#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Nick Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Quinton Jackson #Pancrase #Demetrious Johnson #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva

soa-palelei-ufc-fight-night-33

BRISBANE, Australia – It’s going to be a good Christmas this year for UFC heavyweight Soa Palelei and his family.

Just prior to his showing at UFC Fight Night 33 against Pat Barry (8-7 MMA, 5-7 UFC), the native Aussie got some extra incentive to perform well.

“I got a message from my daughter this morning,” Palelei (20-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) said following the event, which took place at Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Australia and aired on FOX Sports 1. “She wanted some Christmas presents. I was like, ‘Damn, I’ve got to win!’

“But it is a big win, and especially against Pat. But I’m happy to be representing Australia, and putting Australia and Perth on the map.”

Family and country weren’t the only things providing motivation. In his previous octagon outing, he injured his rib prior to the fight and limped through three rounds with Nikita Krylov. He managed a finish, but UFC President Dana White wasn’t shy in expressing how bored he was in watching it.

Because the bout came six years after a lackluster loss in a single UFC appearance, Palelei wanted a third chance to make a first impression.

Thankfully, he did just that. After quickly taking Barry to the ground in the first frame, he quickly took mount and let his hands go. Several punches later, Barry was unconscious, and he was the owner of an impressive win.

The speed at which Palelei advanced position and did damage was a key in his victory.

“I’ve been doing it for the past 16 years,” Palelei said. “I’m a first-degree Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt. I’m really confident that if I get on top of you, you ain’t getting me off.”

Although he didn’t test out his thought, Palelei also felt confident he could hang if the fight stayed on its feet. As a sparring partner of the event’s headliner, Mark Hunt, he knew that he could take a punch.

“I know what his punches are like, and I knew Pat wouldn’t hit harder than Mark,” he said. “But I had to watch out for Pat’s kicks, because he’s got some real dangerous kicks.”

Like most fighters, Palelei differed to his management and the UFC to name his next opponent. But six-year gaps in his UFC record are a thing of the past.

“If the UFC tells me to fight another show, I’m happy to hop in there,” he said. “I’ll take a few weeks for Christmas break, but I’m ready.”

Although Palelei is 36 and has a limited amount of time to make an impact, his cause is aided by the heavyweight division’s relative lack of depth.

While Barry likely faces question about his viability, Palelei is proving his.

“I respect Pat as an athlete and a sportsman,” Palelei said. “He’s a really dangerous fighter. I was really worried about his kicks, but I played my game and hopefully, I made a statement today.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-in results and live video stream (6 a.m. ET)

Check out the results and live video stream for the UFC Fight Night 117 early and official weigh-ins.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White clowns anyone who thinks Gokhan Saki's UFC debut win was stopped early

Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216 results: Beneil Dariush strong early, but Evan Dunham rallies to force majority draw

Evan Dunham rallied in the second and third rounds after a rough first to force a majority draw against Beneil Dariush.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 Title Fight in Jeopardy, One More Fight Cancelled At Early Weigh-Ins | MMAWeekly.com

LAS VEGAS — The main event title fight at UFC 216 is in jeopardy following the early-weigh-ins from Las Vegas. Main event fighter Kevin Lee waited until the deadline at 11 a.m. local time to step on read news >>

UFC 216 early weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)

MMAjunkie is reporting live from the early and official UFC 216 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at noon ET (9 a.m. PT local time).Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 216 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 8 p.m. ET

Catch a live video stream of the UFC 216 ceremonial weigh-ins from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch today's UFC 217 press conference with Bisping, GSP, others at 6:30 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – Check out a live stream of today’s UFC 217 press conference, which includes all six title-fight participants, live here on MMAjunkie at 6:30 p.m. ET (3:30 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee at UFC 216

Check out UFC analysts Dan Hardy and John Gooden with their breakdown of the UFC 216 main event between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg at UFC 216

Check out UFC analysts Dan Hardy and John Gooden with their breakdown of the UFC 216 co-main event between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

10 reasons to watch UFC 216, including Demetrious Johnson’s 1,841-day title reign

On the fence about UFC 216? Here are 10 reasons to tune into the pay-per-view event, which features a pair of title fights.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>