#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Bellator 183 #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Teruto Ishihara

After years of struggling to make weight, Anthony Johnson hasn’t just moved up a division -- he’s moved up two.

Now a light heavyweight, the former welterweight recently joined the Sherdog Radio Network to discuss his new division, his relationship with the UFC and more.

Johnson on when he should have moved to 205: “A long time ago actually. Now that I sit back and think about it, it should have happened a long time ago. But things don’t happen until they’re supposed to happen, so I guess right now is the right time for it to happen.”

On his struggles to make weight: “I thought I could do what I did 10 years ago, like in college and stuff like that early in my career, when I could just lose 15 pounds overnight it seemed like. I always heard my grandparents and older people say your body’s going to change, and you can’t do the things you used to do when you get older. Being young, you don’t think about it. You’re like, ‘Ah, whatever. I can do whatever I want to do.’ Now I’m like, ‘Yeah, I should have listened.’ But I don’t regret it. It was just a learning experience and I don’t have time for mistakes anymore.”

On how he’ll perform at 205: “I’m going to be a fighter that’s more focused, somebody who has 10 times less stress on his head and on his body because I don’t have to worry about how much I have to lose, how much cardio I have to do to make the weight. Now I’m just happy. I’m happy now, smiling every day in the gym.”

On what it will take to get back in the UFC: “I’ve just got to keep beating people up and get back in. That’s always how it is with the UFC. You get put out, you’ve got to work your ass off to get right back in. That’s what I plan on doing. As far as having communication with them, my manager talks to the UFC and Dana [White] and them all the time. He has to -- we’ve got Rashad [Evans] and Alistair [Overeem] on the team and a couple of other UFC fighters, but I don’t try to ask for brownie points or anything like that to get back in the UFC or any favors. I know I have to work my way back in, which I don’t mind doing. I’ll do what I have to do.”

On his plans for the light heavyweight division: “I plan on being elite level. If I can do all right with Alistair and Rashad, hell, I think I can do all right with anybody. … I’m happy. I’m not stressed like I used to be. I’m just ready to just do what I’ve got to do, just have fun and get paid.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:01:09).

Galleries

Anthony Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Floyd Mayweather on Conor McGregor's boxing skills: 'He kind of shocked me'

Floyd Mayweather admits Conor McGregor’s boxing ability surpassed his expectations in “The Money Fight.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor: Results, Breakdown of Historic Fight

Proving a predictable fight can still entertain and exceed expectations, Floyd Mayweather moved to 50-0 on Saturday with a dismissal of Conor McGregor at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Other than the h read news >>

Bellator 182 winner Fernando Gonzalez wants eventual title shot, but knows weight comes first

Fernando Gonzalez moved to an impressive 7-1 in Bellator this past Friday, but knows he has to get his weight cuts figured out, and soon.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

UFC strawweight Tecia Torres wants a fight with Michelle Waterson

UFC women’s strawweight Tecia Torres wants to fight Michelle Waterson, but so far “The Karate Hottie” hasn’t responded.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

A Favorite Advances and an Injury Could Eliminate a Contestant: The Ultimate Fighter 26 Recap | MMAWeekly.com

Another fighter moved one step closer to becoming the inaugural UFC women's 125-pound champion on the second episode of The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion. No. 4 seed DeAnna Bennett advanced read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko Promises "Everything I Have" at UFC 215

Valentina Shevchenko has moved beyond the frustrations of her postponed bout against Amanda Nunes, and is laser-focused on her chance to grab the women's bantamweight belt at UFC 215. Order UFC 215 n read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Walks Through Neil Magny (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos moved up to the welterweight division for his last fight after suffering back-to-back losses in the 155-pound division. He defeated Tarec Saffiedine in Ju read news >>

Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov moved from Brazil to UFC on FOX 26 in Canada

Brazil’s loss is Canada’s gain as Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov has been moved to Winnipeg.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Admits Pressure Drove Him Out of the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

When Georges St-Pierre walked away from mixed martial arts four years ago, it wasn't because his body was broken. He had a black cloud over his head. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Moved to UFC 216 in Las Vegas | MMAWeekly.com

Demetrious Johnson won't have to wait long to fight for history after all. The reigning flyweight champion will look for his 11th consecutive title defense when he faces Ray Borg at UFC 216 in Las Ve read news >>