#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo

Yuri Villefort has a lot he wants to share.

One of the welterweight division's top prospects, Villefort was supposed to make his Strikeforce debut alongside his older brother Danillo at Challengers 16 on June 24. However, injuries forced both brothers off of the event and forced the younger Villefort onto an operating table to repair his damaged left knee.

The fighter is documenting his recovery through a series of online video blogs, with a new episode appearing on his official website each week.

“People think that [MMA] is just about getting in there and fighting, but we're going to show people that there are a lot more things involved, like [managing your] stress and taking care of your family while training and dealing with injuries,” Villefort told Sherdog.com. “We'll have doctors talking about what happened with my injury. We have me doing the rehab, training and hopefully fighting some [in the videos].”

Villefort's initially suffered a minor injury to his anterior-cruciate ligament last year, but rather than undergo surgery at the time, he elected to continue training. Only weeks before his Strikeforce debut, the welterweight felt his knee give way, leaving him with surgery as his only option.

“I just did a little rehab and then started training again for this fight [on June 24]. I felt sometimes my knee was a little weak. In a sparring session, I twisted my knee, and the ACL was gone. So was the meniscus,” said Villefort, who will be sidelined for approximately three months.

“The surgery was a success. Everything went perfect. I had a great doctor, and he fully took care of me. The swelling is gone. Let's get ready, you know? Let's get ready to fight.”

As he educates fans on his recovery, Villefort also hopes to shed light on his family life and his relationship with his brother Danillo and their father, Brazilian vale tudo pioneer Francisco Silva.

“My family is all here to help me out and support me. A lot of people don't know about my family, but everybody respects my dad. He's a legend. He used to fight in the early '60s, training together with master Carlson [Gracie],” said Villefort. “My dad, he did everything for us. He helped us in the beginning, and he's really my inspiration. I never saw him fight; I just saw pictures. But when I go in the cage, I go in there to be like my dad.

“[My brother and I] are real cool. We know how to talk to each other, and we don't have any problems. We just like to push ourselves together and try to be the No. 1 family in MMA.”

As mentioned, Villefort is widely regarded as one of the welterweight divisions most promising up-and-comers. Though that distinction carries with it a great deal of weight, Villefort asserts that he is focused only on what lies in his future.

“I was shocked [at how highly people rated me]. I thought, 'Things are really going [places],' you know? But now, I don't feel that it's a good thing. Being the No. 1 prospect is not my goal. [My] short term goal is to be champion in Strikeforce. Then, we'll see how life goes on.”

Comments

Frank Trigg marvels at ex-UFC rival Matt Hughes' remarkable recovery from horrific accident

Frank Trigg “can’t say enough good things” about Matt Hughes’ continued progress following a truck-train accident in June.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182's Joey Davis' modest goals for MMA career? 'I want to be the next big thing'

Four-time NCAA Division II national champion and unbeaten wrestler Joey Davis already is daring to dream big ahead of Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 26 Debut: Roxanne Modafferi Dominates in First Fight | MMAWeekly.com

When the Ultimate Fighting Championship brought in the women's 115-pound division in 2014, the promotion held a tournament on The Ultimate Fighter 20 to crown the inaugural strawweight champion. They read news >>

Michael Johnson Dropping to Featherweight, Wants to Face Jose Aldo | MMAWeekly.com

Ninth-ranked lightweight Michael Johnson wants to drop down to the featherweight division to take on 'new face,' and wants to fight former champion Jose Aldo. read news >>

Video: Before UFC 215 title defense, watch Amanda Nunes' wild 1-rounder with Sheila Gaff

After an uneven run with Strikeforce and Invicta FC, Amanda Nunes arrived in the UFC in 2013 with a wild promotional debut against Sheila Gaff.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Former UFC Champ Germaine de Randamie Undergoes Successful Hand Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

Germaine de Randamie is on the road to recovery after having hand surgery this week. The former UFC women's featherweight champion posted a photo on her Instagram account after going through the surg read news >>

UFC 215's Ilir Latifi not ready to judge Jon Jones during turbulent time for 205-pound division

Regardless of what happens with Jon Jones, Ilir Latifi believes the UFC light heavyweight division will thrive.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Amanda Nunes: 'I Must Finish Valentina Shevchenko' | MMAWeekly.com

Women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes is ready to make another statement to the division versus challenger Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215. read news >>

UFC 215 results: Alex White picks apart, devastates Mitch Clarke on the feet

In his second fight in the UFC’s lightweight division, former featherweight Alex White shined, dominating Mitch Clarke on the feet en route to a second-round stoppage.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Walks Through Neil Magny (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos moved up to the welterweight division for his last fight after suffering back-to-back losses in the 155-pound division. He defeated Tarec Saffiedine in Ju read news >>