#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Jon Jones #Michael Bisping #UFC 215

Nick Newell XFCAfter winning his first six fights in under two minutes each, XFC lightweight prospect Nick “Notorious” Newell was in for a decidedly more difficult time in his last bout this past April versus Chris Coggins.

For the first time in his career, Newell went the full three rounds, and while he managed to pull off the victory, he acknowledges how dire things became during the fight.

“Basically that second round I just got killed,” he said. “I learned a lot about myself. I’m kind of proud of myself for not tapping out. Most people probably would have, but I kind of pushed through and showed people my heart.

“Definitely Chris was a very tough fighter. I don’t think I performed to my full potential, but I needed that fight. I learned more from that fight than I had from all my previous fights combined. It was good to have that war, and luckily I came out on top.”

Newell will hope to capitalize on what he’s learned from his last fight as he heads into XFC 19 in Charlotte, N.C., against David Mays on Aug. 3 in a feature bout to air live on AXS TV.

“It’s another tough fight; I’m not getting any easy fights in the XFC,” said Newell. “(Mays) is a short, pretty stocky guy, and he looks strong and like he’s a pretty good wrestler, but I doubt he’s as good at wrestling as I am. I think wherever the fight goes; I’m going to out-class him.

“Technically-speaking, I’m better standing up and on the ground. He’s tough because he’s always in good shape and always moves forward, so I’ll be ready for that.”

Newell has earned a bit of attention for competing with only one full arm (the other being amputated below his elbow), which could lead people to wonder if his opponents underestimate him. As Newell puts it, if anyone underestimates him, it’s on them and he’s more than happy to take advantage of it.

“I’m going to be in his face. I’m going to be on him. So he’s going to be ready for a different type of fight than my last one, where I kind of sat back,” said Newell. “If he comes at me too careless, I’m going to catch him.

“You can underestimate me all you want, it doesn’t bother me one bit. I’m still going to come and try to take your head off.”

Still in the early stages of his career, Newell told MMAWeekly.com that for now all he wants to do is continue to compete and work his way up the ranks. Whatever comes after is fine with him, he’s just happy being able to live out his dream.

“I just kind of go wherever the path takes me,” he said. “The XFC picked me up when nobody really gave me a chance and I appreciate the opportunity. They do a great job and they’ve proven that they are a great league to fight for.

“I just look forward to fighting tougher and tougher fighters. I can definitely compete with anyone in the world; no matter whoever (it is), I’m ready.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

How former Conor McGregor foes reacted to TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather

See what some of Conor McGregor’s former opponents thought of his TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather in “The Money Fight.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko's bobblehead is wearing the 'Glorious Sweater of Absolute Victory,' and it's perfect

There’s only one word to describe this Fedor Emelianenko bobblehead: glorious.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Ray Borg on Demetrious Johnson: 'He's More Vulnerable Than People Think' | MMAWeekly.com

10 opponents have tried and 10 have failed to wrestle away the flyweight title from current champion Demetrious Johnson. On Saturday night at UFC 215, Johnson will look for No. 11 as he attempts to b read news >>

Ex-WSOF title challenger Nick Newell returns from retirement, signs multi-fight deal with LFA

Nearly two years after surprising the MMA world with a sudden retirement after a win at WSOF 24, ex-title challenger Nick Newell is back.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Nick Newell, Former WSOF Title Challenger, Returns from Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

Former World Series of Fighting lightweight championship challenger Nick Newell has ended a two-year retirement to return to the cage. read news >>

One-Handed Fighter Nick Newell to Come out of Retirement for Pro MMA Bout

Nick Newell, the MMA lightweight who fights with only one fully functional arm due to congenital amputation, will return to the cage after more than two years in retirement. Despite the fact that New read news >>

Two years after quitting MMA due to injuries, Nick Newell is coming back – and taking a big risk

Two years ago, Nick Newell suddenly retired from MMA, and after a victory, at the age of 29. Now he says he’s finally healthy enough to return, and he doesn’t want to live with the regret of leaving read news >>

Donald Cerrone, in 'new-age Tombstone outfit,' talks new film, Ray Borg, not studying opponents

Donald Cerrone is a many of many talents and opinions.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Behold Mike Perry, the UFC's Unlikeliest Rising Star

Mike Perry indulges his violent side. He's finished three of four UFC opponents viciously. He's boxed professionally. He's been to jail. It is absolutely not up for debate that when it's time to fall read news >>

Kamaru Usman Admits It's 'Frustrating' Asking for Top 10 Opponents and Never Getting Them | MMAWeekly.com

Kamaru Usman would love to fight a top 10 opponent. That's the message the former "Ultimate Fighter" winner continued to pass along to the UFC matchmakers after each of his wins inside the Octagon bu read news >>