Holly HolmFollowing a year and a half layoff from MMA, boxing champion Holly “Preacher’s Daughter” Holm returned to the sport this past February with a second-round TKO stoppage of Katie Merrill at Bellator 91.

The win not only signified Holm’s return to MMA, but also helped her realize that her future lay in this sport rather than in the one she had accomplished so much in.

“I had two (MMA) fights in 2011 and had been wanting to get back since then,” said Holm. “It was just a great opportunity and actually after that (Bellator) fight and the next boxing match (against Mary McGee in May) I told my coach I was done with boxing.

“I’m just really excited about MMA and I feel like I’ve improved a lot and I’m excited about the fight coming up. I want to take what doors are open and make the best of it. When I felt like my passion for boxing was fading, I decided to make the full jump over.”

Holm (3-0) will look to remain undefeated in MMA as takes on Allanna Jones (2-2) in her promotional debut at Legacy FC 21 in Houston on Friday night. The event airs live on AXS TV.

“I think she’s pretty composed, confident and has had challenges already in her career. So I feel like any time you fight someone like that, it’s a threat,” said Holm of Jones. “She’s not afraid to get in there and has the confidence in herself to do well, so I think that’s the biggest thing to fear in her is her confidence.

“I don’t like to look too much into an exact plan, because you never know what’s going to happen. We have a Plan A and a Plan B and we’ll see how things go.”

With such a storied background in boxing, it would be easy for people to label Holm a one-dimensional fighter, but she told MMAWeekly.com that assessment couldn’t be further from the truth.

“I think I have a lot more that people haven’t seen,” she said. “I think I’m improving every day. It’s not going to happen overnight by any means, but I feel like there’s a lot that people haven’t seen me do.

“My only hope and my goal is to show people what I have learned in training. I want to get in there and show it when it counts.”

Having been on boxing’s biggest stages and fought some of that sport’s premier fighters such as Christy Martin and Mia St. John, Holm will be able to put aside any of the outside distractions that come with fighting live on nationally broadcasted TV and focus solely on her fight Friday night.

“I feel like it’s helped me prepare with things mentally,” she said. “When you’ve gone through something that’s a big challenge, it gives you a lot of confidence to overcome the next challenge. It’s helped me be a little more focused and not let the little things get to me.

“Whether people are watching or not, I want to win just as badly, and so I feel like the experience I’ve had with the bigger things in boxing have helped me zone that stuff out and not let it work me up so much.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Conor McGregor boasts 5,000 attendance for live PPV interview and declares: (Expletive) the UFC

UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor may have started his live interview more than a half-hour late, but in trademark fashion, he got fans talking way before he stepped onstage. Filed under: Featured read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Potential Conor McGregor PPV Fight

The speculation surrounding a potential superfight that would feature retired boxing legend Floyd Mayweather Jr. and UFC star Conor McGregor continues to build in 2017. In a Showtime interview Saturd read news >>

UFC 208: Holly Holm vs. Germaine de Randamie Extended Video Preview | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 208 sees the inaugural women's featherweight title fight between former bantamweight champ Holly Holm and dangerous striker Germaine de Randamie. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Broken at UFC 193, According to Holly Holm's Coach

With Ronda Rousey's UFC future in question following consecutive losses, Holly Holm's coach expressed his belief that the formerly dominant star is done with fighting. In an interview this week with read news >>

UFC 208: Holm vs De Randamie Media Conference Call Live Stream at 5p ET | MMAWeekly.com

Listen to the UFC 208 media call with Holly Holm, Germaine de Randamie, Anderson Silva, and Derek Brunson, live on Friday at 5pm ET / 2pm PT. read news >>

Former champ Holly Holm on UFC 208 145-pound title headliner: Each division has to start somewhere

As former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Holly Holm points out, she didn’t really have a division before Ronda Rousey fought at UFC 157. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 results: Newcomer Volkan Oezdemir takes split from Ovince Saint Preux

HOUSTON – Volkan Oezdemir started strong against Ovince Saint Preux, but was doing good just to remain standing by the time the fight ended. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Holly Holm: 'There has to be a lot that happens' before fighting 'Cyborg'

A fight between Holly Holm and Cristiane Justino has been historically difficult for UFC officials to put together. And it doesn’t seem that trend is going to change going forward.Filed under: News, read news >>

Holly Holm vs. Germaine de Randamie: UFC 208 Countdown Video | MMAWeekly.com

Go inside the lives and camps of former UFC champion Holly Holm and Dutch kickboxer Germaine de Randamie as they train for their UFC 208 historic main event. read news >>

Holly Holm's Decision Win Over Marion Reneau (UFC 208 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Holly Holm's last fight before her historic victory over Ronda Rousey, when she defeated Marion Reneau in July of 2015. Holm headlines UFC 208. read news >>