#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #Jon Jones #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

Michael Bisping (file photo) scored an emotional win over Jorge Rivera at UFC 127. | Sherdog.com

Michael Bisping got what he wanted out of UFC 127.

The British middleweight found himself victorious in Sydney, Australia, on Saturday night, his hands raised high as his fallen foe lay crumpled beneath him. The route Bisping traveled to arrive at that moment, however, may be talked about for some time to come.

After dictating the striking early in his co-main event scrap with Jorge Rivera, Bisping began to execute takedowns for which Rivera had no answer. Following one such grappling exchange, Bisping grabbed the kneeling Rivera in a Thai clinch and blasted “El Conquistador” square in the face with a knee.

It appeared the fight would be stopped by the cageside physician, but at the last moment, a game Rivera informed referee Marc Goddard that he could continue. Bisping was docked a point, but Rivera appeared to be on rubbery legs from that moment onward. Postfight, Rivera’s camp reportedly complained that the illegal knee was thrown deliberately. However, “The Count” claims that the strike was an accident that may be chalked up to emotion and adrenaline taking over.

“The knee certainly wasn’t on purpose,” Bisping said during the postfight press conference. “He was getting up off the ground, and I pulled the trigger too early. It happens a lot. This is a fast-moving sport. No one wants to see a fight won or lost in that fashion.”

The 185-pound contest carried with it some extra heat, due in large part to a series of YouTube video released by Rivera in which the American relentlessly mocked his English opponent. According to Bisping, the videos hit a bit too close to home. Following the fight’s finish, the Wolfslair Academy product spat at the American corner and verbally taunted Rivera before eventually embracing the man he had just battered.

“He was very insulting toward me. He was mocking me on the Internet, talking about myself and my family. But it built up inside me, and I blew up a little bit, so I apologize,” said Bisping. “[The videos] definitely motivated me and made me work harder. Trash talk is part of the game, and I let it get to me too much. But I’m an emotional guy. Everything that comes out of my mouth comes from my heart. I am who I am. He embarrassed me, mocking me all over the world. But I should have been the better man and taken that on the chin a little better.”

Regarding the fight, Bisping believes he executed his game plan against a worthy adversary, regardless of the illegal blow.

“I thought I gave a good performance. I respect Jorge. He’s been around the game a long time. He gave Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin good fights, so he is no walk in the park,” Bisping stated. “I prepared for this fight hard fight like always do. I thought I had his number. I was getting those takedowns. I hit him with that right hand and felt him wobble a bit, and I knew it was time to go for the finish.”

Reader comments are active below. Chime in with an opinion or thought by signing in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Yahoo! account.

Galleries

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Bisping vs. St-Pierre and Garbrandt vs. Dillashaw Official for UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre is now official, taking the UFC 217 headlining slot. read news >>

One UFC middleweight standout's take on Georges St-Pierre vs. Michael Bisping

There’s been a fair amount of hand-wringing over the upcoming UFC middleweight title bout between Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping, but UFC middleweight Brad Tavares takes no issue with it. File read news >>

Ex-champ Luke Rockhold calls UFC 217 headliner between Michael Bisping, Georges St-Pierre 'a joke'

Luke Rockhold is fighting ex-WSOF champ David Branch at UFC Fight Night 116, but he’ll be ready if there’s a shuffle at the top of UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Believes Jon Jones Should Be Banned for Life | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping probably has more right than anybody in the UFC to hate fighters who cheat and use performance enhancing drugs. Throughout his own career in the Octagon, Bisping has faced numerous fi read news >>

A for effort, D- for execution: Michael Bisping tries Valentina Shevchenko's nifty dance moves

UFC middleweight champion and UFC 215 commentator Michael Bisping gave it a solid effort, even if the results left something to be desired.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold Wins but Stays in Middleweight Shadows

Last June, Luke Rockhold defended the UFC middleweight championship against Michael Bisping. Bisping, a seasoned veteran who had never even earned a title shot, took the fight against Rockhold on lat read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping: Georges St-Pierre fight could be my last – win or lose

“There’s a lot of people saying, ‘Mike, you should retire,'” and Michael Bisping is giving it serious consideration.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Might Retire After Fighting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is considering retirement after he fights Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold Trashes Michael Bisping's Title Reign as 'the Worst in UFC History' | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Luke Rockhold has never been a fan of Michael Bisping but it seems he likes him even less a year and a half into his middleweight title reign in the UFC. Of course, Rockhold has a reason to hold a gr read news >>