#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Fight Night Rotterdam #Michael Bisping #Darren Till #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva

Chris Weidman UFC Champion-478x270A lot of people picked Chris Weidman to defeat Anderson Silva at UFC 162 on July 6, including several fighters, but no one predicted it would end the way it did.

Weidman did what he said he was going to do and took the fight to Silva.  He pressured the former champion.  Early in the second round, Weidman landed a left hand that ended Silva’s title reign and set up one of the most anticipated rematches in UFC history.

The two will do it again on Dec. 28 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and it’s important to Weidman that he finishes Silva again to prove it was no fluke the first time.

“Very important.  I want to go out there and shine.  Obviously, there’s been a lot of doubters out there,” Weidman recently said during a UFC World Tour: Weidman vs. Silva 2 press stop in Brazil.

The success of his first title defense begins in the gym.

“The biggest thing for me is to train every single day.  It doesn’t just start when I walk into that cage,” said Weidman.  “Every day I’ve got to train as hard as I can, and just go out there and go as hard as I can.  Any type of instincts I’m feeling at the time, I’ve got to go for it, otherwise I’m going to have regrets.  And I’m going to be going for the finish the whole time.  That’s just the way I fight.”

Weidman doesn’t plan to change his strategy for the rematch and believes he’ll be an improved fighter when he steps in the cage at UFC 168.

“Pretty much the same strategy.  The only difference is, around this time before the last fight, I was nursing an injury and I wasn’t able to improve.  Right now, I’m able to still workout and improve every day,” he said.  “That’s really the only difference.   As far as strategy, it’s kind of the same for every one of my fights; walk forward.  It’s a chess game out there.  If he thinks I’m doing one thing, I’m going to do the other.”

While the first fight was one-sided, Weidman is expecting a war in the rematch.

“He’s as good as everybody thinks he is.  He’s known as the greatest of all time for a reason,” he said. “It’s no fluke.  He’s a stud.  I’m expecting a war in the next fight, and I’m hoping for a finish.”

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 8 months ago

Chris Weidman Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Charles Rosa hopes to get rebooked soon after UFC Fight Night 117 scratch

Featherweight Charles Rosa said the promotion compensated him in spite of his canceled fight against Mizuto Hirota at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Kevin Lee Explains Why He Hopes Tony Ferguson Can Survive to the Championship Rounds at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee isn't lacking confidence ahead of his first title fight at UFC 216 read news >>

Video: Ex-champ Anderson Silva, Kelvin Gastelum face off for UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum face off for the first time ahead of UFC Fight Night 122 on Nov. 25. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Glad Anderson Silva's Name is No Longer by His for UFC Record | MMAWeekly.com

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson etched his name in the history books on Saturday night in Las Vegas. In the UFC 216 co-main event, he submitted Ray B read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier now targets 2018 for title defense against Volkan Oezdemir

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier expects to defend his title in early 2018, facing upstart Volkan Oezdemir in his first challenge since being re-crowned as the titleholder.Filed under: N read news >>

Georges St-Pierre was Offered Anderson Silva Before Michael Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

Though he is slated to challenge Michael Bisping at UFC 217, Georges St-Pierre had a possible bout with Anderson Silva in the offing. read news >>

Kurt Holobaugh's camp will push for suspension reduction, UFC status not in jeopardy

Kurt Holobaugh’s rep says his UFC contract isn’t canceled, and his team plans to fight a nine-month suspension for IV use. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ian McCall Granted His Release from the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Flyweight fighter Ian McCall has been granted his release from the UFC after asking the organization to void his contract recently. UFC officials confirmed the news to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday. McCal read news >>