#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #Saturday Night Fights #David Branch #GGG #Nate Diaz #DWTNCS #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

TOKYO -- Japanese entertainment management group J-Rock announced Monday that it will host a one-time MMA event called “Astra” dedicated to the retirement of J-Rock client Hidehiko Yoshida.

The show will be held at the 14,000-seat Nippon Budokan in Tokyo on April 25. Yoshida, a 1992 Olympic judo gold medalist and Japanese MMA superstar, will headline against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

“As a long-time judo athlete, the Nippon Budokan is a very special venue for me,” Yoshida said. “There's something special about ending my career there.”

Yoshida indicated physical deterioration over the course of his nearly eight-year career as the impetus behind his retirement decision.

“I wanted to announce my retirement on New Year's Eve, but so many things were happening with Dynamite and Sengoku that I just couldn't do it then,” he said. “As I continued fighting, I was feeling sorry for the fans that came out and paid to see me, even though I could not physically perform at my very best to satisfy them.”

The card will also feature a host of Yoshida's pupils: UFC and Pride veteran Kazuhiro Nakamura, 2000 Sydney Games judo gold medalist Makoto Takimoto, standout featherweight Michihiro Omigawa and unbeaten prospect Tatsunao Nagakura.

J-Rock President and former World Victory Road Director Takahiro Kokuho stated that Astra would feature nine or 10 bouts and could include fighters from other promotions such as Dream or Strikeforce.

“There are so many fighters I'd like to fight against,” Yoshida said. “I don't know if my wish will come true, but my most interesting fight was against Wanderlei Silva. I know it wouldn't be possible now, but I'd like to have a retirement bout as exciting as that one was against whomever I do end up fighting.”

One of 2009's breakout fighters, Yoshida understudy Michihiro Omigawa tabbed WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Dream featherweight champion Bibiano Fernandes as the fighters he would most like to face.

Broadcast details for Astra were also tentative. Kokuho claimed to be working out a deal with Japanese premium cable network Skyperfect TV for a pay-per-view broadcast. Kokuho also said he is planning to broadcast the event internationally, but he could not comment on specifics.

Comments

Mayweather vs. McGregor Odds: Latest Fight Lines for Money vs. Notorious

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will come out of retirement to face UFC superstar Conor McGregor in a boxing megafight in Las Vegas on Saturday. Notorious is switching fight codes and will make his professional read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Should Accept Retirement Instead of Conor McGregor Rematch

Floyd Mayweather Jr. was long heralded as the favorite to trump Conor McGregor in Saturday's boxing megafight at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, and he lived up to that billing by downing the UFC lightw read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Decision: Judges' Scorecard and Round-by-Round Stats

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will sail into his third retirement with his perfect boxing record intact. The former five-division world champion earned his 50th win in as many professional bouts with a techni read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Decision: Judges' Scorecard and Round-by-Round Stats

Floyd Mayweather Should Accept Retirement Instead of Conor McGregor Rematch

Floyd Mayweather giving his word on retirement: 'Any guy that's calling me out? Forget it'

After reaching a historic 50-0 mark, Floyd Mayweather says UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor was his last opponent.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC and 7-Eleven, Inc. Sign Sponsorship Agreement

UFC®, the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization, today announced a new agreement with 7-Eleven®, the world’s largest convenience store chain, in which the industry-leader will serve as the read news >>

UFC Refund Fans for Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor Pay-Per-View Problems

The UFC has announced it will refund fans who were unable to watch Conor McGregor's fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday due to technical difficulties. UFC President Dana White released a stat read news >>

Management group settles with Leslie Smith, moves suit against Nate Diaz to federal court

A management lawsuit has been settled against UFC women’s bantamweight Leslie Smith, but Nate Diaz is now being sued in federal court. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC and Kitman Labs Launch Innovative Sports Science Program

UFC® and Kitman Labs® today announced a multi-year partnership to deliver an innovative sports science and medicine program to all athletes competing under the UFC banner as they visit the UFC Perfor read news >>