#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #Fight One #Dustin Poirier #Anthony Pettis #TJ Dillashaw #Fabricio Werdum #Colby Covington

Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen at UFC 148The first thought that usually comes to mind when thinking about Anderson Silva is the legacy he’s built as the greatest UFC champion to ever compete in the Octagon.

Silva has gone undefeated with a perfect 15-0 record, but some might forget that before he was the greatest ever he was a 17-4 mixed martial artist trying to find the right spot in the sport.

He bounced from promotion to promotion picking up fights, and at the time he never imagined the path that he would one day walk that would turn into the proverbial golden brick road.

“I never thought this, I just wanted to be as good as my coaches because at that time things weren’t as glamorous as they are now. We only had one event which was Pride and they didn’t have my category, there wasn’t my division, you didn’t have my weight class in Pride. So, I always try to find my space, try to be better than I am everyday, but I didn’t have this thing of being a champion, so I just wanted to be better than I used to be the day before,” Silva said on Thursday.

“Now that I’m here I’m aware there’s a lot of responsibility behind this and I remember everyday where I came from, where I am and where I intend to get to.”

Silva had to earn his spot to even land in the UFC, but once he got there he left the middleweight division and a couple of light heavyweights in the wake of his destruction like something out of a Terminator film.

Getting there was tough, but Silva says maintaining his spot as the best in the world has been even tougher.

“I think staying where we are, at the time where we are, to just continue winning to remain as the champion is more difficult,” Silva stated.

“Until you get here you find many problems that you face, you have many difficulties, but I’m lucky that everything has worked out.”

There is a certain hunger that a fighter needs to scratch, claw and climb their way to the top, but it takes an even deeper devotion to being the best to stay there.

Silva’s reign as middleweight champion will have lasted six years as of Oct 14, 2012 with 10 consecutive defenses. No other fighter has even come close to that in UFC history, and it’s a mark that every champion will aspire to reach.

It’s taken a lifetime of dedication for Silva to stay on top, and if he has his way, things won’t be changing any time soon.

“I think the most difficult thing is to stay there. People are demanding things from you all the time, you always have to be focused, and concentrated for anything that might happen,” Silva said.

“It’s always much more difficult to stay there at the top than to get there.”

Make sure to check all of the interviews, articles and videos from UFC 153 on MMAWeekly.com

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 9 months ago

Comments

Brian Kelleher wants to stay busy after UFC-Gdansk win; how about John Lineker in December?

It’s the end of the year, but Brian Kelleher would rather not slow down.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC vet Thompson knows he has to continue to evolve

"To stay at the top of the game, especially with the new up and comers coming up, you gotta keep evolving. You’ve got to think that you can do better. That’s the mentality you have to have," Thompson read news >>

How will Paul Felder stay unbiased calling teammate Anthony Pettis at UFC-Norfolk? Let him explain

Paul Felder discusses the challenge of doing commentary for teammate Anthony Pettis, who meets Dustin Poirier in UFC Fight Night 120’s main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping suffered one of the toughest losses of his UFC career at UFC 217, dropping the middleweight championship to Georges St-Pierre after getting choked out cold. So how is the Brit recover read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum UFC Shanghai Media Call | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) After Anderson Silva was pulled from the UFC Shanghai main event because of a potential anti-doping violation, Michael Bisping agreed to step into the fight with Kelvin Gastelum wit read news >>

Michael Bisping Agrees to Replace Anderson Silva at UFC China | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has agreed to step in for fellow former titleholder Anderson Silva at UFC Fight Night 122. Silva was slated to meet Kelvin Gastelum in the event's hea read news >>

Anderson Silva flagged for potential doping violation, pulled from UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva has been notified of a potential violation of the UFC’s anti-doping policy and has been pulled from a planned UFC Fight Night 122 headliner with Kelvin Gastelum.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anderson Silva flagged for potential doping violation, pulled from fight with Kelvin Gastelum | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been flagged for a potential doping violation from USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) and pulled from his upcoming fight against Kelvin Gaste read news >>

Anderson Silva Out of Kelvin Gastelum Fight After Possible Failed Drug Test

UFC announced Friday that Anderson Silva has been removed from his scheduled fight against Kelvin Gastelum at UFC Fight Night on Nov. 25 in Shanghai, China, due to a potential anti-doping policy viol read news >>