#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Bellator 183 #Gokhan Saki #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Paul Daley #Takanori Gomi #Teruto Ishihara

Yves Edwards knew that Jeremy Stephens hits hard, but he also knew he’d leave himself open at some point during their bout Saturday at UFC on Fox 5.

“The thing I took from studying tape on him is that he loads up on his punches,” Edwards told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Yeah, he hits hard … but I think the confidence in his power makes him try to use it every time. He tries to kill. He tries to win the football game with one throw.”

Edwards, on the other hand, also hits hard but picks his shots. Less than two minutes into the fight, he floored Stephens with a short right hook and then finished him on the ground. It was the first time Stephens had been knocked out.

“I feel really comfortable countering guys, to throw punches when he’s throwing punches but getting out of the way at the same time,” Edwards said. “I just wanted to get his timing down. The shot, I threw it intentionally. I wanted to hit him hard, and it was just a perfect shot. It got there at a good time. I was still trying to work his timing out as far as when he tenses up and he’s ready to go. I kind of could see that, but I didn’t know I was going to clip him with that and shut him down. I knew I was going to hit him, but the force of my punch and him running into it is what brought him down.”

The fight lasted long enough for Edwards to get a taste of Stephens’ power. It was real, no doubt, but it was also far from the first time a veteran like Edwards had been matched against an opponent who can punch.

“It wasn’t a clean shot, but a little bit of it got through and I felt it,” Edwards said of one of Stephens’ strikes. “It felt like he has a lot of power, but I’ve fought a lot of guys over the years and I can go way back. I’ve fought a lot of guys with some power. … It wasn’t something that was scary to me, but it was nice to know where he stood and what he was bringing to the table.”

Edwards brought more Saturday, and now he’s looking to tie a few more wins together and possibly make another title run. The 36-year-old could have been a UFC champion in 2004, but his spectacular knockout of Josh Thomson ended up being a non-title affair when Zuffa decided to put the lightweight division on pause. Edwards is hoping for another shot.

“I don’t do this for any other reason,” he said. “I want to be the best that I could possibly be, and if the best that I can be is a champion, then I’m going to keep pushing for that. I know my window’s closing and I know there’s a lot of young guys coming up that are really, really good, but I want to try to get as high as I possibly can.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:09:20).

Comments

Dana White: 'Not the Fight I was Expecting' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White felt like the fight that Conor McGregor fought against Floyd Mayweather was something different than he expected. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Flattens Rony Jason (UFC KO of the Week Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens is back in action at UFC 215, but first check out his brutal knockout of Rony Jason on the Brazilian's home turf. read news >>

Reinvented Gilbert Melendez seeks 'historic fight' with Jeremy Stephens at UFC 215

Wins and losses be damned: Gilbert Melendez is going to stick to his roots when fighting fellow brawler Jeremy Stephens at UFC 215.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding to fight Gilbert Melendez at UFC 215

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding, which is why he hopes to make Gilbert Melendez’s first night as a featherweight miserable.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 results: Vicious Jeremy Stephens low kicks destroy Gilbert Melendez

Gilbert Melendez once again proved his durability in the cage, but he’d probably just as soon forget all about his featherweight debut against Jeremy Stephens.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Dominates Gilbert Melendez (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

No. 8 ranked featherweight Jeremy Stephens kicked off the UFC 215 main card with a dominating performance against former lightweight title challenger Gilbert Melendez. Stephens' leg kicks were the st read news >>

Jeremy Stephens would love to fight Jose Aldo – just not in November (and understandably so)

UFC 215’s Jeremy Stephens would love to fight ex-champ Jose Aldo – just not in November. He’s already pushed back his wedding.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 post-event facts: Which fighter tied an 11-year-old UFC record?

Jeremy Stephens tied a UFC record that was set in 2006 with a dominant victory over Gilbert Melendez. Check out all of the post-event facts from UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

GSP Meets His Childhood Bully on the Street, Turns His Life Around

Georges St-Pierre wasn’t always the great warrior he is today. In fact, the warrior spirit that pushed him to become the greatest welterweight of all time, and to soon return for a middleweight title read news >>

Sam Sicilia 'felt really heard' during Bellator contract negotiations, aims to start winning again

If contract negotiations were any indication, Sam Sicilia believes he’s going to settle in just fine with Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>