ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – With his second straight victory over a notable opponent, Marlon Moraes’ stock has never been higher. But don’t expect the bantamweight prospect to leave the upstart World Series of Fighting promotion anytime soon.
“Right now I would not consider any (other contract) offers,” Moraes told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after a head-kick knockout of Tyson Nam at Saturday’s WSOF 2 event. “I am contracted with World Series of Fighting for at least one more fight. And I’m thinking of renewing my contract. I’m very happy with them. I hope they renew my contract.”
Moraes (10-4-1) also upset former WEC champion Miguel Torres before his win over Nam (12-5), which came on Saturday’s NBC Sports Network-televised WSOF 2 main card at Revel Atlantic City in New Jersey.
The split-decision victory over Torres put Moraes on the map in November. But the win over Nam, who had upset Bellator champ Eduardo Dantas at Shooto Brazil 33 this past year, proves it was no fluke. He’s won four straight fights, the past two on national TV, and he’s arguably the best bantamweight under the WSOF banner.
So why not parlay that exposure into a deal with an organization such as the UFC or Bellator, which features many of the world’s top 135-pounders?
“I am very happy with World Series of Fighting,” he said. “I hope to keep fighting for them. It doesn’t bother me to be with them. For me, this is a dream come true, to be fighting on cards featuring Danillo Villefort, Paulo Filho, Gesias Cavalcante, guys whom I used to sit at home and watch as a child. I am very happy to be here. I want to remain here.”
Moraes, who believes WSOF officials would allow him to fight in outside organizations if it were good “for me and the [WSOF],” said he had done his homework on Nam. The Brazilian, who said he found his way to the U.S. with the help of veteran MMA manager Alex Davis, considers Dantas a friend, so when Nam fought him back in August, Moraes did his scouting work.
That carried over into their own bout. So by the time this weekend’s event rolled around, Moraes had nearly a year’s worth of homework completed.
“At first I watched Tyson’s fights just out of curiosity, to know who was about to face Dantas,” he said. “After Tyson Nam managed to knock out Dantas, I got to study him a bit more. After I defeated Miguel Torres, I received the news I would be facing Nam.
“I was very happy for the opportunity. Ever since I was offered that bout, I was convinced I could defeat him.”view original article >>
Now former WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje late Wednesday night said his next move is a done deal.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF read news >>
Marlon Moraes is headed to the UFC, but faced former WEC world champion Miguel Torres at the inaugural WSOF1 on November 3, 2012, in Las Vegas. read news >>
Fast-rising heavyweight star Francis Ngannou has moved to the U.S. in hopes of furthering his career.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Three months ago, UFC lightweight Michael Johnson sat for an in-studio interview with MMAjunkie Radio and haggled for a big fight.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
LAS VEGAS – WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje is heading to the UFC, according to his now-former employers.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>
Check out this epic battle between WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje and challenger Luiz Firmino. read news >>
Image via WSOF When it was announced last week that the World Series of Fighting would be changing its name to the Professional Fighters League and introducing a 10-month league format to mixed marti read news >>
Do cost-cutting measures at ESPN mean bad news for the UFC’s hopes of a lucrative new TV deal? Did Paige VanZant cross a line with her homemade Reebok commercial? Is Anderson Silva brave or crazy? Al read news >>
With the WSOF morphing into the Professional Fighters League, the UFC snatched up another of the promotion's champions, inking a deal with Justin Gaethje. read news >>
Former WSOF lightweight champ Justin Gaethje made it clear from the moment he announced his UFC deal that he wanted only top competition. Now he’s calling them out by name.Filed under: Featured, News read news >>