He’s the UFC interim welterweight champion, and he’s tentatively penciled in for a title vs. title bout with Georges St-Pierre at UFC 154 on Nov. 17. That’s assuming St-Pierre’s knee continues to heal properly, of course, but all recent signs point to St-Pierre making the date.
You’d think fans would be excited about St-Pierre vs. Condit, but that hasn’t been the case. The only thing Condit hears these days are complaints: Why isn’t he fighting Johny Hendricks? Why isn’t he defending the belt against Martin Kampmann? Interim championships are created so that a belt can be defended while the true champion is out of action, so why is Condit sitting on the shelf until St-Pierre comes back?
“The bottom line is that the UFC has not offered me another fight. I haven’t been contacted, nor has my management been contacted about fighting anybody else other than Georges St-Pierre,” Condit told Bleacher Report in an exclusive interview during last week’s UFC Fan Expo in Las Vegas. “So Georges is the guy I want. And if the UFC wants that fight, I’m content to wait for him to be ready. If it’s in November, of course.”
What happens if St-Pierre suffers a setback during the rehabilitation of his knee?
“If it’s going to be longer, then I will entertain the idea of taking another fight,” Condit said. “As far as I know, Georges’ recovery is on track, and he’s going to be ready to go Nov. 17.
Condit recently told the media that he was more interested in facing Kampmann. This enraged Hendricks, who felt that his win over Josh Koscheck—coupled with a four-fight winning streak—should have been enough to earn him a crack at the belt.
But Condit has very specific reasons for his interest in fighting Kampmann.
“I mean, he’s had a good run recently. But his last fight was a pretty close decision with Josh Koscheck. Kampmann, on the other hand, finished Thiago Alves. He knocked out Jake Ellenberger,” Condit said. “He’s had a stellar run as of late. And it’s just a fight that I’d be more motivated for. And I think there would be more hype for the fans. That’s just the bottom line.”
UFC star Nate Diaz said he is not interested in fighting for interim titles after being offered a bout against Tony Ferguson. According to Brett Okamoto of ESPN, Diaz was invited to compete for the i read news >>
Did Georges St-Pierre’s slow ramp up to a UFC return prove to be his undoing? Is Bellator really going to give more former UFC champs a chance to come back? Why don’t more people see Stipie Miocic as read news >>
UFC President Dana White said Wednesday night that he has completed negotiations with Conor McGregor in hopes of setting up a showdown against Floyd Mayweather Jr. later this year. Appearing on TNT's read news >>
UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes still wants to fight for the featherweight title, as long as it isn't Cris Cyborg that she'd have to challenge. read news >>
Colby Covington wanted a fight. But wanting was a lot easier than getting.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
James Vick was upset he didn’t get a performance bonus for knocking out Marco Polo Reyes at UFC 211. So he took his complaint directly to UFC brass.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>
Former UFC title challenger Rory MacDonald has been cleared for his Bellator debut, where he’ll take on British slugger Paul Daley in the headlining bout of Bellator 179.Filed under: Bellator, Featur read news >>
Despite Daniel Cormier currently possessing the UFC light heavyweight championship, Jon Jones doesn't consider him a champion. read news >>
Stream or download Wednesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Dustin Poirier and Jake Shields.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC, WSOF read news >>
After making weight, former UFC welterweight contender Rory MacDonald will finally make his Bellator debut opposite Paul Daley at Bellator 179 on Friday. read news >>