#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jan Blachowicz #Jimi Manuwa #Terrion Ware #Tom Duquesnoy #Leon Edwards #Peter Sobotta #Paul Craig #Magomed Ankalaev #Charles Byrd #John Phillips #Danny Henry #Hakeem Dawodu

Bellator contract allows Heather Hardy crossover in boxing, MMA

When boxer Heather Hardy made her professional MMA debut at Bellator 180, she needed to make an impression. There was no other way to construe a one-fight contract.

On Friday, she makes her second appearance for the Viacom-owned promotion, facing Kristina Williams (0-0 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) at Bellator 185. This time, though, it’s not such a do-or-die situation.

After a bloody beatdown of Alice Yauger in June, Hardy (1-0 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) signed a two-year contract with Bellator. The deal guarantees a minimum of four bouts. But more than that, it also allows her to make a living in boxing.

Rather than be held to one promoter and one sport, Hardy gets to choose.

“I’m pretty much flexible to do whatever makes sense,” she told MMAjunkie in advance of her Spike-televised fight at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn. “If it’s a better deal with Bellator, then we do MMA. If boxing has a big opportunity for me, (I do boxing).

“The organizations want to see me do well, and they’re not interested in standing in the way of one another.”

Hardy still holds a contract with boxing promoter Lou DiBella. She estimates she spends 12 hours a day in the squared circle, coaching fighters at gym and training clients at the famed Gleason’s Gym in her hometown of Brooklyn, N.Y. But at the moment, she sees more opportunity in MMA.

“The way I see it is, the industry is not really willing to pay women moving forward,” she said. “If they can’t offer me a decent enough fight with a good opponent – I’m 20-0 and a two-time champion – I’m not interested in fights that don’t make sense.

“If they can’t pay these girls to come in and give the fans the fights they want to see, then it’s really not worth my time any more,” she said. “I’m really hopeful that, starting next year, promoters will be willing to bring in good competition and put on good women’s fights.”

Money motivated Hardy’s move away from boxing. But it was also expedited by MMA’s passage in her home state. After a nearly 20-year ban on MMA was removed and the sport was legalized, increased insurance requirements forced several New York-based boxing promoters, including DiBella, to cancel events.

Without a place to ply her trade, Hardy, the WBC’s international female featherweight champ, needed a way to provide for herself and her family.

Although she hasn’t quit her day job as a boxing coach and trainer, Hardy is breathing a bit easier now that she knows she’ll be fighting regularly.

“It does help me financially in the long run, knowing that I have certain paychecks coming my way,” she said. “The last month hasn’t been great, because I don’t get paid up front for them all. But it’s nice to know that over the next two years, I’ll be in a better spot financially. The more you work, the more you get paid.”

For her second bout, Hardy wants to put on the type of performance that keeps her phone ringing. She’s working hard to acclimate herself to range and speed of MMA. She grades her debut a C-plus based on a slow start and thinks she’ll be a greater threat with more experience in the gym.

“The first one was really an introduction, trying to cover all the bases just so that I knew what was going on in any particular situation,” she said. “It was like glossing over all the areas, because I kind of fast-forwarded and jumped feet-first into a fight at the Garden.

“I focused less on my boxing (for the second camp), and more on kickboxing and striking and jiu-jitsu, so I’m already acclimated and accustomed to fighting that fight.”

Hardy earned wide recognition from MMA fans for her aggressive comeback in the second and third round of her debut. But her personality also won notice from the MMA media, which caught her off guard after so many years of obscurity in boxing.

“It’s so nice to finally get recognition,” she said. “I worked so hard in boxing, and nobody really knew my name. After that one fight, I kind of skyrocketed overnight.”

She’s still got a long ways to go before she’s a household name. But now, there’s a foundation to build her name as a crossover star in combat sports.

“I’m still working two jobs and taking care of my daughter,” she said. “I don’t have that luxury where I can go away for a six-week fight camp and have a nanny take my daughter back to school. I’m not there yet. So it’s nice (to have the new deal), because it seems like I can be there one day.”

For more on Bellator 185, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Jon Fitch Signs Multi-Fight Contract with Bellator MMA | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator MMA announced on Thursday the signing of perennial top contender Jon Fitch (30-7-1, 1 NC) to an exclusive multi-fight contract. read news >>

Bellator signs former UFC title challenger, ex-WSOF champ Jon Fitch

Decorated MMA veteran Jon Fitch has signed a multi-fight contract with Bellator and vacated his welterweight title in the PFL. read news >>

Bellator 195's Leandro Higo confident he'll beat champ Darrion Caldwell, no thanks to 'MMA math'

Paired with a tall competitor in Darrion Caldwell, Leandro Higo plans on using the champ’s size against him in Bellator 195’s headliner. read news >>

Bellator 195 Weigh-in Results and Video: Darrion Caldwell and Leandro Higo Make Weight | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of Bellator MMA) Bellator bantamweight champion Darrion Caldwell is set to put his belt on the line for the first time following Thursday's Bellator 195 weigh-ins. Caldwell was just under t read news >>

Bellator 195 weigh-in photo gallery: Joe Warren hams it up for the cameras

Check out the photos from today’s Bellator 195 fighter weigh-ins. read news >>

Losing sucks, but Bellator 195's Emily Ducote knows 'there are lessons you can't learn from wins'

Emily Ducote has lost twice to Ilima Macfarlane, but she’s not taking it as some type of revenge mission: “As far as a third fight with her? It’s not on my mind.” read news >>

Bellator 195 live video stream and official results (7 p.m. ET)

Check out a live video stream and official results from Bellator 195. read news >>

John McCarthy details big-picture issue of Jeremy Stephens-Josh Emmett controversy

Veteran referee turned Bellator commentator John McCarthy faults state athletic commissions for the controversy surrounding UFC on FOX 28’s headliner. read news >>

Bellator 195 pre-event facts: Joe Warren ties all-time record with 19th Bellator bout

Check out the facts, figures and footnotes about Bellator 195, which features a Darrion Caldwell vs. Leandro Higo title-fight headliner. read news >>

Bellator 195 main-event breakdown: Will Darrion Caldwell's wrestling edge top Leandro Higo?

MMAjunkie’s Dan Tom breaks down Bellator 195’s main event bantamweight title fight between champion Darrion Caldwell and Leandro Higo. read news >>

Kristina Williams Expects Bellator 195 to Set Tone for Her Career | MMAWeekly.com

Kristina Williams will look to keep her undefeated record going when she takes on Emily Ducote in a main card 125-pound bout at Bellator 195. read news >>

Watch Justin Patterson drop Brian Grinnell with fight-ending knee at Bellator 195

Bellator 195’s streamed prelims got off to a gut-wrenching start tonight. read news >>

Check out Fernando Gonzalez's slick armbar win over Armando Servin at Bellator 195

The finishses on Bellator’s preliminary card continued with a slick submission almost out of nowhere. read news >>

Bellator 195 results: Juan Archuleta blows out William Joplin, including a 30-23 score

Juan Archuleta blew out short-notice opponent William Joplin to open up the Bellator 195 main card in Oklahoma. read news >>

Bellator 195 results: Kristina Williams takes split decision from Emily Ducote

Kristina Williams moved to 2-0 as a pro with her second straight upset. She took a split decision from Emily Ducote. read news >>

Jon Fitch set for Bellator debut vs. Paul Daley in Bellator 199 co-main event

UFC vet and former PFL champ Jon Fitch will make his Bellator debut against the hard-hitting Paul Daley at Bellator 199 in May. read news >>

Search for: