#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #Saturday Night Fights #David Branch #Nate Diaz #GGG #DWTNCS #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

Much has been made of Jeremy Stephens’ arrest last week and the fact that he couldn’t compete at UFC on FX 5, but opponent Yves Edwards didn’t get to fight either.

“I was actually expecting and hoping that he would show up,” Edwards told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show. “It really wasn’t until after the fact, when I read all the things going on and I heard about everything, it made sense that that wouldn’t happen. This is not the good old days. It’s not the Wild West. These things take time, and things happen and that’s just not realistic. But at the time I thought it was a very good possibility, especially with the people that were working on making it happen.”

Even after Stephens was arrested the morning of the bout in connection to a 2011 assault charge, UFC President Dana White reassured fans that the fight would happen. However, his attempts to get Stephens released ultimately failed and the fight was canceled.

“I like the guy,” Edwards said of Stephens. “We hung out a little last summer. He’s a cool dude. For his sake, I guess I just really want to see this work out for the best. I don’t know the details. Nobody really does, but if he’s not at fault, then I hope it all gets worked out.”

Edwards said he was paid his show money, but he believes he and Stephens also would have won a “Fight of the Night” bonus had they been able to meet in the Octagon.

“It was good to get paid, especially for not having to perform, but at the same time … I was pretty sure the fight that we would have to be more entertaining than [to win ‘Fight of the Night’] would have been Diego Nunes and Bart Palaszewski,” Edwards said. “That was a really good fight. Diego looked really good, but it was a pretty one-sided affair. If we went out and we had a war, it would have been a pretty entertaining war. I’m confident in saying that we would have at least got ‘Fight of the Night.’”

Instead the veteran fighter has been left to hope he’ll get another bout on an upcoming card.

“I definitely want to fight again as soon as possible because I put in all this work and I’m in good shape right now,” Edwards said. “A little heavy because I was gone for the weekend and I knew there was nothing coming up, but I can be back to fight weight in a day or two. I can make weight in less than a week. But at the same time, getting a new opponent and understanding that this is a business now, it would be nice to be able to prepare for a specific guy, but that’s just because it’s a business. At the same time, I just want to fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 32:59).

Comments

Bobby Moffett Expects 'Fight of the Night' in LFA 20 Co-Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Bobby Moffett (9-2) will finally get to have his first fight of the year when he takes on Nate Jennerman (9-2) in the LFA 20 co-main event on August 25. read news >>

Don't mind Conor McGregor, who enjoyed sipping whiskey after losing to Floyd Mayweather

The fact that he was TKO’d by Floyd Mayweather did not seem to dampen Conor McGregor’s spirit.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Lauzon meets Guida in November FOTY candidate

With 13 combined Fight of the Night awards, lightweight veterans Joe Lauzon and Clay Guida have earned their stripes as two of the UFC's all-time leading action heroes. On Nov. 11, the two will final read news >>

Volkov and Struve Go Toe-to-Toe, Take Fight of the Night Honors (UFC Rotterdam Bonuses) | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC's return to Rotterdam wasn't the splashiest of fight cards, but it delivered with numerous finishes and exciting battles. Proving their worth as the headlining bout, heavyweight contenders Al read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Flattens Rony Jason (UFC KO of the Week Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens is back in action at UFC 215, but first check out his brutal knockout of Rony Jason on the Brazilian's home turf. read news >>

Reinvented Gilbert Melendez seeks 'historic fight' with Jeremy Stephens at UFC 215

Wins and losses be damned: Gilbert Melendez is going to stick to his roots when fighting fellow brawler Jeremy Stephens at UFC 215.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding to fight Gilbert Melendez at UFC 215

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding, which is why he hopes to make Gilbert Melendez’s first night as a featherweight miserable.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 results: Vicious Jeremy Stephens low kicks destroy Gilbert Melendez

Gilbert Melendez once again proved his durability in the cage, but he’d probably just as soon forget all about his featherweight debut against Jeremy Stephens.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Dominates Gilbert Melendez (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

No. 8 ranked featherweight Jeremy Stephens kicked off the UFC 215 main card with a dominating performance against former lightweight title challenger Gilbert Melendez. Stephens' leg kicks were the st read news >>

UFC 215 bonuses: Rafael dos Anjos, Henry Cejudo haul in $50K extra for impressive wins

“Fight of the Night” honors also went to Jeremy Stephens and Gilbert Melendez,Filed under: News, UFC read news >>