Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is known for her judo background, but apparently her striking skills are coming along as well.

“What she has is amazing, but people don’t understand: Ronda’s boxing is so good right now,” her striking coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “If I could, I’d turn that girl into a boxing professional world champion. She was sparring with girls in our gym that are like 16-1 and WBA world champions, Lucia Rijker … and Ronda gets the best out of it.”

In her recent win over Sarah Kaufman, Rousey came out throwing a jab that helped her close the distance and move the fight to the ground, where she won via armbar. Kaufman looked somewhat surprised that an Olympic bronze medalist in judo was so aggressive with her hands.

“That was exactly the game plan,” Tarverdyan said. “Ronda has a great jab. She does like six in a row when we’re doing pad work and mitt work. In the gym she’s also working that jab. It comes natural to her. She always had her left foot forward when she was doing judo tournaments, so she’s real comfortable with sticking that jab and grabbing them and taking them down.”

Tarverdyan, who works with Rousey at the Glendale Fighting Club in California, wasn’t interested in training her initially. After watching some of her judo highlights, though, and also seeing her in MMA, he changed his mind.

“I was like, ‘OK, this girl is going to be something special,’” Tarverdyan said. “I started working with her. For like six months we didn’t do any striking. Just footwork, distance, understanding. I didn’t give her hard sparring, nothing like that. Just she moved around with me. I have control of my punches and I’m not trying to swing your head off and I’m technical and I could teach her. More like drilling-sparring, like amateur style, than actual just banging like the professional style. I taught her a lot of amateur boxing. Once I got that done, I know she has a good jab. She has a good straight punch, a right straight. She knows how to move her head. She knows how to defend herself, block punches, move in and out, use her legs, and then I started just gradually raising her sparring. For the last camp we had great sparring partners. That’s how you learn.”

In addition to Rousey, Gegard Mousasi and Manny Gamburyan, Tarverdyan also works with amateur and professional boxers. Rousey has impressed them too.

“Ronda’s jab is looking really, really good,” Tarverdyan said. “All the Olympians I have in my gym, and world medalists, they just sit down and go, ‘Wow, dude. She has a great jab.’”

She’s getting more comfortable with her other punches as well, which could come in handy if she ever meets Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos.

“Now everybody knows she can strike,” Tarverdyan said. “I don’t care if people know or don’t know, to be honest with you. I know she can strike. She’s a great striker. She’s not going to have a problem with any of these fights we have in front of us.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 58:10).

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Weighs In on Ronda Rousey's UFC Struggles (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk weighs in on the struggles of former bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. read news >>

Conor McGregor: No issue with Ronda Rousey's media blackout, 'weak' to celebrate her downfall

Conor McGregor has never been hesitant to voice his support for fellow MMA superstar Ronda Rousey.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White on ex-UFC champ Ronda Rousey's future: I 'think she's probably done'

We may have seen the last of former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey in the cage.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

Dana White Says Ronda Rousey is Probably Done Fighting | MMAWeekly.com

After losing back-to-back bouts for the first time in her career, it appears that former Ronda Rousey may be riding off into the sunset. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Receives Apology from Amanda Nunes for Post-UFC 207 Comments

Current UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes held nothing back after she swiftly defeated Ronda Rousey at UFC 207 on Dec. 30. On Tuesday, more than one month after her victory, she apologized to Ro read news >>

UFC Champ Amanda Nunes Issues Apology to Ronda Rousey | MMAWeekly.com

UFC women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes on Tuesday issued an apology to former champ Ronda Rousey. read news >>

Amanda Nunes offers apology to Ronda Rousey for post-fight UFC 207 comments

Amanda Nunes didn’t mince many words after she tore through Ronda Rousey in December to defend the UFC women’s bantamweight title. But now she’s walking some of them back a little.Filed under: News, read news >>

Dana White on Ronda Rousey: The Day Comes When You Don't Have It Anymore | MMAWeekly.com

So what's up with Ronda Rousey's downward spiral in the Octagon? It's simple, says Dana White, "It's a young man's and a young woman's game." read news >>

Knockout Radio LIVE: Tim Boetsch, Jarred Brooks & Ronda Rousey's Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

Tune in Wednesday at 3:30 pm ET, for Knockout Radio LIVE! Tim Boetsch and Jarred Brooks join the show, and the crew talks about Ronda Rousey's career situation. read news >>