Zoila_Frausto_GurgelAt one time Zoila “Warrior Princess” Frausto-Gurgel was the shining star of Bellator’s female MMA division, but following an acrimonious parting of ways, she is ready to move on to new challenges with a new promotion.

“For me it was really a blessing in disguise,” said Gurgel of her split with Bellator. “There were a lot of things that happened, a lot of things were said, a lot of things were done and not done, and I was more than happy to be able to walk away from it all just to be with Invicta FC.

“It’s such a relief for me to be with a promotion that cares so much about their fighters and appreciates the hard work we put in as much as Invicta does. Just to be able to be with them and fight for them is an amazing thing for me and I’m more than happy to go to work.”

Not only is Gurgel starting off a new year with a new promotion, she is ready to debut a new version of herself when she steps into the cage on April 5 in Kansas City against Jennifer Maia at Invicta FC 5.

“I don’t want to say it’s completely different, but I’ve evolved from just being a striker to becoming a better-rounded mixed martial artist,” said Gurgel. “It will be a little bit different than what people are used to, but a better different.”

When it comes to her opponent on April 5, Jennifer Maia, Gurgel told MMAWeekly.com that she feels no matter what happens she will be able to outclass her opponent at every turn.

“She looks to be a tough girl,” said Gurgel of Maia. “I’m sure I’m going to see the best Jennifer Maia that there ever has been.

“I’ve prepared on the feet and on the ground as well, but when it comes to being a complete mixed martial artist, I believe I have the upper edge in everything across the entire fight. I expect her to come her best, but it’s not going to be good enough.”

Gurgel feels now in a new promotion and without all the baggage that has followed her over the last couple of years, it will free her to be more of the fighter she wants to be moving forward.

“There was always pressure before with people wondering when I was going to lose or if I was going to continue to win,” said Gurgel. “After that’s gone with the worst loss I possibly could have had, it’s actually nice, it’s a good feeling to be able to do whatever I want to do and fight the way I want to and be free.

“I love to do this, and especially in Invicta, where it’s an amazing thing to feel actually wanted by a promotion. They want me there and want to see me do well and that’s what I’m going to do.”

With new skills in a new promotion comes a new goal: to be the first woman to be crowned the best in two different weight classes.

“I started with the goal of being the best in the world,” said Gurgel. “I did it at 115 pounds and now moving up a weight division I want to be the first woman to do it in two divisions.

“Jennifer Maia is standing in my way, so I’ll go out there and get that done, and then my goal remains of getting that 125-pound belt in Invicta by the end of the year.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

'King Mo' sees 'Rampage' rematch at Bellator 175 as 'revenge of the judges'

Muhammad “King Mo” Lawal has an interesting approach to his rematch with Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at Bellator 175 next month.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Ex-WWE star, Bellator's Bobby Lashley wants Fedor Emelianenko, sees no shot of Brock Lesnar fight

• 3 hours ago

Bobby Lashley will get back in the cage at Bellator 179 in May. It just won’t be against the man he wants to face most.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Watch the Bellator 172 Post-Fight Press Conference Live After the Event | MMAWeekly.com

The big winners from tonight's Bellator 172: Fedor vs. Mitrione fight card will field questions from the media following the event. read news >>

Bellator 172 main event between Fedor Emelianenko, Matt Mitrione scratched

The highly anticipated Bellator debut of Fedor Emelianenko will have to wait.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Matt Mitrione Bellator 172 Fight Canceled

Saturday night's Bellator 172 has a new main event because the anticipated heavyweight showdown between Matt Mitrione and Fedor Emelianenko has been canceled. Bellator president Scott Coker announced read news >>

Fedor vs. Matt Mitrione Bellator Bout Canceled | MMAWeekly.com

Saturday night's Bellator 172 main event between Fedor Emelianenko and Matt Mitrione has been canceled. read news >>

Bellator boss Scott Coker: Fedor Emelianenko eyes May or June for new fight, possibly in San Jose

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Bellator President Scott Coker admits he's just as disappointed as you are that Fedor Emelianenko didn't fight on Saturday night, but he promises "The Last Emperor" will fight for read news >>

Patricky 'Pitbull' Knocks Out Josh Thomson; Josh Koscheck KO'd in Debut (Bellator 172 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Patricky "Pitbull" Freire demolished Josh "The Punk" Thomson with a forearm uppercut in the second round to earn the biggest victory of his career on Saturday in San Jose, Calif. read news >>

Thomson vs. Freire Results: Winner, Scorecard and Reaction from Bellator 172

It wasn't the main event that people expected, but Patricky "Pitbull" Freire made Saturday night his at Bellator 172, defeating Josh "The Punk" Thomson via second-round TKO at SAP Center in San Jose, read news >>

Bellator 172: Fedor vs. Mitrione Post-Fight Press Conference Replay | MMAWeekly.com

Fedor and the big winners from the Bellator 172: Fedor vs. Mitrione fight card fielded questions from the media following the event in San Jose, Calif. read news >>