#UFC Fight Night 124 #Francis Ngannou #Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC 218 #Daniel Cormier #Conor McGregor #UFC 220 #Alistair Overeem #UFC 219

Back to lightweight, Bruno Carvalho takes aim at Bellator tourney berth

bruno-carvalho-1.jpgHe almost made it to 145 pounds. But alas, 149 was where he wound up.

Bruno Carvalho still managed to earn a split-decision win in his most recent fight, which came this past September against Maicon Bastos in Brazil, but he’s headed back to lightweight as he makes his Bellator debut this week.

“I feel great at this weight,” Carvalho told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m excited for the fight and plan to put on a show.”

Carvalho (8-2 MMA, 0-0 BFC), who on Thursday meets Edson Berto (16-10-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) at Bellator 94, this past summer told MMAjunkie.com about his plan to fight at featherweight and lightweight to make himself more attractive to the UFC.

Missing weight, though, is never attractive to big promotions, and Carvalho recognizes the need to make a good impression out of the gate.

“I’m on a two-year contract,” he said. “This fight now is highly important. Depending on the result, I might gain a spot on the next lightweight tournament. It’s an opportunity that I don’t want to let pass.

“I’ve trained as much as I could so I can move up the Bellator rankings. I don’t wish to merely participate. My goal is to be the lightweight champion.”

Bellator 94 takes place at USF Sun Dome. The event’s main card airs live on Spike TV following prelims on Spike.com, which carries Carvalho vs. Berto.

Carvalho left his first chosen sport of muay Thai to pursue a career in MMA, and he’s 8-2 as a professional. He joins dozens of top lightweights who hope to compete in Bellator’s next tournament, which could take place this summer.

Carvalho already has brushed shoulders with the world’s biggest fight promotion. He said he passed tryouts for the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” but the show’s producers decided last minute to recruit talent from the welterweight division.

Now comes another opportunity to gain the kind of exposure he needs to take his career to the next level.

“I see this as the greatest opportunity in my career,” he said. “I going there to dominate. I’ve talked the talk. Now I’m going to walk the walk. I want to be the champ. I want to show the world that I’m No. 1 in my weight class.

“I’ve matured a lot as a fighter since last year. I’m better prepared for greater challenges. I’m more serious now. I don’t party. I just train and go home.”

For more on Bellator 94, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Video: Before Bellator 192, watch champ Douglas Lima's tourney final with Ben Saunders

Prior to eventually claiming the Bellator welterweight title, Douglas Lima ended his rematch with Ben Saunders in emphatic fashion.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Big John McCarthy Joines Bellator Broadcast Booth | MMAWeekly.com

Pioneering MMA referee "Big" John McCarthy is stepping out of the cage and into the Bellator broadcast booth. read news >>

Veteran referee John McCarthy joins Bellator broadcast team as color commentator

MMA’s most famous referee will soon call the action inside the cage instead of officiating it.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Best Bellator photos from September-October 2017: A blood-soaked Heather Hardy

MMAjunkie looks back at the best Bellator photos from September and October 2017 through the lenses of the promotion’s official photographers.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

'Big' John McCarthy 'Not Sure He'll Ever Return' to Refereeing, Joins Bellator

"Big" John McCarthy may or may not be done refereeing but going forward, fans are going to be hearing a lot of him rather than seeing a lot of him. On Tuesday afternoon, Bellator MMA President Scott read news >>

John McCarthy explains Bellator commentator move, plans to still officiate boxing

Jimmy Smith’s departure from Bellator set in motion John McCarthy’s return to color commentating. A chokehold also made an assist.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

'Big' John McCarthy Explains Why He's Moving from Refereeing to the Bellator Broadcast Booth | MMAWeekly.com

"Big" John McCarthy is no stranger to sitting behind the microphone but he's best known as the third man in the cage or ring for some of the biggest fights in the history of mixed martial arts. McCar read news >>

Best Bellator photos from November-December 2017: Globetrotting title fights

MMAjunkie looks back at the best Bellator photos from November and December through the lenses of the promotion’s official photographers.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Floyd Mayweather takes aim at Conor McGregor's alleged bounty with Irish drug cartel

Floyd Mayweather today tweeted out a headline of a Conor McGregor story more than a month old and used it to take a jab at his adversary.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 192 Media Call: 'This One Isn't Rocket Science!' | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of their respective bouts at Bellator 192; Douglas Lima, Rory MacDonald, Rampage Jackson, and Chael Sonnen faced each other in a media call. read news >>