After years of struggling to make weight, Anthony Johnson hasn’t just moved up a division -- he’s moved up two.

Now a light heavyweight, the former welterweight recently joined the Sherdog Radio Network to discuss his new division, his relationship with the UFC and more.

Johnson on when he should have moved to 205: “A long time ago actually. Now that I sit back and think about it, it should have happened a long time ago. But things don’t happen until they’re supposed to happen, so I guess right now is the right time for it to happen.”

On his struggles to make weight: “I thought I could do what I did 10 years ago, like in college and stuff like that early in my career, when I could just lose 15 pounds overnight it seemed like. I always heard my grandparents and older people say your body’s going to change, and you can’t do the things you used to do when you get older. Being young, you don’t think about it. You’re like, ‘Ah, whatever. I can do whatever I want to do.’ Now I’m like, ‘Yeah, I should have listened.’ But I don’t regret it. It was just a learning experience and I don’t have time for mistakes anymore.”

On how he’ll perform at 205: “I’m going to be a fighter that’s more focused, somebody who has 10 times less stress on his head and on his body because I don’t have to worry about how much I have to lose, how much cardio I have to do to make the weight. Now I’m just happy. I’m happy now, smiling every day in the gym.”

On what it will take to get back in the UFC: “I’ve just got to keep beating people up and get back in. That’s always how it is with the UFC. You get put out, you’ve got to work your ass off to get right back in. That’s what I plan on doing. As far as having communication with them, my manager talks to the UFC and Dana [White] and them all the time. He has to -- we’ve got Rashad [Evans] and Alistair [Overeem] on the team and a couple of other UFC fighters, but I don’t try to ask for brownie points or anything like that to get back in the UFC or any favors. I know I have to work my way back in, which I don’t mind doing. I’ll do what I have to do.”

On his plans for the light heavyweight division: “I plan on being elite level. If I can do all right with Alistair and Rashad, hell, I think I can do all right with anybody. … I’m happy. I’m not stressed like I used to be. I’m just ready to just do what I’ve got to do, just have fun and get paid.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:01:09).

Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson rematch headlines UFC 210 in Buffalo

A light heavyweight title fight will headline UFC 210.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson 2 Announced for UFC 210: Details, Reaction

The UFC announced Wednesday that Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson will meet in a rematch of their May 2015 clash at UFC 210 in Buffalo, New York, on April 8. Cormier (18-1) secured a victory via su read news >>

Full media scrum: Donald Cerrone eyes UFC 209 fight, 2017 title shot ahead of UFC on FOX 23

DENVER – Donald Cerrone hasn’t always cared much about wearing a UFC title belt. Truthfully, he still probably doesn’t. But he sure would appreciate the cash that comes along with the accessory.Filed read news >>

10 reasons to watch UFC on FOX 23, where it's moving day for main-card fighters

The UFC hasn’t named its events for quite a while, but if the promotion were still doing so, a fitting tag for Saturday’s card would been something like “UFC on FOX 23: Moving Day.” Each fight on the read news >>

Jon Jones Likely to Face Daniel Cormier-Anthony Johnson Winner, Says Dana White

Jon Jones may have a nice gift waiting for him when he comes back from his yearlong suspension: a UFC light heavyweight championship fight. In an interview on the UFC Unfiltered podcast (h/t FoxSport read news >>

Ben Askren Returns at ONE Championship’s Upcoming Manila Event | MMAWeekly.com

Ben Askren hasn’t had much luck since signing for ONE Championship, but he's slated to kick off 2017 with his next welterweight title defense. read news >>

Conor McGregor: 'I'm Still the Two-Weight World Champ' | MMAWeekly.com

Though the UFC has moved on, its first dual-division champion, Conor McGregor, hasn't. He claims he is still a two-division champion. read news >>

Dana White Admits UFC Created Women's 145 Division for Cris Cyborg | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White has admitted that he created the women's featherweight division for Cris Cyborg. Now that she's on the sidelines, what comes next? read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Tecia Torres admits she's not jazzed about rematching Bec Rawlings

HOUSTON – UFC strawweight Tecia Torres is looking at her resume – not her opponent – as motivation for her upcoming fight. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Anderson Silva is Old, Very Old, but He's Not Retiring | MMAWeekly.com

Anderson Silva readily admits that his years are ratcheting upward, but he's also adamant that he's still not ready to walk away. read news >>