MENU
#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #UFC 215


When the news of UFC 151's cancellation reached middleweight champion Anderson Silva in Brazil, his only thought was what could he do to help?

Silva immediately called his manager Ed Soares in the United States and asked him what was going on, and if he could step into a fight to help save the show.

“He goes, ‘Hey, I just heard the show was potentially going to be cancelled,’ and I said yeah it’s true, it got cancelled. He goes, ‘Well, call Dana and tell him that I’m not in fighting shape, so I can’t make 185. I can’t make my 185 weight, but I’d be willing to step up and fight a 205er on eight days notice if it’s going to help save the event,’” Sores revealed when speaking with MMAWeekly Radio.

“He goes, ‘I’m not prepared to take on Jon Jones because I haven’t been training, so I don’t think I’m ready for a championship bout, but I definitely would fight any other 205-pounder who is willing to step up and take the challenge.’”

Unfortunately, the UFC’s decision to cancel the event had already been made by the time Silva found out about it, so his offer came in just a bit too late to save the show. UFC president Dana White was very appreciative of the offer, no matter what eventually happened.

“I gave Dana a call and he was just like, ‘Wow, I never expected that, but tell him thank you. I wish I would have known that 24 hours ago,’” said Soares.

As the longest reigning champion in UFC history, Anderson Silva has stepped up and helped the company in the past, but this wasn’t about the UFC this time.

Silva’s reason for stepping up on only eight days notice was about helping out the fighters on the undercard because he’s walked in their shoes before, and he knows how important it can be to fight when you’re scheduled to fight.

“His biggest concern was really the other fighters. He said, ‘Ed, I remember when I was at that level of fighter where some of these undercard guys were, and the difference in paying your rent and putting food on the table was whether you were going to fight or not,’ and he said if there’s anything he could do to help the other fighters, he would step up and do it,” said Soares.

“The thing that hit closest to home to him was just simply the other fighters not getting the opportunity to earn their living.”

Many of the undercard fighters from UFC 151 have expressed some hardships endured following the cancellation of the event. Most of the competitors have been shifted to other cards, but the sting of losing a paycheck on Sept. 1 still hurts.

Since UFC 151 didn’t work out, Silva will now await word on his next opponent, which will likely be scheduled during 2013.

For more news and rumors make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

  • 7 months ago
  • 6419 views

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

Nunes Seeks 2nd Title Defense vs. Shevchenko in UFC 215 Main Event

  • 12 days ago
  • 1 views

Two months after title fight was cancelled the morning of the fight, Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko are finally ready for their rematch with the women's bantamweight championship on the line i read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

  • 15 days ago
  • 9 views

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Cancelled as UFC 215 Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

  • 12 days ago
  • 72 views

Demetrious Johnson will have to wait a little longer if he wants to break the all time record for title defenses in the UFC. The main event for Saturday night's UFC 215 card in Canada between Johnson read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Reportedly Canceled as UFC 215 Main Event

  • 12 days ago
  • 62 views

Ray Borg and Demetrious Johnson will reportedly not be fighting in Saturday's main event at UFC 215 in Edmonton, Canada. On Thursday, Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting reported Borg had to withdraw from read news >>

Twitter reacts to Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg UFC 215 main event cancellation

  • 12 days ago
  • 74 views

Check out how Twitter reacted to the stunning news of Ray Borg’s withdrawal from the UFC 215 main event vs. Demetrious Johnson. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Coach: Demetrious Johnson 'beyond disappointed' in Ray Borg's UFC 215 title-fight withdrawal

  • 12 days ago
  • 34 views

Although disappointed, Demetrious Johnson’s head coach Matt Hume responded to Ray Borg’s late UFC 215 title-fight withdrawal with class.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC issues statement on 'viral illness' that forced Ray Borg out of UFC 215; refunds available

  • 12 days ago
  • 317 views

The UFC has officially ruled Ray Borg out Saturday’s UFC 215 main event vs. Demetrious Johnson, citing a “viral illness.” Refunds are available to ticket-buyers.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Not Interested in UFC 215? Blame Dana White.

  • 12 days ago
  • 5 views

If there existed a Promoter's Rulebook, somewhere among the first few rules listed would be:"Do not bury your athletes, no matter how angry they make you.*"And down at the bottom of the page, in a ti read news >>

For What It's Worth, UFC 215 Finds Demetrious Johnson on Cusp of History

  • 12 days ago
  • 3 views

Provided he defeats Ray Borg on Saturday in the main event of UFC 215, Demetrious Johnson will finally break Anderson Silva's longstanding record for consecutive UFC title defenses. This milestone ob read news >>

UFC 215 early weigh-in results and live video stream (11 a.m. ET)

  • 11 days ago
  • 49 views

Check out the results from today’s early and official UFC 215 fighter weigh-ins in Edmonton.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>