MENU
#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Bellator MMA #Conor McGregor #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki



Sidelined since December of last year, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira is now set to return to the Octagon against Rashad Evans on Feb. 2 at UFC 156 in Las Vegas.

A member of the Florida-based Blackzilians camp, Evans is currently training with two of Nogueira’s former fellows, Vitor Belfort and Mario Sperry, who until recently were training with Team Nogueira. In a recent interview with Brazilian outlet Portal do Vale Tudo, Nogueira said he is unconcerned with any advantage that might come from his former training partners assisting his upcoming foe.

“We cannot worry about that. You have to worry about what we will do and not the opponent,” Nogueira said. “I’m studying a lot of his fights. He is heavy -- a very well-rounded guy. [He has] very good takedowns, good boxing, a dangerous right hand, and he kicks well. He's a very complete guy.”

Currently 36 years old, Nogueira relishes the challenge of fighting a foe like Evans. “Minotoro” was last seen dominating another former UFC light heavyweight champion in Tito Ortiz, finishing the Californian with brutal ground-and-pound to the body at UFC 140. The 11-year veteran now hopes he can repeat the trick against Evans and pick up his fourth Octagon victory.

“It will be a great challenge, and these are the challenges that make me train harder. I was unable to train [earlier this year] due to an injury on my knee, but challenges like this make me train harder and better, as I trained for the fight against Tito Ortiz,” said Nogueira. “It must be a really great challenge. I'm at a stage in my career, with my experience in making big fights, that this will be a great bout.”

Nogueira also commented on how he intends to reconcile the Evans training camp with his role as an assistant coach on the upcoming second season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” which will see his brother, heavyweight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, serve as a head coach opposite Fabricio Werdum.

“In the beginning, there will be someone in my place,” said the light heavyweight. “Then, halfway through, I'll be back. This replacing coach thing [also] happened to [Junior dos Santos].”

Speaking of the UFC heavyweight champion, Nogueira believes that “Cigano” is even better for his second duel with Cain Velasquez, which takes places Dec. 29 at UFC 155.

“As always, [dos Santos is] well prepared. He is an example,” said Nogueira. “‘Cigano’ is athletic and was praised even before joining the UFC. He's in his best physical condition, and everybody can expect a very aggressive ‘Cigano.’”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Galleries

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Fights

  • 10 months ago
  • 133 views

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

Siyar Bahadurzada: ‘I’m Back and I’m Motivated!’ (Interview & Highlights)

  • 23 days ago
  • 5 views

(Courtesy of UFC) Fighting on his adopted home turf in the Netherlands, Siyar Bahadurzada finished Rob Wilkinson midway through the second round of their UFC Fight Night 115 co-main event. The bout m read news >>

UFC-Japan's Jessica Andrade motivated by failed title bid, aiming for KO of Claudia Gadelha

  • 5 days ago
  • 10 views

Rather than letting it deter her, Jessica Andrade says losing her stab at the strawweight title against champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 211 has given her added confidence moving forward.Filed under: read news >>

UFC to debut in Fresno on December 9 with UFC Fight Night 123

  • 9 days ago
  • 2 views

The UFC will invade a new part of California later this year.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas Verbally Agreed to Meet in December | MMAWeekly.com

  • 8 days ago
  • 9 views

It looks like former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is nearing his return to the Octagon. Aldo is currently targeted to fight in December against top five ranked featherweight Ricardo Lamas in read news >>

Return of 'The Natural Born Killer': Carlos Condit lobbies for UFC fight in December or January

  • 6 days ago
  • 12 views

Former interim welterweight champ Carlos Condit emerged on Twitter with a request for UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Report: Rematch between ex-UFC champ Jose Aldo and Ricardo Lamas targeted for December

  • 8 days ago
  • 6 views

According to Brazil’s Combate.com, former featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo will get his wish of a 2017 octagon return.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After first UFC knockout, Gilbert Burns wants lightweights to know he's dangerous everywhere

  • 8 days ago
  • 8 views

Gilbert Burns already had the titles to show for his grappling, but his walk-off knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh should also serve notice.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Spitz says his 24-second knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh was just how he drew it up

  • 8 days ago
  • 12 views

Luck had nothing to do with it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Get To Know TUF Cast: Lauren Murphy

  • 7 days ago
  • 2 views

Lauren Murphy, a former Invicta FC bantamweight champion with four UFC fights to her name, didn’t feel like an MMA veteran earlier this year. Then she joined the cast of The Ultimate Fighter and ever read news >>

Carlos Condit Ready to Book His Return Fight to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

  • 6 days ago
  • 33 views

Carlos Condit is looking for a fight. The former UFC interim welterweight champion, who has been out of action since August 2016, dropped a message on Twitter to matchmaker Sean Shelby letting him kn read news >>