#Fight Night London #Alexa Grasso #Tatiana Suarez #Kamaru Usman #Demian Maia #Enrique Barzola #Brandon Davis #Claudio Puelles #UFC 224 #Andrea Lee #Veronica Macedo #Conor McGregor

With 'championship language' in new UFC contract, Dustin Poirier ready for title run

UFC lightweight contender Dustin Poirier has a new UFC contract in hand, and it’s the most important one of his career so far.

Poirier, who headlines a UFC card for the fourth time next month when he meets Justin Gaethje at UFC on FOX 29, has lost just one of eight fights over the past three years. He’s coming off a November win over former champ Anthony Pettis, after which he signed a new UFC deal, despite three fights remaining on his existing contract.

“I just rewashed my old contract after my last fight and got a new contract,” Poirier told MMAjunkie. “I got close to my goal. I still believe I’m worth more money, but we’re happy with where we’re at. Me and the UFC are on good terms and like I’ve said, I would fight the rest of my career in the UFC. I want to fight until I’m 35. I would love to do another six years in the UFC, but as of right now I’m happy, and I hope they’re happy.

“I’m going to keep putting on great shows and putting everything into my training camps. That’s all I can do.”

The key element of Poirier’s new contract, he said, is the fact there are terms in place if he becomes UFC lightweight champion. How far off that is from happening remains to be seen, but Poirier said everything is there for a reason.

“I don’t know how many contracts I’ve had with the UFC, but this is my first contract with championship language in it,” Poirier said. “We have a plan figured out for when I win the belt, and it’s in my contract. This is my first contract with that in it, and I’ve had a lot of contracts with the UFC. This is the closest I’ve ever come to being a world champion, and everything is happening like clockwork like it’s supposed to.”

Poirier, No. 10 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA lightweight rankings, will attempt to continue his title run in his UFC on FOX 29 matchup with No. 5-ranked Gaethje, which takes place April 14 at Gila River Arena in Glendale, Ariz. Even with a win, though, “The Diamond” is, like the rest of the divisional contenders, left waiting for the title picture to clear up.

Fortunately, however, it appears the UFC’s April schedule will help bring clarity to the divisional pecking order. One week prior to Poirier’s fight, Tony Ferguson (23-3 MMA, 13-1 UFC) and Khabib Nurmagomedov (25-0 MMA, 9-0 UFC) will clash for the 155-pound title. The winner of that bout would seem like the frontrunner to fight Conor McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC) in his UFC return, and while that would be best for the division, Poirier said only time will tell how everything plays out.

“All these fights that are being made are the top of the division, so maybe the division will play itself out a little bit, and maybe we’ll get a little more solid foundation of where the rankings should be,” Poirier said. “I know they’ve been up in the air with the title held up and the interim title, maybe, and all these guys fighting for the apparent world title. But now that these guys are fighting for the ‘real belt,’ maybe we’ll get a little more clarity in the division.

“My gut is telling me something is going to happen with Conor. I don’t know if he’s going to come back and do a catchweight fight with Georges St-Pierre, or he’s going to do a super fight somewhere, but I feel like he’s going to come back into the mix.”

Poirier said he’s picking Nurmagomedov to defeat Ferguson, who “makes a lot of mistakes,” at UFC 223. If McGregor opts not to come back to fight the winner of that matchup, Poirier thinks there’s a chance he could slide in as the next title contender given the right performance. He acknowledged former WSOF champ Gaethje as a tough test, but Poirier plans to produce a statement win that shows why championship language was put in his contract.

“In my heart I’m hoping I get this W, put on a great performance, show my skills, and I get a title shot next,” Poirier said. “But this is a crazy sport, and we see crazy things happen.”

For more on UFC on FOX 29, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Leslie Smith Planning Legal Action After UFC Essentially Bought Out Her Contract | MMAWeekly.com

In the blink of an eye, Leslie Smith went from ranked UFC fighter to unemployed. She feels it was done unjustly, so she is taking legal action against the UFC. read news >>

Matt Serra to be Inducted into UFC Hall of Fame Class of 2018 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC announced on Saturday that former UFC welterweight champion and winner of season four of The Ultimate Fighter, Matt Serra, has been named to the UFC Hall of Fame class of 2018 as a Pioneer. The 2 read news >>

Former UFC champ Matt Serra joins 2018 UFC Hall of Fame class

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra is getting a spot in the UFC Hall of Fame. read news >>

Siyar Bahadurzada Lands Crippling Body Shot for the KO (UFC Atlantic City Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Siyar Bahadurzada's victory over Luan Chagasat UFC Fight Night 128 on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J. read news >>

Ricky Simon Scores TKO Ref Stoppage... After the Final Bell? (UFC Atlantic City Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Ricky Simon's inexplicable TKO win over Merab Dvalishvili at UFC Fight Night 128 on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J. Dvalishvili never tapped out during the fight and the ref read news >>

Twitter reacts to confusing Ricky Simon-Merab Dvalishvili finish at UFC Atlantic City

Ricky Simon was awarded a TKO victory at UFC Fight Night 128 despite his opponent seemingly making it past the final bell. read news >>

Santiago Ponzinibbio Out of UFC Chile Main Event Fight Against Kamaru Usman | MMAWeekly.com

A hand injury has forced Santiago Ponzinibbio out of his main event fight against Kamaru Usman at UFC Fight Night in Chile on May 19. Sources close to the fight confirmed the news on Saturday followi read news >>

UFC Chile main, co-main events fall apart with Santiago Ponzinibbio, Volkan Oezdemir out

The UFC plans to bring two notable fights atop its debut card Chile have gone awry with UFC Fight Night 129 losing its top two bouts. read news >>

Here's the official poster for the UFC's first event in Utica, N.Y.

Headliners Jimmie Rivera and Marlon Moraes will have “no excuses” on June 1. read news >>

Former NFL Player Greg Hardy to Make Pro MMA Debut on UFC's 'Contender Series'

After playing six seasons in the NFL, Greg Hardy is ready to go pro in another sport. According to MMA Fighting's Dave Doyle , the 29-year-old former defensive end will make ... read news >>

Reports: Ex-NFL standout Greg Hardy to make pro debut with UFC's Dana White's Contender Series

After a trio of amateur fights, former NFL standout Greg Hardy apparently is ready to turn pro in MMA. read news >>

Daily Debate: Is a 165-pound UFC division the answer to one of MMA's biggest problems?

Will a new 165-pound UFC division become a reality and solve one of MMA’s biggest problems? read news >>

CM Punk Featured on Official UFC 225 Fight Poster | MMAWeekly.com

While UFC 225 features not one, but two title fights, the official fight poster also features a bout between two fighters with a combined professional record of 0-2. Yes, you read that right... 0-2. read news >>

Ahead of big bro's UFC headliner, listen to prospect Keith Lee's 10-on-1 street-fight story

The Lee family is a clan of natural-born fighters, it seems. Just don’t mess up their cardigans. read news >>

Should a DWCS alum like Ricky Simon really feel like a UFC newcomer tonight?

On the official ledger, Ricky Simon is making his UFC debut tonight, but is that entirely accurate? read news >>

FOX Sports analyst Yves Edwards breaks down Kevin Lee vs. Edson Barboza at UFC Atlantic City

The UFC Fight Night 128 headliner between Edson Barboza and Kevin Lee presents an intriguing clash of styles. read news >>