#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Bellator MMA #Kristina Williams #Heather Hardy #Conor McGregor #Neiman Gracie #UFC 216 #Zak Bucia #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP

Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is known for her judo background, but apparently her striking skills are coming along as well.

“What she has is amazing, but people don’t understand: Ronda’s boxing is so good right now,” her striking coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “If I could, I’d turn that girl into a boxing professional world champion. She was sparring with girls in our gym that are like 16-1 and WBA world champions, Lucia Rijker … and Ronda gets the best out of it.”

In her recent win over Sarah Kaufman, Rousey came out throwing a jab that helped her close the distance and move the fight to the ground, where she won via armbar. Kaufman looked somewhat surprised that an Olympic bronze medalist in judo was so aggressive with her hands.

“That was exactly the game plan,” Tarverdyan said. “Ronda has a great jab. She does like six in a row when we’re doing pad work and mitt work. In the gym she’s also working that jab. It comes natural to her. She always had her left foot forward when she was doing judo tournaments, so she’s real comfortable with sticking that jab and grabbing them and taking them down.”

Tarverdyan, who works with Rousey at the Glendale Fighting Club in California, wasn’t interested in training her initially. After watching some of her judo highlights, though, and also seeing her in MMA, he changed his mind.

“I was like, ‘OK, this girl is going to be something special,’” Tarverdyan said. “I started working with her. For like six months we didn’t do any striking. Just footwork, distance, understanding. I didn’t give her hard sparring, nothing like that. Just she moved around with me. I have control of my punches and I’m not trying to swing your head off and I’m technical and I could teach her. More like drilling-sparring, like amateur style, than actual just banging like the professional style. I taught her a lot of amateur boxing. Once I got that done, I know she has a good jab. She has a good straight punch, a right straight. She knows how to move her head. She knows how to defend herself, block punches, move in and out, use her legs, and then I started just gradually raising her sparring. For the last camp we had great sparring partners. That’s how you learn.”

In addition to Rousey, Gegard Mousasi and Manny Gamburyan, Tarverdyan also works with amateur and professional boxers. Rousey has impressed them too.

“Ronda’s jab is looking really, really good,” Tarverdyan said. “All the Olympians I have in my gym, and world medalists, they just sit down and go, ‘Wow, dude. She has a great jab.’”

She’s getting more comfortable with her other punches as well, which could come in handy if she ever meets Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos.

“Now everybody knows she can strike,” Tarverdyan said. “I don’t care if people know or don’t know, to be honest with you. I know she can strike. She’s a great striker. She’s not going to have a problem with any of these fights we have in front of us.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 58:10).

Galleries

Ronda Rousey Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Ric Flair's Daughter Annoyed by Ronda Rousey Hounding (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Maybe accosting Charlotte Flair in the airport and slamming her with Ronda Rousey isn't the way to go. read news >>

Roy Nelson's only problem with Bellator debut? Listening to coach

Bellator heavyweight Roy Nelson wanted to duke it out with Javy Ayala on his feet. But his coach had other ideas.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Even Miesha Tate Doesn't Want to See Cris Cyborg Slaughter Ronda Rousey | MMAWeekly.com

Even Ronda Rousey's most heated rival, Miesha Tate, wouldn't send her to slaughter by having her fight Cris Cyborg. read news >>

UFC confirms Khabib Nurmagomedov was offered fight with Tony Ferguson at UFC 217

Behind all the Twitter sparring between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov, the UFC tried to book the pair a fourth time.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Produced Documentary Series 'Why We Fight' Picked Up by Verizon Go90 | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey continued to push into new avenues outside the cage with her latest project getting picked up by Verizon's Go90 free video service. The documenta read news >>

Brandon Gibson: Jackson-Wink MMA dethroned 'unbeatable' Ronda Rousey – Demetrious Johnson next

The Jackson-Wink MMA camp in Albuquerque, N.M., is no stranger to taking out dominant, seemingly flawless champions.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk right where she wants to be defending title vs. Rose Namajunas at MSG

Joanna Jedrzejczyk intends to join Ronda Rousey in setting a UFC record on the big stage at Madison Square Garden. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Talks Potential WWE Career in TMZ Interview

In an exclusive interview with TMZ Sports on Tuesday, Ronda Rousey discussed the possibility of pursuing a WWE career. Rousey didn't reveal any specifics regarding potential plans, and she mentioned read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Latest WWE Tease... Hubby Joining Her? | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey gives the latest scoop on a potential career move to the WWE. read news >>