Tony Lopez - King of the CageEnding a year with a loss is never something anyone wants to do, but it’s even more so disappointing when that loss comes in controversial fashion.

Such is the case when Tony “Kryptonite” Lopez lost to Trevor “South African Hammer” Prangley on Dec. 20 of last year at KOTC: Vigilante via technical decision. The “technical” part of the decision came when Prangley could not continue after Lopez landed an illegal knee in the fourth round of their light-heavyweight title fight.

“I had him up against the cage and pulled him down and went to throw a knee to the body, and he started coming up, so I figured I’d let him get up so I could land the knee to his head and finish him off, but I mistimed it,” Lopez explained to MMAWeekly.com. “His knee was still on the ground and I skinned him enough to where they stopped it and it went to a decision.”

Prangley took the decision, but Lopez feels the fight should have gone his way.

“I know I won the first round and the fourth round was all me, but the second and third, he did take me down and was on top most of the time, but from the bottom I felt like I was doing more damage to him than he was doing to me,” Lopez recounted. “It felt like he was just hanging on to me from the top position and just weather the storm rather than better his position and try to strike with me.”

When asked if he’s moved past the fight, Lopez responded to MMAWeekly.com with a chuckle, “Not really.

“I try, but it burns at me to this day. Why did I throw that knee? I’ve never thrown a knee like that in any of the fights I’ve had. I’d been working on being more aggressive and I think that’s where it came into play. I’m looking forward to a rematch sometime this year.”

Before he can get a possible rematch with Prangley, Lopez must first turn his attention to Thursday night, when he’ll defend his KOTC heavyweight title in a rematch against Nick Rossborough on MAV TV from the San Manuel Casino & Resort in Highland, Calif.

“The last time I fought him, it was a close fight and could have gone either way, but I came out with the win,” said Lopez. “It was three rounds with no title on the line, this time it’s five rounds with my title on the line, so I want to make sure there’s no decision this time.

“With my game plan, it’s going to be a different fight. It’s about more defense on my part and take less damage, and at the same time, be more aggressive and commit my punches and kicks and put him into a world of hurt so he doesn’t want to keep coming.”

As for the remainder of 2013, Lopez wants to continue to sharpen himself, even though at 39 years of age he knows the end is not too far off for his career.

“This year I’ve got to be better than I was before,” he said. “Last year I had a couple losses, and while I had a couple wins, I went to decisions a couple times and I’ve got to fix all that.

“Now I’m near the end of my career, so I’ve got to go out with a bang, go out looking good like the way I should have been looking these past couple years. That’s my New Year’s resolution.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>

Scratched from UFC 208 due to eye issue, Luis Henrique says his career options now limited

Luis Henrique said his career options have dwindled after he was pulled from Saturday’s UFC 208 lineup. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Inside the impressive career facts and figures for UFC 208 co-headliner Anderson Silva

Former longtime pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva once again returns to the octagon on Saturday when he takes on Derek Brunson in the UFC 208 co-main event. Get a look at his impressive career numb read news >>

Holm vs. De Randamie: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 208

The UFC will add a new champion to the fold when Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie close out UFC 208 on Saturday, February 11, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The main event features read news >>

Germaine de Randamie Looking to Solidify Fighting Career with UFC Title | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC will crown its first female 145-pound champion at UFC 208 on Saturday. Either Germaine de Randamie or Holly Holm will make history. read news >>

Anderson Silva Wins, Decisions Derek Brunson (UFC 208 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champion Anderson Silva picked up his 34th career win on Saturday when he defeated Derek Brunson by unanimous decision at UFC 208. read news >>

Fedor Intends to End His Career with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Former Pride champion Fedor Emelianenko doesn't appear likely to ever set foot in the Octagon. He wants to finish his career in the Bellator cage. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Informs UFC of Retirement from MMA, Removed from Drug Testing Pool

Brock Lesnar's mixed martial arts career appears to be over. A UFC spokesperson on Tuesday told MMA Fighting's Marc Raimondi the former UFC heavyweight champion informed the company of his retirement read news >>