#UFC Fight Night 128 #Corey Anderson #Patrick Cummins #UFC on Fox 29 #Kevin Lee #Siyar Bahadurzada #Luan Chagas #Dustin Poirier #Conor McGregor #Edson Barboza #Jon Jones #Ryan LaFlare #Justin Gaethje #Alex Garcia

Did Amanda Nunes Just Kill Off the Cris Cyborg Fight? | MMAWeekly.com

After months of callouts and prodding, UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes now appears to be putting the brakes on a proposed bout with featherweight titleholder Cris Cyborg.

While a champion vs. champion superfight between Nunes and Cyborg seemed to be all but a done deal following Cyborg’s recent victory over Yana Kunitskaya at UFC 222, the bout is quickly fading into obscurity.

Nunes had been calling for the bout for months. Cyborg was initially reluctant for the Brazilian vs. Brazilian match-up, but said she was open to it because Nunes called her out. UFC president Dana White has long been a supporter of the fight, even saying it was the next fight to make after Cyborg’s UFC 222 victory

Cyborg didn’t want to fight Nunes in the UFC 224 main event in May in Brazil, saying it was too soon after having fought three times over the past seven months, but she was hopeful they could make the match-up as part of the UFC 226 fight card during International Fight Week in July.

While that timeline would seem to be a little tight, but workable if Nunes emerges unscathed from her title defense against Raquel Pennington at UFC 224, the bantamweight queen now appears to be the one pulling away from the fight.

Amanda Nunes Now Has Bantamweight Business Before Cris Cyborg

Cris Cyborg and Amanda Nunes“When I texted Dana White that I wanted the fight (with Cyborg), it was because I didn’t have nobody in my division. I didn’t even know if I was gonna fight soon,” Nunes said on a recent edition of the UFC “Unfiltered” podcast. “I was concerned with waiting years because I’ve been in that position before, waiting so long for a fight, and I don’t want to do it again. I don’t want to stay here waiting, waiting, waiting.

“But now, we have Rocky (Pennington) and we have the Brazilian, Ketlen (Vieira), and I feel like my division is starting to grow. If you give attention, the division’s gonna be awesome and now I have two. I have Rocky and I have Ketlen. Rocky is my next step and I want to see Ketlen after, for sure.”

Though Vieiera could wait until after a fight with Cyborg, as Nunes would have to move up to 145 pounds for a fight with Cyborg to happen and would retain her bantamweight belt win or lose, Nunes seemed to indicate that her preference is to fight Pennington and then face Vieira in her next defense, if she is successful at UFC 224.

Ronda Rousey Essentially Closes the Door on UFC Return

“I think she’s deserving, after this fight against Rocky,” Nunes said. “She beat the girl that beat me. I think she’s ready and I’m excited to fight her.”

Amanda Nunes Tired of Protracted Contract Negotiations

Aside from feeling that her division now has legitimate contenders, Nunes also doesn’t want to deal with what she thinks would be protracted negotiations for a superfight with Cyborg, although protracted negotiations are often reflective of the importance of the fight and the more significant amount of money involved.

“Have a lot of things involved in (a fight with Cyborg),” Nunes said. “Having the contract for her, for me, it has to make sense for both of us, so we can do this. It’s nothing personal against Cyborg. I know she’s Brazilian. She talks about because we’re Brazilian we’re not supposed to fight. When you become a professional fighter, to become the best, you want to beat the best.

“It’s nothing personal, but I feel like there’s a lot of things involved in that (fight) and I don’t want to wait for that. I want to keep fighting, I don’t want to wait to negotiate anything. Right now, my division has a new contender and I’m excited for that. Whatever happens after that, we’ll see.”

Galleries

Cris Cyborg Fights

• a year ago

Amanda Nunes Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Amanda Nunes and Raquel Pennington Put Friendship Aside for UFC 224 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

UFC women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and her UFC 224 challenger Raquel Pennington are friends, but that isn't going to get in the way of their goals. read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko Shows Off Her 'Full of Bruises Elbow' | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchenko is nearly two months removed from her UFC Fight Night 125 victory over Priscila Cachoeira in Brazil, but she is still feeling the after effects. read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw vs. Cody Garbrandt 2 Expected at UFC 227 in Los Angeles | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw is expected to face former teammate Cody Garbrandt in a rematch at UFC 227 currently slated for Aug. 4 in Los Angeles. Sources close to the fight confirmed the re read news >>

Joe Rogan Rips the Win Bonus System in MMA That is 'Stealing' Money from Fighters | MMAWeekly.com

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan is fed up with fighters losing half their money based on a potentially disastrous decision from a judge. In the UFC and virtually every other mixed martial arts promot read news >>

Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson vs. Darren Till in the Works as UFC Liverpool Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

The first ever UFC event in Liverpool appears to have its main event. Local favorite Darren Till was already announced as one half of the headliner for that card and now it looks like he'll face form read news >>

Joe Rogan & Jimmy Smith Preview UFC 223: Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov | MMAWeekly.com

UFC commentators Joe Rogan and Jimmy Smith preview the highly anticipated UFC 223 lightweight championship bout between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov. read news >>

Kamaru Usman Expected to Face Santiago Ponzinibbio in UFC Chile Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

The upcoming UFC card in Chile has a main event. Former "Ultimate Fighter" winner Kamaru Usman will travel to South America for his first headline fight against Santiago Ponzinibbio in a showdown at read news >>

Lance Armstrong's - Sometimes Uncomfortable - Interview of Former UFC Fighter Tim Kennedy | MMAWeekly.com

Former professional cyclist Lance Armstrong knows Tim Kennedy well, but recently had an, at times, uncomfortable conversation with him on his "The Forward" podcast. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Believes Floyd Mayweather Will Be Able to Handle Anyone in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley laid out a timeline to begin training Floyd Mayweather for his MMA debut, adding that he thinks the boxer will be able to handle anyone in the UFC. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk: UFC 223 Fighting Spirit | MMAWeekly.com

Former strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk discusses her fighting spirit ahead of her highly anticipated rematch with Rose Namajunas at UFC 223 on April 7. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Explains Floyd Mayweather's Route to UFC Success | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley recently spoke at length about how he could prepare Floyd Mayweather for a successful trip to the UFC Octagon. read news >>

Watch Tony Ferguson and Rafael Dos Anjos Go to War (UFC 223 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

On Nov. 5, 2016, former UFC lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos faced Tony Ferguson in the main event of The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale in Mexico City. read news >>

Michael Chiesa Fires Back at Critics of Ronda Rousey After She Left the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Chiesa fully supports Ronda Rousey's decision to change career as she leaves the UFC and embarks on a new journey as part of World Wrestling Entertainment. In fact, Chiesa was ringside the ni read news >>

Rose Namajunas: Exclusive UFC 223 Extended Video Interview | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of her UFC 223 rematch with Joanna Jedrzejczyk, UFC strawweight champion Rose Namajunas sat down for an extended, exclusive interview with MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Ronda Rousey on Floyd Mayweather Crossing Over to UFC: 'That Will Never Happen' | MMAWeekly.com

For all the talk about Floyd Mayweather crossing over into mixed martial arts, former UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey isn't buying it. Rousey, who has a long history engaging in a war read news >>

UFC Returns to Hamburg, Germany on July 22 | MMAWeekly.com

For the second time, the UFC octagon will travel to Hamburg, Germany. UFC officials announced on Tuesday that the fight promotion will return to Hamburg on Sunday, July 22 for a Fight Night event. UF read news >>

Upcoming Fights