Glover Teixeira said he wasn’t happy with his Wednesday performance and that he’d go back to work quickly to shore up holes in his game in case he got a title shot.
Well, now he knows: That title shot will come. Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC), thanks to his first-roudn TKO of Ryan Bader (15-4 MMA, 8-4 UFC) on Wednesday at UFC Fight Night 28, officially became next in line for the UFC’s light heavyweight title.
UFC Director of International Development Marshall Zelaznik confirmed the news at Wednesday’s post-event news conference, citing a conversation with UFC President Dana White, who did not attend the event at Mineirinho Arena in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
Teixeira survived a barrage from Bader that knocked him down in the first round of the FOX Sports 1-televised main event, then got back to his feet and sneaked a pair of punches through that put Bader on the canvas. From there, the Brazilian fan favorite pounded the “TUF 8? winner out for his 20th straight victory to stay unbeaten in the UFC.
With the win, Teixeira will fight the winner of the next light heavyweight title fight between champion Jon Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) and Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC), who meet later this month in the main event of UFC 165 in Toronto.
“To tell you the truth, I wasn’t happy with this fight,” Teixeira said immediately after the fight. “I was disappointed he was able to knock me down. … But I’m telling you, this belt is going to be mine. It doesn’t matter if it’s Jon Jones or Gustafsson. It’s mine.”
A potential fight with Teixeira is one Jones already has talked about, should he get past Gustafsson. “He’s a guy on my radar, and that’s a fight that I want,” Jones said during a press tour earlier this year.
A timetable for a Teixeira title fight against the Jones-Gustafsson winner obviously can’t be determined until the UFC 165 main event is over, but it’s likely to not be until early 2014 at the soonest.view original article >>
Brazil’s loss is Canada’s gain as Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov has been moved to Winnipeg.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC welterweight Gunnar Nelson’s attempt to appeal his TKO loss to Santiago Ponzinibbio failed.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Henry Cejudo looked like a new man in the cage Saturday at UFC 215. No, seriously, he looked like a different person—like a miniature, right-handed Conor McGregor. Cejudo certainly had some surprises read news >>
Former middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is back after a year off to face David Branch in the main event of Fight Night Pittsburgh on September 16. read news >>
UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has a partial tear of his labrum, and surgery is an option, SiriusXM Radio's R.J. Clifford reported Tuesday. According to Clifford, Woodley will explore all of read news >>
Relive the most thrilling moments of UFC 215: Nunes vs. Shevchenko 2 in super-slow motion in the latest installment of Fight Motion. read news >>
Valentina Shevchenko is not going quietly after dropping a split decision to Amanda Nunes. read news >>
Pedro Munhoz will look to extend his winning streak in a hometown fight in Sao Paulo against Rob Font.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Jon Jones is now likely to go to arbitration with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in an attempt to clear his name. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
UFC fighter Jon Jones' B sample reportedly tested positive for a banned substance. Brett Okamoto of ESPN.com reported the news Tuesday, noting the B sample was for Jones' failed drug test from July 2 read news >>