That said, White said a Pettis claim that he could be back in three weeks is premature and he wants the fighter checked out by one of the UFC’s doctors for second opinion.
Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) was scheduled to fight UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) at UFC 163 on Aug. 3 – despite being the top contender at lightweight. But on Thursday, White announced the fighter’s injury and announced “The Korean Zombie,” Chan Sung Jung (13-3 MMA, 3-0 UFC) will replace him in Rio de Janeiro instead of fighting Ricardo Lamas (13-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC) at UFC 162 next month.
“It’s not bad,” White told MMAjunkie.com after Saturday’s UFC 161 card in Winnipeg. “Anthony Pettis’ knee is not bad, but it’s not good. He doesn’t require surgery, but he’s going to have to go into therapy.”
However, White said Pettis’ claims about being back quicker might not matter.
“Anthony Pettis came today and was telling Ariel (Helwani) he’s going to be ready by the end of August, which is not true,” White said. “He talked to a doctor, and the doctor said he’s out for a good six weeks and he needs a good (physical) therapist and he needs to get his knee back. That’s what a doctor said. He talked to a therapist in Milwaukee who told him three weeks. I could give a s–t what the therapist in Milwaukee thinks – I’m listening to the doctor. And I’m going to fly him out to Las Vegas to see Dr. (Steven) Saunders, too, for a second opinion.”
White on Thursday told reporters that he was looking forward to the Aldo-Pettis fight. And it appears to be a fight he’d like to keep as a possibility.
But he said Pettis remains possible to fight the August winner of lightweight champ Benson Henderson vs. T.J. Grant, as well. Those two meet in the main event of UFC 164 – in Pettis’ home city of Milwaukee. Pettis became the top lightweight contender in January with a win over Donald Cerrone. But he said a week later after Aldo’s win over Frankie Edgar that he wanted to drop to featherweight to challenge Aldo.
“I’m in no hurry,” White said. “Nobody’s more bummed out about the Pettis (vs. Aldo) fight than me – I was talking to you guys about it Thursday. But I’m not going to put Pettis in there in three and a half weeks when it should take six weeks for his knee to heal.
“He’s definitely in line (still at featherweight), but we’ll see what happens. He could do either – he could fight Aldo or he could fight the winner of (Henderson) and T.J. Grant.”
(Pictured: Anthony Pettis)view original article >>
With UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping still not recovered from a knee injury, UFC officials are considering an interim middleweight title fight. read news >>
Despite Cody Garbrandt's doubts about his back injury, UFC president Dana White on Friday declared that his fight with TJ Dillashaw was not being canceled. read news >>
UFC president Dana White recently sat down to give some insight into what his life was like growing up. read news >>
The UFC sold this past July for about $4 billion, or $3.775 billion and a quarter-billion in earn-outs, if you want to get technical. But when the promotion's former owners were considering which buy read news >>
What's more surprising than the UFC having been purchased for $4.2 billion? How about the idea that there were two higher bidders that were shot down? read news >>
Everyone’s got a fight story. Even UFC President Dana White has his share. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White doesn't "even think about the money" he's made from the UFC's rise and recent sale, according to what he said in a recent interview. But while multimillionaires might have th read news >>
Photo by ?Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports? Last year when Zuffa, LLC sold the UFC to Hollywood mega-talent agency WME|IMG for $4 billion—$3,998,000,000 more than Zuffa had paid for it just 15 years earli read news >>
You might not know Benson Henderson has been operating under less-than-ideal conditions for the entirety of his three-fight Bellator career.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>
When UFC was sold in July 2016 to WME-IMG for a staggering $4.2 billion, longtime president Dana White inked a five-year deal to remain with the fight company. read news >>