soa-palelei-ufc-fight-night-33

BRISBANE, Australia – It’s going to be a good Christmas this year for UFC heavyweight Soa Palelei and his family.

Just prior to his showing at UFC Fight Night 33 against Pat Barry (8-7 MMA, 5-7 UFC), the native Aussie got some extra incentive to perform well.

“I got a message from my daughter this morning,” Palelei (20-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) said following the event, which took place at Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Australia and aired on FOX Sports 1. “She wanted some Christmas presents. I was like, ‘Damn, I’ve got to win!’

“But it is a big win, and especially against Pat. But I’m happy to be representing Australia, and putting Australia and Perth on the map.”

Family and country weren’t the only things providing motivation. In his previous octagon outing, he injured his rib prior to the fight and limped through three rounds with Nikita Krylov. He managed a finish, but UFC President Dana White wasn’t shy in expressing how bored he was in watching it.

Because the bout came six years after a lackluster loss in a single UFC appearance, Palelei wanted a third chance to make a first impression.

Thankfully, he did just that. After quickly taking Barry to the ground in the first frame, he quickly took mount and let his hands go. Several punches later, Barry was unconscious, and he was the owner of an impressive win.

The speed at which Palelei advanced position and did damage was a key in his victory.

“I’ve been doing it for the past 16 years,” Palelei said. “I’m a first-degree Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt. I’m really confident that if I get on top of you, you ain’t getting me off.”

Although he didn’t test out his thought, Palelei also felt confident he could hang if the fight stayed on its feet. As a sparring partner of the event’s headliner, Mark Hunt, he knew that he could take a punch.

“I know what his punches are like, and I knew Pat wouldn’t hit harder than Mark,” he said. “But I had to watch out for Pat’s kicks, because he’s got some real dangerous kicks.”

Like most fighters, Palelei differed to his management and the UFC to name his next opponent. But six-year gaps in his UFC record are a thing of the past.

“If the UFC tells me to fight another show, I’m happy to hop in there,” he said. “I’ll take a few weeks for Christmas break, but I’m ready.”

Although Palelei is 36 and has a limited amount of time to make an impact, his cause is aided by the heavyweight division’s relative lack of depth.

While Barry likely faces question about his viability, Palelei is proving his.

“I respect Pat as an athlete and a sportsman,” Palelei said. “He’s a really dangerous fighter. I was really worried about his kicks, but I played my game and hopefully, I made a statement today.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

UFC Fight Night 104 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 early weigh-in results and live video stream (8 a.m. ET)

HALIFAX – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Saturday’s early and official UFC Fight Night 105 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 8 a.m. ET (5 a.m. PT, 9 a.m. AST local time).Filed under read news >>

UFC 208 results: Ryan LaFlare dominates early, cruises to decision over Roan Carneiro

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Ryan LaFlare used constant pressure and a stiff left hand to outwork and outpoint Roan Carneiro in a fight that got suddenly competitive in the final minute.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Thiago Santos: UFC Fight Night 105 stoppage wasn't early, came 'perfectly at the right time'

HALIFAX – Thiago Santos said he doesn’t understand those labeling his UFC Fight Night 105 win over Jack Marshman as an early stoppage.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 208 early weigh-in results: Inaugural title fight set with Holm, de Randamie under championship weight

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie was on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, where the promotion’s inaugural women’s featherweight title fight was made offici read news >>

UFC 208 early weigh-in results and live video stream (9 a.m. ET)

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 9 a.m. ET (6 a.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 9 a.m. ET (6 a.m. PT).Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Videos, photo gallery: UFC 208 fighters, including Holm-de Randamie and Silva-Brunson, hit the scale

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – The official weigh-ins are complete for the UFC’s first pay-per-view event of 2017. Check out the highlights.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Marcin Tybura on canceled UFC 208 fight: 'There's no one to blame for that'

Marcin Tybura lived up to his end of the bargain to fight at UFC 208. He went through a training camp, agreed to a late-notice opponent switch and successfully made weight. Then he was pulled from Sa read news >>

10 reasons to watch UFC 208, including a curious title fight and an MMA GOAT

The UFC is in Brooklyn on Saturday for UFC 208, its third event in New York in less than three months, and at the top of the card is a compelling, but curious title fight. It’s one big reason to tune read news >>