#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Jon Jones #Conor McGregor #Justin Gaethje #Heroes of Honor #Kevin Lee #Alexander Gustafsson #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Daniel Cormier #Nate Diaz #Tony Ferguson #UFC 217

Back to lightweight, Bruno Carvalho takes aim at Bellator tourney berth

bruno-carvalho-1.jpgHe almost made it to 145 pounds. But alas, 149 was where he wound up.

Bruno Carvalho still managed to earn a split-decision win in his most recent fight, which came this past September against Maicon Bastos in Brazil, but he’s headed back to lightweight as he makes his Bellator debut this week.

“I feel great at this weight,” Carvalho told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m excited for the fight and plan to put on a show.”

Carvalho (8-2 MMA, 0-0 BFC), who on Thursday meets Edson Berto (16-10-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) at Bellator 94, this past summer told MMAjunkie.com about his plan to fight at featherweight and lightweight to make himself more attractive to the UFC.

Missing weight, though, is never attractive to big promotions, and Carvalho recognizes the need to make a good impression out of the gate.

“I’m on a two-year contract,” he said. “This fight now is highly important. Depending on the result, I might gain a spot on the next lightweight tournament. It’s an opportunity that I don’t want to let pass.

“I’ve trained as much as I could so I can move up the Bellator rankings. I don’t wish to merely participate. My goal is to be the lightweight champion.”

Bellator 94 takes place at USF Sun Dome. The event’s main card airs live on Spike TV following prelims on Spike.com, which carries Carvalho vs. Berto.

Carvalho left his first chosen sport of muay Thai to pursue a career in MMA, and he’s 8-2 as a professional. He joins dozens of top lightweights who hope to compete in Bellator’s next tournament, which could take place this summer.

Carvalho already has brushed shoulders with the world’s biggest fight promotion. He said he passed tryouts for the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” but the show’s producers decided last minute to recruit talent from the welterweight division.

Now comes another opportunity to gain the kind of exposure he needs to take his career to the next level.

“I see this as the greatest opportunity in my career,” he said. “I going there to dominate. I’ve talked the talk. Now I’m going to walk the walk. I want to be the champ. I want to show the world that I’m No. 1 in my weight class.

“I’ve matured a lot as a fighter since last year. I’m better prepared for greater challenges. I’m more serious now. I don’t party. I just train and go home.”

For more on Bellator 94, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Bellator champ Ryan Bader: Beating Fedor Emelianenko in tourney would be 'ultimate fairytale'

Ryan Bader isn’t certain how Bellator’s heavyweight grand prix is going to play out, but he has an ideal ending. read news >>

Champ Ryan Bader reveals planned weight for Bellator heavyweight tourney

Ryan Bader competes up a weight class for the first time in his career when he participates in the Bellator Heavyweight World Grand Prix. read news >>

Can Brandon Girtz get signature win – like the ones inside – against Chandler at Bellator 197?

Brandon Girtz has had some big moments so far in his Bellator career. In two weeks, he could have his biggest moment yet. read news >>

Behind the scenes of Fedor Emelianenko, Frank Mir training camps before Bellator 198

Bellator’s heavyweight tournament will continue in a month when a pair of legends finally meet. Go behind the scenes inside. read news >>

Teodor Nikolov steps in on short notice to meet Adam Borics in Bellator 196 co-main event

The shuffling has continued for Adam Borics at next week’s Bellator 196, but at least now he knows he’s staying on the card. read news >>

Cheick Kongo returns against Javy Ayala at Bellator 199 in San Jose

A heavyweight bout between Javy Ayala and Cheick Kongo has been added to May’s Bellator 199 lineup. read news >>

Bellator 196's Devon Brock already beat a Gracie; how about 'Baby Slice' next?

Devon Brock is just fine with picking off the family trees of MMA icons. read news >>

James Gallagher wants return at Bellator 200: 'Card won't be complete until I'm on it'

Bellator featherweight prospect James Gallagher is seeking a late-May return to competition, and he knows exactly which card he wants on. read news >>

Former Bellator title challenger Arlene Blencowe puts MMA career on hold for boxing match

Former Bellator title challenger Arlene Blencowe will return to competition next month, but it won’t be in an MMA fight. read news >>

Just 2-0 as pro, Bellator's Tywan Claxton already wants McKee, Pico, Gallagher or Freire

Tywan Claxton has made an impression with back-to-back finishes to kick off his Bellator run, but he’s eager to show there’s more where that came from. read news >>

Ed Ruth gets new Bellator 196 opponent and contracted weight

Ed Ruth has received a new opponent with less than two weeks to go until Bellator 196. read news >>

Sean Grande returns to broadcast booth for 'one night only' at Bellator 196

Bellator fans will hear a recognizable voice on play-by-play duties next month at Bellator 196 when Sean Grande returns for “one night only.” read news >>

Bellator's Lorenz Larkin unloads on LFA's disqualified spine-jumping fighter

Bellator’s Lorenz Larkin summed up many MMA fans’ feelings when it comes to Drew Chatman’s controversial DQ at LFA 36. read news >>

Bellator 196: Benson Henderson - In Focus | MMAWeekly.com

Get to know Benson "Smooth" Henderson before he headlines Bellator 196 on April 6 against Roger Huerta. read news >>

Bellator champ Patricio Freire: I offered to fight 'jerk' Michael Chandler – but only for five rounds

Bellator champ Patricio Freire gave his side of why a Bellator 197 meeting with Michael Chandler isn’t happening. read news >>

Bellator 196 loses one half of planned co-headliner

The Bellator 196 lineup shuffle continues as the event has lost its planned Adam Borics vs. Manuel Gaxhja co-headliner. read news >>

Search for: