#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #UFC Fight Night 57 #Derrick Lewis #Marcin Tybura #Sage Northcutt #Thiago Alves #Curtis Millender #Bellator 194

Chuck Liddell Gained Motivation Again On Ultimate Expedition | MMAWeekly.com

It’s been seven years since former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell last fought inside the Octagon. He hung up his gloves and put away his trademark icicle trunks and entered the unfamiliar world of retirement.

With fighting behind him, “The Iceman” felt lost. “It’s hard to explain,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “When you spend 40 years having something scheduled, a football game, a wrestling match, a baseball game, a training camp, a fight, I was a little lost. I needed motivation and it was good to have that motivation back again. It was good having a goal.”

Liddell found that motivation again when presented with the opportunity to appear on the Youtube Red original series “Ultimate Expedition.” The show, which premiered on Wednesday, brought together eight celebrities with no previous climbing experience to summit the 20,000-foot Mount Tocllaraju in Peru.

“My manager called me with the opportunity and I needed a little kick in the ass to get back in shape, so I said sure, let’s do it,” he said.

Arriving in Peru, the elevation was felt immediately. The lack of oxygen had cast members, including Liddell, getting winded doing basic activities.

“I thought I was going to be able to get in shape before I went, but I only had two weeks,” he said. . “Going up the steps with your luggage and getting winded going to the second floor, I was like, wow.”

With no previous climbing experience, each cast member accepted the challenge, but was on a separate journey. Some wanted to prove they could do it. Others wanted the adventure. For Liddell, it was about setting an example for his children.

His daughter, Guinevere, was born in 2011, and his son, Charles Jr., was born in 2013. They didn’t see their father rise up the ranks of the 205-pound division and become a UFC world champion.

“I wanted to do it so my kids could see me accomplishing the goal, working hard. I was a world champion, but they didn’t get to see that. I wanted them to see me that way,” he said.

Base camp for the expedition was over 14,000 feet. At the time, that was the highest elevation Liddell had ever experienced.  He had to learn survival techniques, as well as how to climb in treacherous conditions.  Mostly, he had to learn to pace himself.

“Mountain climbing isn’t a sprint.  It’s a marathon.  I had to learn to slow down.  When facing a challenge, I would always just push through.  The biggest thing was to just slow down and pace myself,” he said.

Ultimate Expedition was exactly what Liddell needed to have a goal again.  To be motivated and feel a little bit like his younger self.

“It was a good experience. It gave me that motivation back. I needed that,” he said. “The Iceman is definitely back.”

Comments

Ronda Rousey Officially Joins WWE, Makes First Appearance at Royal Rumble | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC champion Ronda Rousey has officially transitioned to the WWE read news >>

UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell joins 'Celebrity Big Brother' cast

Former UFC champion Chuck Liddell is doing some more reality TV. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's WWE Royal Rumble Appearance Juices Social Media Explosion | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC champion Ronda Rousey finally made her WWE debut as a full-time performer... and it set social media alight! read news >>

Ronda Rousey Books Next WWE Appearance at 'Elimination Chamber' in Las Vegas | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC champion Ronda Rousey has booked her next appearance in WWE and she will be in familiar stomping ground as she is scheduled to show up at the 'Elimination Chamber' event in Las Vegas. read news >>

Rashad Evans Advises Tyron Woodley Not to Waste His Career Fighting Dana White | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC light heavyweight champ Rashad Evans can relate to welterweight champ Tyron Woodley's back and forth with Dana White, but he has some advice for Woodley. read news >>

Sage Northcutt Plans to be Youngest UFC Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Before Sage Northcutt enters the Octagon at UFC Austin on Sunday, hear his thoughts about fighting in his home state. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Ronda Rousey's WWE debut at the Royal Rumble

See the top Twitter reactions to former UFC champion Ronda Rousey’s WWE signing and Royal Rumble debut. read news >>

Frankie Edgar Got Brain Scan After Gray Maynard Fight, Believes MMA is Safer Than Football and Boxing | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, who has had his brain scanned, believes MMA is safer than most other contact sports. read news >>

Eddie Alvarez Thinks UFC is Timing the Stripping of Conor McGregor for Maximum Effect | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez believes Conor McGregor will be stripped of his title at the optimum time for maximum effect. read news >>

Michael Bisping Not Fighting at UFC London; Is He Done? | MMAWeekly.com

Despite all the rumors swirling around Michael Bisping, the former UFC middleweight champion says he is not fighting at UFC London. read news >>