#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #Jon Jones #David Branch #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

Pat Barry's submission defense is improving. | Photo: Sherdog.com

Pat Barry saw his finish of Christian Morecraft coming before he landed the crushing blow that spelled disaster for his opponent.

According to the heavyweight, he noticed an opening in Morecraft’s defense midway through round one, though the application of that knowledge would not come to fruition until the opening presented itself once more.

“Maybe 10 or 12 seconds before I threw the left hook, I saw the opening, and I went for it,” Barry told Fox Sports following his victory at UFC on FX 1 at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn. “Suddenly, Herb Dean was pulling me off of him. It was everything we hoped for in camp.”

A gifted striker, Barry’s ground game has predictably been his weak link since transitioning to mixed martial arts, his submission defense costing him in three of his four career losses. Initially, it appeared that Barry would once again show his relative inexperience on Saturday night, but “HD” showed improved skills on the floor, escaping Morecraft’s top control and submissions.

“In the heat of battle, it’s hard to tell [if a submission is close], but the armbar was in,” Barry said of Morecraft’s tightest submission attempt, which he managed to escape after a struggle.

Barry nearly attempted a submission of his own, grabbing a guillotine choke with his back against the cage. However, Barry admitted later that he strayed from the game plan by considering the submission finish in the bout’s opening minutes.

“I’m very prone to going for submissions and squeezing with everything I have. When it doesn’t work, my arms and legs go numb,” said Barry. “[My coach and I] agreed before the fight that I could only go for a submission if there were 10 seconds or less before the end of a round. I had [the guillotine], and I almost started celebrating. Then I looked over [to my corner] and [my coach] was shaking his head.”

Barry credits his preparation at Team Death Clutch, with competitors like former UFC champion Brock Lesnar and current Bellator king Cole Konrad, for his growing poise on the mat.

“I think that was the first time I was the smallest guy in the room, when I was rolling around with the big guys at Death Clutch. Wrestling is the most tiring thing in the world,” said Barry. “I never knew I was claustrophobic until I had these guys lying on top of me. Now it’s becoming a little more second nature, being on the ground and [reacting] to being in trouble instead of just panicking.”

While Barry has faced a considerable list of talent since joining the UFC in 2008, the 32-year-old is most concerned about what lies ahead as he continues to round out his skills as a mixed martial artist.

“It’s the evolution of the sport. I’m not as bad as people think. I just haven’t done it a lot. This is like third or fourth time I’ve done live groundwork [in a fight],” Barry said. “I’m going to throw heat at anybody, no matter who it is. I fought [Mirko] ‘Cro Cop’ [Filipovic], [Cheick] Kongo and Stefan Struve. Morecraft was a bigger fight to me than all of those, because every fight is the next big fight.”

Comments

Germaine de Randamie out at UFC Fight Night 115, promotion seeking replacement

Former UFC women’s featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie is out of next week’s UFC Fight Night 115 co-headliner.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam winner Marion Reneau wants top-10 fight after ex-champ de Randamie 'backed out'

Marion Reneau is seeking a top-10 challenge after bout with former UFC champ Germaine de Randamie fell through at UFC Fight Night 115.Filed under: News read news >>

Thiago Alves out of Saturday's UFC co-headliner; replacement foe sought for Mike Perry

The UFC is currently seeking a welterweight fighter willing to take on a rising contender on short notice.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones' Win Against Daniel Cormier Overturned to No Contest Due to Failed Drug Test | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones' victory against Daniel Cormier at UFC 214 in July has officially been overturned to a no contest after the embattled light heavyweight champion tested positive for the steroid Turinabol. C read news >>

Jesse Taylor out of UFC Fight Night 121 due to potential USADA violation

A potential U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) violation has forced Jesse Taylor out of this fall’s UFC Fight Night 121 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jesse Taylor Popped for Potential UFC Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Jesse Taylor made a miraculous turnaround in his career only to have it shrouded in doubt after he was flagged for a potential UFC anti-doping violation. read news >>

CSAC overturns Jon Jones' title win over Daniel Cormier at UFC 214

In the wake of Jon Jones’ “B” sample positive, the California State Athletic Commission has overturned his win over Daniel Cormier at UFC 214.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Thiago Alves Out of Co-Main Event Fight Against Mike Perry at UFC in Pittsburgh | MMAWeekly.com

Thiago Alves is out of his fight this Saturday night against Mike Perry in a bout that was scheduled as the co-main event at UFC Fight Night in Pittsburgh. Sources close to the situation confirmed Al read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Moved to UFC 216 in Las Vegas | MMAWeekly.com

Demetrious Johnson won't have to wait long to fight for history after all. The reigning flyweight champion will look for his 11th consecutive title defense when he faces Ray Borg at UFC 216 in Las Ve read news >>

Reports: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg rebooked for UFC 216 in Las Vegas

Demetrious Johnson will still have his chance to break the consecutive UFC title defense record against Ray Borg.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>