#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Paul Daley #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Lorenz Larkin #Yushin Okami #Roy Nelson

Marlon Moraes was on schedule to make 135 pounds last week for his World Series of Fighting bout against Miguel Torres, but when Hurricane Sandy struck where he was staying in New Jersey, things got tougher.

“The storm didn’t really affect my training camp, but this last week, I needed a gym. I needed everything to cut weight,” Moraes told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show. “But … I had no gas, nobody to go to the gym, no gyms open.”

The Brazilian, who was training with Frankie Edgar in Toms River, N.J., weighed 150 pounds on the Monday before the fight. With nowhere to work out, he ended up jumping a lot of rope in the house he was staying in and also resorted to running around the kitchen.

“In the kitchen, a hundred times,” Moraes said with a laugh. “Each time, one, two, three, four. My wife, she said, ‘You’re crazy.’ I said, ‘I’m not crazy. I need to make the weight.’”

Moraes made it, and he also scored the biggest win of his career the next day by outpointing Torres for a split decision.

“I’m so happy to fight against him,” said Moraes, who expressed considerable respect for the former WEC bantamweight champion. “I think this fight’s going to bring me into the mix now. Now I’m in the mix.”

Despite his excitement after knocking off Torres, though, Moraes is still moved by the damage he witnessed in New Jersey.

“It was crazy,” he said. “I’ve never seen something like that. I’m from Brazil and I saw a couple of things in Brazil, but man, it’s crazy. The hurricane is something unbelievable.”

Moraes actually lives in Jupiter, Fla., but after spending his training camp in New Jersey, he wants to help out the area however he can.

“All the world and the country, they’ve got to get together,” Moraes said. “They’ve got to do something to help because the people there, they really, really need help now. We fighters, now we’ve got to try to do something. I’m going to talk with Frankie and the guys there. We’ve got to try to find some help. They really, really need help now.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:37).

Comments

McGregor vs. Mayweather: Odds, Fight Card Schedule and Predictions

This is it. Saturday is when all the hype and trash talk between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor reaches its peak, as the two will face off in the boxing ring at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor: Fight Time, PPV Schedule, Odds and Predictions

Tonight, history will be made inside the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas as Floyd Mayweather Jr. will take on Conor McGregor in the biggest fight in combat sports history. This fight could go one of two read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor: Undercard Schedule, Online Odds and Picks

For many people, Las Vegas will feel like the center of the universe on Saturday, when Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor finally step into the ring for their supremely hyped boxing match. They read news >>

John Dodson Announces His Fight Against Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night in Virginia | MMAWeekly.com

A bantamweight scrap has been added to the UFC card in Norfolk, VA on Nov. 11 read news >>

John Dodson says he's fighting Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night 120 in Virginia

This fall’s UFC Fight Night 120 lineup has an intriguing bantamweight addition with John Dodson vs. Marlon Moraes.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Meet 'The Ultimate Fighter 26' cast: Sijara Eubanks, who wasn't about to let 10 pounds deter her

Sijara Eubanks had made the 125-pound cut once and didn’t like it one bit but said “(expletive) it, I’m a flyweight now” when a huge opportunity presented itself.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Did Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee's UFC Interim Title Fight Just Lose 10 Pounds? | MMAWeekly.com

A fight between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee has been booked for UFC 216. The bout is supposed to crown an interim UFC lightweight champion. According to a Las Vegas billboard, however, it appears the read news >>

UFC 215 Fight Card: PPV Schedule, Odds and Predictions for Nunes vs. Schevchenko

The UFC 215 fight card has experienced some shakeups, but the Edmonton, Alberta crowd at Rogers Place will still be treated to the culmination of a bitter rivalry in the Amanda Nunes-Valentina Shevch read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Neil Magny Result: Winner and Reaction from UFC 215

Rafael dos Anjos is here to stay at 170 pounds. Facing Neil Magny in the show's co-main event, the former lightweight champion put on an absolutely dominant performance, scoring a first-round submiss read news >>

John Dodson Faces Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night 120 | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of top 10 ranked bantamweights will meet at UFC Fight Night 120 on November 11. No. 8 ranked John Dodson and No. 10 ranked Marlon Moraes will square off inside the octagon. UFC officials annou read news >>