odds, one thing seems clear: new UFC champ Khabib Nurmagomedov is the new king of lightweights. read news >>

Upcoming Fights