#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Nick Diaz #Robbie Lawler

Holly HolmFollowing a year and a half layoff from MMA, boxing champion Holly “Preacher’s Daughter” Holm returned to the sport this past February with a second-round TKO stoppage of Katie Merrill at Bellator 91.

The win not only signified Holm’s return to MMA, but also helped her realize that her future lay in this sport rather than in the one she had accomplished so much in.

“I had two (MMA) fights in 2011 and had been wanting to get back since then,” said Holm. “It was just a great opportunity and actually after that (Bellator) fight and the next boxing match (against Mary McGee in May) I told my coach I was done with boxing.

“I’m just really excited about MMA and I feel like I’ve improved a lot and I’m excited about the fight coming up. I want to take what doors are open and make the best of it. When I felt like my passion for boxing was fading, I decided to make the full jump over.”

Holm (3-0) will look to remain undefeated in MMA as takes on Allanna Jones (2-2) in her promotional debut at Legacy FC 21 in Houston on Friday night. The event airs live on AXS TV.

“I think she’s pretty composed, confident and has had challenges already in her career. So I feel like any time you fight someone like that, it’s a threat,” said Holm of Jones. “She’s not afraid to get in there and has the confidence in herself to do well, so I think that’s the biggest thing to fear in her is her confidence.

“I don’t like to look too much into an exact plan, because you never know what’s going to happen. We have a Plan A and a Plan B and we’ll see how things go.”

With such a storied background in boxing, it would be easy for people to label Holm a one-dimensional fighter, but she told MMAWeekly.com that assessment couldn’t be further from the truth.

“I think I have a lot more that people haven’t seen,” she said. “I think I’m improving every day. It’s not going to happen overnight by any means, but I feel like there’s a lot that people haven’t seen me do.

“My only hope and my goal is to show people what I have learned in training. I want to get in there and show it when it counts.”

Having been on boxing’s biggest stages and fought some of that sport’s premier fighters such as Christy Martin and Mia St. John, Holm will be able to put aside any of the outside distractions that come with fighting live on nationally broadcasted TV and focus solely on her fight Friday night.

“I feel like it’s helped me prepare with things mentally,” she said. “When you’ve gone through something that’s a big challenge, it gives you a lot of confidence to overcome the next challenge. It’s helped me be a little more focused and not let the little things get to me.

“Whether people are watching or not, I want to win just as badly, and so I feel like the experience I’ve had with the bigger things in boxing have helped me zone that stuff out and not let it work me up so much.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Galleries

Holly Holm Fights

• 8 months ago

Comments

Watch Former UFC Fighter Cathal Pendred in Trailer for New Amazon Horror Series 'Lore' | MMAWeekly.com

Retired UFC welterweight competitor Cathal Pendred moved into acting after he left fighting behind and it didn't take long for him to land a leading role in a new series. Pendred stars in the upcomin read news >>

If Chuck Liddell ends retirement, he says Chael Sonnen would be easy warmup fight

Chuck Liddell is still retired, but if he does come back, the UFC Hall of Famer likes the idea of fighting Chael Sonnen.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC 216: How The Ferguson vs Lee Feud All Got Started

On the surface, Tony Ferguson may not have been the most obvious next fight for Kevin Lee. But for those who saw them butt heads on FS1 back in June, the fight not only seem likely, but became the fi read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm Is Biggest Women's Fight UFC Can Muster in Down 2017

It's borderline miraculous that Cris "Cyborg" Justino and Holly Holm appear to be closing in on a women's featherweight title fight for UFC 219. Not so long ago, these two women were both down and ou read news >>

Before UFC 216, watch Derrick Lewis take out Viktor Pesta

Derrick Lewis started a bit slowly but finished strong in a UFC 192 bout with Viktor Pesta.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch Derrick Lewis Pummel Viktor Pesta to Kick Off Winning Streak (UFC 216 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Derrick Lewis started a six-fight win streak with a victory over Viktor Pesta in his hometown at UFC 192 in 2015. read news >>

Cris 'Cyborg' Justino-Holly Holm Fight Still in Works Despite Tweet About Money

A matchup between Cris "Cyborg" Justino and Holly Holm is still being negotiated after Justino said Tuesday she had cancelled a meeting with the UFC for financial reasons. "Emotions can run high duri read news >>

Paul Felder's Mom Thought He Was Done Fighting After He Started Commentating Gig | MMAWeekly.com

Paul Felder documents his journey to becoming a color commentary and analyst read news >>

Dana White Confident Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm Will Happen | MMAWeekly.com

Cris "Cyborg" Justino didn't seem very happy with the latest offer for her to face Holly Holm later this year but UFC president Dana White is confident they'll get a deal done. The latest comes direc read news >>

UFC champ Cris Cyborg waiting for right deal to fight Holly Holm at UFC 219

Cris Cyborg could defend her title against Holly Holm at UFC 219. But her manager said a new deal needs to be struck before Cyborg can commit.Filed under: Featured, UFC read news >>