#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Dustin Poirier #Anthony Pettis #Fight One #Cody Garbrandt #Colby Covington

bruno-carvalho-1.jpgHe almost made it to 145 pounds. But alas, 149 was where he wound up.

Bruno Carvalho still managed to earn a split-decision win in his most recent fight, which came this past September against Maicon Bastos in Brazil, but he’s headed back to lightweight as he makes his Bellator debut this week.

“I feel great at this weight,” Carvalho told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m excited for the fight and plan to put on a show.”

Carvalho (8-2 MMA, 0-0 BFC), who on Thursday meets Edson Berto (16-10-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) at Bellator 94, this past summer told MMAjunkie.com about his plan to fight at featherweight and lightweight to make himself more attractive to the UFC.

Missing weight, though, is never attractive to big promotions, and Carvalho recognizes the need to make a good impression out of the gate.

“I’m on a two-year contract,” he said. “This fight now is highly important. Depending on the result, I might gain a spot on the next lightweight tournament. It’s an opportunity that I don’t want to let pass.

“I’ve trained as much as I could so I can move up the Bellator rankings. I don’t wish to merely participate. My goal is to be the lightweight champion.”

Bellator 94 takes place at USF Sun Dome. The event’s main card airs live on Spike TV following prelims on Spike.com, which carries Carvalho vs. Berto.

Carvalho left his first chosen sport of muay Thai to pursue a career in MMA, and he’s 8-2 as a professional. He joins dozens of top lightweights who hope to compete in Bellator’s next tournament, which could take place this summer.

Carvalho already has brushed shoulders with the world’s biggest fight promotion. He said he passed tryouts for the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” but the show’s producers decided last minute to recruit talent from the welterweight division.

Now comes another opportunity to gain the kind of exposure he needs to take his career to the next level.

“I see this as the greatest opportunity in my career,” he said. “I going there to dominate. I’ve talked the talk. Now I’m going to walk the walk. I want to be the champ. I want to show the world that I’m No. 1 in my weight class.

“I’ve matured a lot as a fighter since last year. I’m better prepared for greater challenges. I’m more serious now. I don’t party. I just train and go home.”

For more on Bellator 94, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Emelianenko vs. Mir in Bellator tourney opener? Matchups not determined, official says

Frank Mir claims he’s fighting Fedor Emelianenko in the opening round of the Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018, but company officials said matchups aren’t set.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with UFC-Norfolk breakdown, Bellator tourney discussion

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) as we preview Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 120 event and discuss the newly announced Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

Bellator heavyweight title tourney: Fedor, Mir, 'Rampage,' Sonnen among big names booked

The Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018 is a blockbuster tournament featuring a bevy of MMA stars, including Fedor Emelianenko, Chael Sonnen and “Rampage” Jackson.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2563 with UFC-Norfolk breakdown, Bellator tourney discussion

Stream or download Friday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Commission Rep Says Conor McGregor Assaulted Referee, is in Talks With UFC Officials

The commission representative overseeing Bellator 187 on Friday classified Conor McGregor's actions as "assault," and is in talks with the UFC. read news >>

Conor McGregor Video Surfaces Continuing His Tirade Outside Bellator 187 Arena | MMAWeekly.com

After Conor McGregor was ejected from 3Arena in Ireland, he continued on with his tirade against referee Marc Goddard. read news >>

Bellator to Crown Heavyweight Champion with Grand Prix Tournament in 2018 | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator will finally crown a new heavyweight champion next year read news >>

Twitter reacts to announcement of star-studded Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018

Check out the top Twitter reactions to today’s announcement of the Bellator MMA Heavyweight Grand Prix 2018.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Conor McGregor jumps cage at Bellator 187, confronts referee Marc Goddard

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor made quite the scene at today’s Bellator 187 event in his native Dublin.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Goes After Referee Marc Goddard in Melee Following Fight in Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor was engaged in an altercation with referee Marc Goddard on Friday read news >>