#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Roy Nelson #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Javy Ayala

Nik Lentz doesn’t mind fighting Brazilians in their home country.

In January he outpointed Diego Nunes in Brazil, and on Saturday he’ll be back in the country trying to beat another native in Hacran Dias at UFC on FX 8. Ahead of the matchup, Lentz joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, fighting in front of a hostile audience and more.

On Dias: “He’s super dangerous, but I don’t think that he does or possesses any talent that I don’t have.”

On whether he’s studied footage of Dias: “There was actually a lot of stuff online of his fights. We have like 10 of his fights that we went over, that I went over with all my coaches. We’ve got a very good idea of what this guy does and how he does it.”

On fighting Dias in Brazil: “It doesn’t mean anything to me. It couldn’t have been more hostile than the last time I went there. They loved Diego [Nunes] down there. Everything about it, when I was there, was about that guy. Everyone loved him. The whole crowd was 100 percent for him. In fact, it was actually kind of cool because every time he ever did anything, the crowd would just go crazy and then when it got countered, they would just all sigh. Fifteen thousand people would just go, ‘Ahhhh.’ … That kind of gave me a little extra energy.”

On how crowd support can have a negative effect on some fighters: “Lots of Brazilian fighters, when they fight in Brazil, because of the spectacle of the sport, because of how much their fans care, they put a lot of pressure on themselves. A lot of times they crack under that pressure, especially when you get in their face and show them it’s going to be a long night for them.”

On how dropping to 145 pounds changed his career: “It forced me to change things I had never needed to before. My whole life changed, everything about the way I eat, the way I train. It just kind of forced me into a situation where I had to change everything.”

On why he changed: “I had goals I wanted to accomplish, and it was very clear that I wasn’t doing what was necessary. … When I look back at my career at 155 pounds and see all the things I did wrong, when I switched over to ATT and working with Mike Dolce, I just felt horrible about myself for a couple of weeks because I’d be like, ‘This is what I do,’ and it’d be wrong. And, ‘This is how I train,’ and it was just exactly the opposite of what I was supposed to be doing. I was just naïve, I guess, when it comes to being a top contender in the world and what’s necessary. I kind of kicked myself for all of the mistakes I made, but it was kind of a learning process and I’m glad I went through it and now I’m a reborn fighter.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:47:55).

Comments

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: Mayweather-McGregor hoopla can't take away from my history

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t care if his upcoming fight promotion has taken a backseat to Mayweather-McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Canada cursed? A history of UFC main-event changes in 'The Great White North'

It still doesn’t seem like all that long ago when UFC business was booming in Canada. Now it can’t hold together a main event.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Alex Reyes has upset of Mike Perry on his mind on super short notice at UFC Fight Night 116

Alex Reyes took his fight with the dangerous Mike Perry on just three days’ notice for the UFC Fight Night 116 co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215's Alex White doesn't mind Mitch Clarke stole a little of his thunder

UFC 215’s Alex White can’t bring himself to be too mad that opponent Mitch Clarke stole some of his thunder by retiring. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Beating Johnson not an upset in Borg's mind

Ray Borg doesn’t need any reminders from the past to let him know what he’s going up against on Saturday, because, to him, beating Demetrious Johnson wouldn’t be an upset. read news >>

Hurricane Irma on UFC 215 winner Ilir Latifi's mind: 'Half of my team, my trainers have families in Miami'

Ilir Latifi is not oblivious to sacrifices made by his team to be by his side while their Miami homes were threatened: “You feel bad for them. They’re over here, and they’re watching the news all the read news >>

UFC 215 Talking Points: Nunes, Dos Anjos and Cejudo

Finding a new challenger for Amanda Nunes, Rafael Dos Anjos' steps towards a title shot, the evolution of Henry Cejudo and more in UFC 215 Talking Points. read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko 'Frustrated' By Split Decision Loss, Wants Third Fight with Amanda Nunes | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchenko left UFC 215 with disappointment on her face after a back and forth battle against women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes ended in a split decision loss. It was a tactical fi read news >>

Sergio Pettis wastes no time, kindly asks UFC 215 winner Henry Cejudo to meet him in Detroit

After an injury forced Henry Cejudo out of a scheduled UFC 211 encounter, flyweight contender Sergio Pettis is hoping the two solve their unfinished business in December.Filed under: Blue Corner, New read news >>

Sergio Pettis Wants Henry Cejudo at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

Sergio Pettis has some unfinished business with Henry Cejudo. The two top ranked flyweight contenders were originally scheduled to meet at UFC 211 in May but Cejudo suffered a hand injury during figh read news >>