#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jan Blachowicz #Jimi Manuwa #Terrion Ware #Tom Duquesnoy #Leon Edwards #Peter Sobotta #Paul Craig #Magomed Ankalaev #Charles Byrd #John Phillips #Danny Henry #Hakeem Dawodu

Darren Till's simple plan? Be the 'greatest fighter that ever fought in MMA'

GDANSK, Poland – When you ask fighters how they feel on the cusp of potentially career-defining moments, there’s one particular descriptor that seems downright inescapable: excited.

But as Darren Till (15-0-1 MMA, 3-0-1 UFC) prepares to headline his first UFC card, against WEC and octagon vet Donald Cerrone (32-9 MMA, 19-6 UFC), that’s not the word that he would use.

“I’m not excited,” Till told MMAjunkie ahead of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 118 event. “I’m not getting into my emotions right now. I’ve been saying this for the past few weeks: I just live in the moment. I’m seeing my face on the poster, but it hasn’t hit me yet. That that is me and that I’m fighting Cerrone.

“I’m just living every moment. I’m not taking anything for granted because opportunities like these only come around every so often, especially after I only got four fights in the UFC. It takes guys 10 fight-plus to get main events. So I’m honored. I really am.”

UFC Fight Night 118 takes place at Ergo Arena in Gdansk, Poland, and the entire card streams on UFC Fight Pass.

Till’s unique choice of words falls right in line with his UFC trajectory. As the welterweight himself pointed out, it’s not common for a fighter to earn such a big opportunity after an exciting, but timid four-fight UFC run – especially with a draw among those results.

Not only that: Despite being unbeaten, Till came out of relative obscurity to debut in the UFC – which he did as an underdog, back in 2015. But the charismatic Liverpool native, who’d had all of his previous pro MMA bouts in his temporary home of Brazil, seems to have a knack for making the opportunities count.

After taking a decision over Bojan Velickovic in a UFC Fight Night 115 barnburner in September, Till’s poise on the mic also stood out. And then the striking specialist famously turned a bar chat with matchmaker Sean Shelby into his biggest career opportunity yet.

Till hasn’t exactly been shy about his high aspirations. He’s not in this simply to build a career and, hopefully, make some money in the process. In fact, he’s not even in this to simply be a UFC champion.

“I want to be remembered as the greatest fighter that ever fought in MMA,” Till said.

But even with all of his ambition and remarkable self-confidence, Till carries some self-awareness with him. Which is why he took no ounce of offense when “Cowboy” Cerrone talked about not knowing who he was before agreeing to the welterweight scrap.

“Why should he know who I am? He’s got no reason to,” Till said. “Everyone thinks that I took disrespect to that. No, I didn’t. The guy has got no right in knowing who I am. Obviously, he knows who I am now.”

In fact, when it comes to Cerrone, the 24-year-old Till holds no grudges or no ill ill. The two, the Brit said, have run into each other in the hotel lobby a few times already and have exchanged nothing but friendly nods in a week that’s all about “good vibes.”

That is, until it isn’t.

“I came up watching him when he was fighting in the WEC (and) all of his UFC fights,” Till said. “I’m a fan. But I am still going to knock him out on Saturday. I respect him. After the fight he can have a Budweiser with me. But I will go in there to knock him straight out. That’s what I will do.”

Till, who’s clearly not one for modest plans, sees himself going on to be one of MMA’s biggest game-changers – joining the likes of former 205-pound champ Chuck Liddell, ex-middleweight-kingpin Anderson Silva and current lightweight titleholder Conor McGregor.

Saturday’s headliner, Till said, will be his “historic” moment, the one that reveals all of his greatness to the world. But even his grandiose plans are grounded in reality. While he fully expects a title shot to come some time in the future, he disagrees with those who think that a win over Cerrone could get him there already.

“I don’t want a title after this fight,” Till said. “I don’t believe I’ve earned that fight. I will never disrespect the champion that way. I want to (expletive) that champion up anyway. But I’m not going to disrespect that guy. That guy has racked years and years to get where he is now.

“And I just beat Cerrone, and it’s like, the guy thinks he deserves a title shot? No. I’ve got a good head on me. And I know after Cerrone I need to beat maybe one or two more people until I get that title.”

Upon getting those top-10 foes that should get him in line for the belt, though, Till has very little doubt as to what would happen.

“There’s no one in there that can beat me,” Till said. “They’re all bums.”

In fact, why stop at the top 10 of his own division?

“I am just the best fighter out there,” Till said. “There’s not a guy who’s better than me, on my level. In my mind, there’s not a guy who can beat me. I really truly believe that when I say it. Guys, they come out to say they’re the best and this and that. You can see, when they say it, they don’t believe it.

“When I say something, I believe it totally. I don’t look at someone – I don’t look at (170-pound champion Tyron) Woodley. I don’t even look at light heavyweights that are better than me. I believe I’m better than every single one of them.”

To hear more from Till, check out the video above.

And for more on UFC Fight Night 118, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Darren Till Fights

• 4 months ago

Bellator: Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton Jackson 4 in the works

Bellator plans to reboot one of the most famous rivalries in MMA history for its first event in Brazil. read news >>

Darren Till Will Headline First Ever UFC Event in Liverpool, England | MMAWeekly.com

Darren Till is going home. On Friday, the UFC announced plans for a card in Liverpool, England on May 27 with Till competing in the main event in his hometown. As of now, there's still no word on Til read news >>

Tyron Woodley Continues to Lay Out a Plan for Floyd Mayweather's MMA Training | MMAWeekly.com

Even though Floyd Mayweather himself once wrote off his mixed martial arts chatter as bluster, the situation has heated up recently with Mayweather and UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley talking read news >>

Fabian Edwards says BAMMA fighters 'running scared,' plans to join brother Leon in UFC

Fabian Edwards has aspirations of joining his brother, Leon Edwards, in the UFC. If things go accordingly, it could happen within 12 months. read news >>

Darren Till: 'In 200 Years, They're Gonna Remember My Name in Liverpool' | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC on Friday announced is forthcoming arrival in Liverpool, England. The event's headliner, Darren Till, was quick to lay claim to the event as his own. read news >>

Darren Till on manifesting UFC-Liverpool headliner, not wanting to follow Colby Covington

Surging UFC welterweight Darren Till doesn’t want a shortcut like Colby Covington. He wants to clear out the division before a title shot. read news >>

Dana White Still Targeting Late Summer Return for Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor still hasn't said when exactly he plans to return to the UFC but Dana White seems to believe he will be back before the year is over. The UFC president recently spoke to the BBC where read news >>

UFC Fight Night 127 results: Leon Edwards earns last-second win over Peter Sobotta, calls out Darren Till

• a day ago

After battling back and forth for nearly a full three rounds, Leon Edwards took home a last-second TKO win over a game Peter Sobotta. read news >>

Darren Till cuts killer promo for UFC-Liverpool, somehow makes Phil Collins' music seem ominous

• a day ago

Darren Till has been waiting for this moment all his life – oh Lord. read news >>

Leon Edwards Gets TKO Stoppage, Calls Out Darren Till (UFC London Results & Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Check out highlights from Leon Edwards' last-second TKO stoppage of Peter Sobotta at UFC Fight Night 127 on Saturday in London. Following the fight, Edwards called out fellow Brit Darren Till. read news >>

Darren Till isn't 'second coming of God,' and Leon Edwards wants chance to prove it

• a day ago

Leon Edwards is not buying into the hype around UFC welterweight contender Darren Till, and he wants to prove it inside the octagon. read news >>

Gegard Mousasi Wants Middleweight Title and Then He's Targeting Rory MacDonald Super Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Gegard Mousasi is a man with a plan. The top ranked 185-pound contender will battle for the middleweight championship at Bellator 200 in May where he faces incumbent champion Rafael Carvalho in his s read news >>

Jared Vanderaa Plans to Get First of at Least Four Wins in 2018 at LFA 35 | MMAWeekly.com

Following a disappointing 2017, Jared Vanderaa is aiming to get a quick win at LFA 35 to kickstart at least four wins in 2018. read news >>

UFC Connected: The UK MMA Scene Featuring Darren Till | MMAWeekly.com

With the Octagon returning to London in March 2018 UK MMA is in the spotlight once again. In this episode the focus is on the sports history in England. read news >>

Watch vintage Tony Ferguson knock out Katsunori Kikuno at front end of 10-fight UFC streak

Before he takes on Khabib Nurmagomedov in the UFC 223 main event, watch the one Tony Ferguson KO in his 10-fight winning streak. read news >>

Rory MacDonald responds to Gegard Mousasi, still plans move to middleweight after title defense

Before Rory MacDonald moves up a division, there’s something the Bellator welterweight champ wants accomplish first. read news >>

Search for: